Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure race in March

Options
  • 06-12-2013 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I saw an update on the KAR facebook page saying that they are looking at holding an event around St. Patricks day, Does anyone have any details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

http://stpatricksdayadventurerace.com/index.php

regristration is open. only 500 places

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

What type of bike of would be recomended. A racer or hybrid?

There is 8km gravel path. On website it says a racer but surely a hybrid be better suited

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

daviddenis wrote: »
    What type of bike of would be recomended. A racer or hybrid?

There is 8km gravel path. On website it says a racer but surely a hybrid be better suited

Cross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Road bike with good puncture resistant tyres. It's only a crappy wee messy race, not a proper AR, so road bikes in these type of events (with a presumption that you can ride the bike, as opposed to just sit on it and pedal).

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Enduro
    Why do you consider it to be a crappy wee messy race?

• Advertisement

nok2008 wrote: »
    Enduro

I dislike agreeing with Enduro (URI links :)) but in this case he is right. This WAR and similar aren't Adventure Racing, just enabling box ticking by chunky blokes and birds.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    I dislike agreeing with Enduro (URI links :)) but in this case he is right. This WAR and similar aren't Adventure Racing, just enabling box ticking by chunky blokes and birds.
    The same people that box tick here, do it in marathon, tri and 10k fun runs. (I once was that soldier, getting a slow handclap finish, five hours in. Happy memories. :mad:) But at the pointy end, them that race are actually quite good. No, the race is not an AR, just a multisport run with muddy bits and a few hills and a kayak section because no-one can swim. It does need its own title because it is as much an AR as I am Charlize Theron, but plenty of them are tougher than your average town hall sprint tri.

Oryx wrote: »
    The same people that box tick here, do it in marathon, tri and 10k fun runs. (I once was that soldier, getting a slow handclap finish, five hours in. Happy memories. :mad:) But at the pointy end, them that race are actually quite good. No, the race is not an AR, just a multisport run with muddy bits and a few hills and a kayak section because no-one can swim. It does need its own title because it is as much an AR as I am Charlize Theron, but plenty of them are tougher than your average town hall sprint tri.

Good reply, reminds me I've an email longer over due to respond to

Enduro

And just to follow up, try googling for Adventure Racing and looking at what you see from outside Ireland. Even the wikipedia entry should give an insight into what AR actually is.

The Killarney race is just a small multi-sports race. All these messy races are just trying to follow the commercial success of Gael Force, which was the original in this country. But funnily enough Geal Force was originally two races, GF6 and GF12. Gael Force 12 was a proper adventure race. Gael force 6 was.... well to quote the organisers...

" ‘Gaelforce 6’ will be for the novice racer or ‘armchair adventurer’ and will be completed over a six-hour course involving mountain biking, trekking and kayaking."

(You can see the original press article here. GF6 became hugely popular, presumably because it was so easy to do in comparison the the GF12 adventure race, to the extent that it took over the name.

googled the definition of AR and looks like I wont be completing one of those anytime soon!

I will have to stick to the multi-discipline races and the box-ticking. Only entering them for my own fitness and to have some targets to aim for. Won't be coming in anywhere near the top but better than sitting on couch eating rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Tunney / Enduro / Other tyre Kickers

1 - yes its officially not an 'Adventure race' but you're going to having to accept that Multiport races in Ireland are now called / branded Adventure races. That battle is well lost. I don't agree with it myself but move on.

2 - Could ye not just try and be a bit friendly towards new posters in the forums - Yes you did give him some advice about the bike choice - but also gave them a bit of a lecture too.
    Most are new to the sport / some getting fit for the first time which should be applauded in this day and age ( with crazy stats such as 1 in 4 Irish Adults obese). Yes the market is now flooded with these races - and other 'run' type challenges....some races and organisers are taking the piss with fees etc... yes it annoying... but there are races for all types and sizes, people do tick boxes, not everyone wants to be a top finisher.... many people need to accept this.

;)

ps I have nothing to do with this race or any other race.

g Won't be coming in anywhere near the top but better than sitting on couch eating rubbish!

Absolutely!

And don't be afraid to give a real AR a go. There are some good races in Ireland, such as the Beast of Ballyhoura. Because they are team events you don't need to be able to navigate. Just have someone on your team that can! (And remember that because AR events are longer you have to go slower, so you have less need to worry about how fast you can run or cycle or kayak)

trihead wrote: »

1 - yes its officially not an 'Adventure race' but you're going to having to accept that Multiport races in Ireland are now called / branded Adventure races. That battle is well lost. I don't agree with it myself but move on.

2 - Could ye not just try and be a bit friendly towards new posters in the forums - Yes you did give him some advice about the bike choice - but also gave them a bit of a lecture too.
    Most are new to the sport / some getting fit for the first time which should be applauded in this day and age ( with crazy stats such as 1 in 4 Irish Adults obese). Yes the market is now flooded with these races - and other 'run' type challenges....some races and organisers are taking the piss with fees etc... yes it annoying... but there are races for all types and sizes, people do tick boxes, not everyone wants to be a top finisher.... many people need to accept this.

;)

Are you saying I'm a tyre Kicker! That's a a new one.

(1) I don't accept that race organisers ripping people off by charging by taking money for something that they don't deliver on is acceptable. I never will. In the same way that there would be plenty of people in this forum would not be impressed at any race organiser who deliberated put on a sprint ditance tri but marketed it as an ironman/LD event.

(2) If I have an issue it's not with the vast majority of competitors, its with (a) the organisers who know damn well its not an AR, but happily market it as such and (b) competitors with enough knowledge to know that they are not racing an AR, but still claim that they are. The former are dishonest. The latter are at least only fooling themselves.

trihead wrote: »

;)

Emmmm I don't have to accept anything. Especially when the reason I'm told to accept things is when the facts of the matter are pointed out it offends people, or may offend people.

I think in future I'll just avoid "adventure racing" threads.

I suppose it really is a case of "good" branding and marketing but I do agree that it does no harm to point it out especially when compared to a real AR. I did the medium distance in Killarney in Oct and had a great / tiring day out . So aiming for 3 multisport races and tris this year.

Anyhow sorry for hijacking thread but was genuinely interested in why this was not considered to be an AR.

Advertisement