Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner!

Options
  • 06-12-2013 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I have been a vegetarian since i was 7 and just wondered what others did for their Christmas dinner.

I have mine (im 29 now!) at home with my family. Generally my mom sources a quorn roast or some sort of nut burger/roast as my "meat" on my plate. I am more than happy with just the veg/stuffing etc.

I am just curious as to what others do? I suppose if i was not eating at home i might not have such a traditional dinner but i do love it. Sprouts = YUM!

Also has anyone found a nice pre-made replacement for the meat portion of their Christmas dinner (doesnt have to be fake meat) as my mom does like me to have some sort of replacement ? I am not a fan of Quorn tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Nut roast. Usually home made. And then all the veg, the stuffing (which never actually gets 'stuffed' in an animal in my house these days), veggie gravy, vegan christmas cake/pudding/mince pies/ice cream. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I do a baked butternut squash and leek gratin. I like the traditional veg and spuds that go with Christmas dinner so always cook something to eat with them

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Had a Mushroom Wellington one year. It's still my favorite.

I did Savoy with Seasonal Friends but I wasn't crazy about it. I think (I know) that I undercooked the cabbage: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/dec/17/vegetarian-christmas-dinner-allegra-mcevedy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Can anyone share a tree nut and pine nut free recipe? I'm feeding a vegan and someone who's deathly allergic to nuts at the same table. The risk of cross contamination is too high for my tastes (nut girl will have a face full of hives if a nut eater gives her a social Christmas peck on the cheek for instance). I'm looking at experimenting with some filo pastry parcels at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Going with a Sally Butcher recipe for the third year in a row. Making it this morning so I can relax tomorrow.
    Swooning Imam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

First Christmas as a veggie!

Nut roast with cranberry jus and red wine gravy
    Hasselback potatoes
    Roasted carrots and parsnips with honey mustard
    Butternut squash, brussel sprouts and bread stuffing with apples

Oatmeal and cranberry raisin cookies for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

I got fed up with everyone asking me 'If you're vegetarian, then what do you eat for Xmas dinner?" so this year, I took a photo of our family's Xmas dinner to show em. (see attached)

From left to right
    Roast chestnut and veggie sausage stuffing
    Brussel Sprouts
    Honey Mustard sauce
    2 Quorn roasts with garlic and rosemary roast potatoes
    Another stuffing (we made too much but it still got eaten)
    Roast carrots and parsnips
    Mushroom risotto filo parcels
    Garlic butter mushrooms
    Cranberry sauce
    Sweet onion gravy (not pictured)

Advertisement