Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy Milk for men

Options
  • 06-12-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey,

I'v been using soy milk for cooking and tea etc for a good few months now. I'v also been hearing that taking a lot of soy has estrogen effects on men and recently I have been advised against taking soy protein as it develps man-boobs! (sorry if this sounds funny, but it was literally how i was told!)

Do any other Vegi men drink soy? Any comment/experience on the above?Do they have any nice alternatives that are easy to come by (oat milk?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

There has been a lot of talk about the effects on mens, and on womens estrogen levels. I'm a woman but I avoid soy milk as it is harder to come by organic soy milk regularly, and of all foods to prioritise as buying organic, soy is one of them, for me personaly, due to the high levels of GMO soy used.

I use almond milk instead, unsweetened, it's generally widely available now, and I much prefer it to soy milk, so that might be an option for you. It depends on your own taste buds and preferences really, I never drink a glass of it straight, just use it in porridge and other cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

roweeeeena wrote: »
    There has been a lot of talk about the effects on mens, and on womens estrogen levels. I'm a woman but I avoid soy milk as it is harder to come by organic soy milk regularly, and of all foods to prioritise as buying organic, soy is one of them, for me personaly, due to the high levels of GMO soy used.

I use almond milk instead, unsweetened, it's generally widely available now, and I much prefer it to soy milk, so that might be an option for you. It depends on your own taste buds and preferences really, I never drink a glass of it straight, just use it in porridge and other cooking.

Almond milk is not a bad idea actually, is it available in any common supermarket (tesco, supervalue, sainsburys etc?)

After a bit of googleing, i havnt see any conclusive evidence to say men shouldn't drink soy daily as part of a regular diet, but none to dampen the rumors either.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Depends where you live I guess, but I get it everywhere in Dublin city centre, in tesco, dunnes, spar etc. They all have fresh or UHT versions, sweetened or unsweetened. If you can't see it with the fresh milk, sometimes the UHT version is hiding in the 'free from' aisle :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Both men and women should shun soy millk because it is highly processed, inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals and contains harmful anti-nutrients and neurotoxins. Almond millk is a better option, or better yet coconut millk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

folamh wrote: »
    inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals and contains harmful anti-nutrients and neurotoxins

Any evidence for this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I have no problem with soy as long as it's GM Free.

folamh wrote: »
    Both men and women should shun soy millk because it is highly processed, inhibits the absorption of vitamins and minerals and contains harmful anti-nutrients and neurotoxins. Almond millk is a better option, or better yet coconut millk.

I am more interested in what i have heard about taking a lot of soy has estrogen effects on men. If anyone has evidence or experiences on this point is what I would like to hear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I've been drinking it for years and I don't have boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Ah the old soy gives men boobs myth.

"Soy foods do not contain estrogen, although they do contain isoflavone phytochemicals that fall in the “phytoestrogen” or “plant” estrogen grouping. Clinical evidence indicates that soy foods do not feminize men, lower their testosterone levels or lower their sperm concentration. Soy foods may actually offer men specifically several health benefits. For example, evidence suggests soy foods may be protective against prostate cancer."

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recipe-doctor/2011/03/four-soy-food-myths-exposed.html

That said, almond, oat, rice etc milk are all very tasty. Roweeena, I've seen Alpro Organic in most shops that stock Alpro.

Thank you holding, much appricate the response and source. :)
    holding wrote: »
    Ah the old soy gives men boobs myth.

"Soy foods do not contain estrogen, although they do contain isoflavone phytochemicals that fall in the “phytoestrogen” or “plant” estrogen grouping. Clinical evidence indicates that soy foods do not feminize men, lower their testosterone levels or lower their sperm concentration. Soy foods may actually offer men specifically several health benefits. For example, evidence suggests soy foods may be protective against prostate cancer."

http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-recipe-doctor/2011/03/four-soy-food-myths-exposed.html

That said, almond, oat, rice etc milk are all very tasty. Roweeena, I've seen Alpro Organic in most shops that stock Alpro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement