Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a nice area to rent

Options
  • 06-12-2013 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Looking for an apartment in or near Galway City (on the bus route would be grand)
    I'd like something between 300€ and 400€ a month.

Where would be a good place?

(We're keeping an eye on Daft.ie and Rent.ie, any other suggestions?)

Comments

You should keep an eye on the Galway Advertiser classified section.
    Other than that the going rate for a two bed in the city is about double your budget. You might have to consider renting a room and sharing with others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What pg633 about price. Now, where (roughly) are ye working? If parkmore/ballbrit ye would probably be better off living that side of river unless you don't work 'usual' admin/office hours. It'll help narrow down your search in a big big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

I meant 300-400 each! that's between 600 and 800 euro.
    I work in Parkmore but she works in town I think, but I drive so IDK where'd be best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Aah me see, well check out the 409 bus eireann route - picking an area along that would be optimal for both your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, I've edited title and first post so it doesn't look like an advert (which isn't ok here).
    Daft and Galway Advertiser are the best options to find a place.

• Advertisement

If you have a car and your partner doesn't I would suggest living near town.

I live on the Headford Road and it is very convenient to be able to walk into town as needed. Prices are a bit higher but you might recover some of that from saved bus fares, parking, taxis or whatever. Just be sure you have parking for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

Roscam? College Road? 800 would get u a house in Renmore this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

You would get a reasonable decent place in Salthill for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

JillyQ wrote: »
    You would get a reasonable decent place in Salthill for that price.

Salthill to Parkmore is a decent spin though. Used to do it myself and sometimes you could be up to an hour getting home at 4pm!

L'prof wrote: »
    Salthill to Parkmore is a decent spin though. Used to do it myself and sometimes you could be up to an hour getting home at 4pm!

Did it myself as well. Traffic can be a bit of a pain, But would still never live the other side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did it myself as well. Traffic can be a bit of a pain, But would still never live the other side of the city.

Because?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Because?

West is best.
    It's all down the to "magic bridge" effect.

Everything east of the river is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id agree. I grew up in Salthill and live in Newcastle now. Never liked the east side of the city. Its just not as nice.

Because?

My most of my activities outside of work are based on this side of the City. Plus I also grew up in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My most of my activities outside of work are based on this side of the City. Plus I also grew up in Salthill.

Finally a sensible reason ... which probably won't apply to the OP. (I'd get a slapping if I said what I really think of the "magical bridge effect").

Salthill is very sweet'n all, if you like your suburbs full of holiday houses and without a community centre (the mother-and-baby group meets in a pub, ffs!).

But it's got a shyte bus-service, horrible parking problems, and a "seafront" that gets invaded by 1/2 of Galway on every fine day. And it's a pain to get to Parkmore from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The "magic bridge effect" is a well documented phenomena and is widely accepted as being a real and tangible part of life in Galway.

Only those unlucky enough to live in the east would deny it.

The whest is bhest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

(the mother-and-baby group meets in a pub, ffs!).
    my wife attended two mom and baby groups in salthill and neither were in a pub.... also various other breastfeeding, toddler, sling wearing etc groups west of the river and none of them were in a pub either.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Finally a sensible reason ... which probably won't apply to the OP. (I'd get a slapping if I said what I really think of the "magical bridge effect").

Salthill is very sweet'n all, if you like your suburbs full of holiday houses and without a community centre (the mother-and-baby group meets in a pub, ffs!).

But it's got a shyte bus-service, horrible parking problems, and a "seafront" that gets invaded by 1/2 of Galway on every fine day. And it's a pain to get to Parkmore from there.

Inverse snobbery.

Advertisement