Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of Foam and Fury (Galway Bay)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

When I was there last night the barman thought it wouldn't be back in for a while, so that's good news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just had some of the second batch. I have no idea how he did it, but it's even better than the first. The nose in un-fecking-real. It's the same beer, just more so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had a glass last night, didnt notice any difference in taste. Which is good, I cant stand Irish micros tendency to change recipes from batch to batch

drumswan wrote: »
    Had a glass last night, didnt notice any difference in taste. Which is good, I cant stand Irish micros tendency to change recipes from batch to batch

He didn't change the recipe. The pacific jade just came through more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

For all you hop-heads out there...

Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi Can 355ML ABV 6.8%...SPECIAL OFFER STOCK DATED 13/01/14, €2.00 a can

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Ska-Brewing-Modus-Hoperandi-Ca-662502000164/

Share the love of the humble hop :D;)

• Advertisement

MonstaMash wrote: »
    For all you hop-heads out there...

Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi Can 355ML ABV 6.8%...SPECIAL OFFER STOCK DATED 13/01/14, €2.00 a can

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Ska-Brewing-Modus-Hoperandi-Ca-662502000164/

Share the love of the humble hop :D;)

Ah jaysis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I cant stand Irish micros tendency to change recipes from batch to batch

I don't think they change recipes, it's just hard to always replicate them when you have different qualities of malt and hops being delivered and they don't have the most sophisticated brewing equipment.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I don't think they change recipes, it's just hard to always replicate them when you have different qualities of malt and hops being delivered and they don't have the most sophisticated brewing equipment.

This.
    One batch of hops will be slightly different to the next in acid content. Malt, even two batches from the same supplier, can vary between batches.
    Even things like temperature changes can be an issue. They (most Irish brewers) are working in such small batches that a change in climatic temperature can effect their brews in various ways, if it takes longer to ferment the beer because of it being colder than you'd like and you are dry hopping, then the hops are in for longer, there's really not much you can do about it either. When I was down in the metalman brewery last spring Grá was trying to heat fermentation tanks with a small space heater to keep things going!

It's easier to keep things consistent in bigger batches, that why O'Hara's never have consistency issues, their scale is so much bigger than everyone else. Small batch breweries always have and always will, at times, have differences between certain batches of beer, it's just the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

irish_goat wrote: »

Many micro breweries do actually alter their recipe from time to time. They tweak it and I know Chris does it. The current batch of Of foam and fury is slightly different to the first batch as he tries to perfect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saruman wrote: »
    Many micro breweries do actually alter their recipe from time to time. They tweak it and I know Chris does it. The current batch of Of foam and fury is slightly different to the first batch as he tries to perfect it.

Yeah, Howling Gale is now a far superior beer to what it was when it first came out.
    I was surprised to find serious inconsistency in O' Hara's beer the other day, though.

Troubles Sabotage is a different beer than at launch, I suspect Kinnegar and Bo Bristle beers are the same. All of these have changed for the better mind, so Im not sure its a complaint as such.

I know Galway Bay do an actual pilot series, so you know in advance you are buying a 5 euro + experiment.

Do these lads have small pilot kit to experiment on before scaling up to commercial production levels?

Troubles Sabotage is a different beer than at launch, I suspect Kinnegar and Bo Bristle beers are the same. All of these have changed for the better mind, so Im not sure its a complaint as such.

I know Galway Bay do an actual pilot series, so you know in advance you are buying a 5 euro + experiment.

Do these lads have small pilot kit to experiment on before scaling up to commercial production levels?

Well until very recently, Kinnegar's entire operation was on a tiny kit so they would have had to change recipes when scaling up to full production launch a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Anyone know what availability of Foam and Fury is these days?

Hoping to swing by Against the Grain this week to finally try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It was in Brewdock last weekend. Shouldn't be any issue finding it in ATG. It's also just been bottled so keep an eye out.

Saruman wrote: »
    It was in Brewdock last weekend. Shouldn't be any issue finding it in ATG. It's also just been bottled so keep an eye out.

Thanks, I'm keen to try on tap before bottle and I know once I see it in bottle I won't have the willpower to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Galway Bay have posted on Facebox that they will be bottling this week and we can expect it in shops nationwide 'very soon'.

:)

Got to try a couple on Saturday.

Very nice, I think I had built it up a bit too much, but certainly will pick up a few bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

dub_skav wrote: »
    I think I had built it up a bit too much

Me too

It was a solid, solid beer don't get me wrong but wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's sh1te. Completely overrated and not pleasant at all.

Are you reading this, Seaneh? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I also found it over rated. A double IPA should punch you in the mouth, like Hardcore IPA does. This is too sweet (i.e. not bitter enough) and the hops are too fruity, and lacking a kick. It's over priced relative to the duty and ingredients that went into it, and I've no doubt it when it hits the off trade it will also be overpriced (I saw O'Hara's one and a quarter IPA on sale today in an offy for €4.39 for a 500ml :eek:)

There are two very good Irish IPAs out there at the moment, Galaxy by Trouble, and Your Auld One('s Amber Ale) brewed at Five Lamps.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I also found it over rated. A double IPA should punch you in the mouth, like Hardcore IPA does. This is too sweet (i.e. not bitter enough) and the hops are too fruity, and lacking a kick. It's over priced relative to the duty and ingredients that went into it, and I've no doubt it when it hits the off trade it will also be overpriced (I saw O'Hara's one and a quarter IPA on sale today in an offy for €4.39 for a 500ml :eek:)
    Think you were served the wrong beer. And price has no relevance to flavour or whether a beer is 'overrated'.
    There are two very good Irish IPAs out there at the moment, Galaxy by Trouble, and Your Auld One('s Amber Ale) brewed at Five Lamps.
    Amber ale is not IPA, it's a totally different style. Galaxy is probably closer to amber ale also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Tried this beer on two occasions.
    Very good beer, but I did find it a bit on the sweet/chewy side if I'm honest.
    I little overrated IMO, but I can understand why.... Our first proper big hoppy DIPA!
    I hope more breweries follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I see bottles on drinkstore.ie... Any sign of them in real life stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

McHughs in Artane and Kilbarrack have it in store. €5.79 a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

hamsterboy wrote: »
    I see bottles on drinkstore.ie... Any sign of them in real life stores?

Yup, drinkstore on Manor St, Stoneybatter.

Redmonds has stock too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Anywhere in Galway. Was talking to a barman in The Cottage and he reckoned it would be two weeks before they see bottles
    :O
    Find it hard to believe they went to Dublin first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Anywhere in Galway. Was talking to a barman in The Cottage and he reckoned it would be two weeks before they see bottles
    :O
    Find it hard to believe they went to Dublin first

I assume it's on draft all the time in The Cottage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They had it in Whelans off license on Friday. Raging now I didn't pick some up and went for Goose Island instead.

Well, that's a lie, I could never be unhappy with Goose Island, but raging I didn't get some Foam and Fury too :)

Advertisement