Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northsider or from North Dublin

Options
  • 06-12-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Need help settling an argument, this seems like the place to attract the right crowd to answer.

So the question here is does the term "Northsider" apply to everyone in county Dublin north of the liffey, or only people in the City that are North of the liffey?

For example, are people from CastleKnock and further west northsiders even though they're outside the city?

Definition of "NorthSider" 29 votes

Everwhere in Co.Dublin North of the Liffey
    0% 0 votes
    Only parts of Dublin City North of the Liffey
    100% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BizzyC wrote: »
    Need help settling an argument, this seems like the place to attract the right crowd to answer.

So the question here is does the term "Northsider" apply to everyone in county Dublin north of the liffey, or only people in the City that are North of the liffey?

For example, are people from CastleKnock and further west northsiders even though they're outside the city?

Back in the Day, Northsiders lived between the Liffey and Santry, which was the edge of civilisation.
    Swords was a country village, Rush and Skerries were where you went for your holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In the context of being originally from Stonybatter I could say that I am a Northsider, but having lived most of my life in Skerries I would more consider myself to be a Fingallian now.

My own personal take on this is that a Northsider is someone living in Dublin City to the north of the Liffey.

As for people from Castleknock - you should ask in the Dublin City or Dublin West forums. Really, you would get the best responses to your questions in the Dublin City forum. (PM me if you want this thread moved.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't think of us out here in the North county as Northsiders. I'm originally from Donnycarney and was a Northsider then all right.
    It's my understanding that Northsiders live within the city limits whereas we're in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd consider myself a northsider alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

In the context of being originally from Stonybatter I could say that I am a Northsider, but having lived most of my life in Skerries I would more consider myself to be a Fingallian now.

My own personal take on this is that a Northsider is someone living in Dublin City to the north of the Liffey.

As for people from Castleknock - you should ask in the Dublin City or Dublin West forums. Really, you would get the best responses to your questions in the Dublin City forum. (PM me if you want this thread moved.)

That's really interesting because (here's the history bit) when the Norman invasion of Ireland took place, neither the Irish or the Vikings were able to withstand the military force of the invaders. The initial Norman invasion happened in the south east of the country but when they came to Dublin, where they later fortified Dublin (castle area) with a massive wall, which was what Normans did when they successfully invaded anywhere, they drove the Vikings into what was called Oxmanstown, which is approximately the Stoneybatter/Cabra area of Dublin. It could be said that this action created the first Dublin "Northsider." True story!

Secondly, just as an aside (another history bit). The name "Fingal" is said to come from the phrase "Fair Stranger" (or something similar) which was used to describe the Nordic looking Viking invaders who arrived on the east coast in towns like Rush, Loughshinny and Skerries, to name but a few.

So it would seem the Vikings were the first Dublin "Northsider" but prior to that the Vikings were the first "Fingallians" and that is where the local authority area of Fingal gets the name.

#justsayin' :D

Ooh and my point!!! That there is a distinction between being a Northsider and a Fingallian. So The Hill Billy your geographical terminology is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

I know people who grew up in Fingal still considered "blow ins" by older residents of Fingal because their parents came from the country or the city. Once your family serves 3-4 generations of residency you can claim citizenship.:pac:

Incidentally studies have shown that single women from Fingal that went to work in Dublin(back then they didn't have the wages to commute daily from Rush, Lusk etc) lived around the main transport routes on the Northside. Same pattern is seen all over the city were you have pockets of people from the same county. Many of the Fingal Maidens married and settled with their families on the Northside, a good proportion of Northsiders today are descended from Fingal natives.

I don't know about the theory about the Vikings being the first Northsiders, the local Irish would surely claim that.

I don't know about the theory about the Vikings being the first Northsiders, the local Irish would surely claim that.

Ah but it must be remembered that the vikings established Dublin as a port/city (large town) so they were the first "Dubliners" to be established (or Dyflinn-ers as they would have been at the time).

Most of the native Irish (not all but most) would have established themselves around monasteries at the time for trading purposes.

Take Lusk for example. If you look at that from a Google Earth perspective you can see how the village developed out in a radiated fashion from the Round Tower which would have housed monks at the time. For example, monks made beer, cheese and bread so they needed barley, milk and wheat. They were fortified so couldn't have swathes of land and an open compound. It is reasonable to theorise that people/native Irish would settle around the monastery for trading purposes. Probably bartering and exchanging goods. The natives growing the produce and the monks making the beer, cheese and bread etc from the produce.

So to say the ousted vikings from Dublin Castle (which incidentally is on the southside) were the first Northsiders sounds plausible enough to me. Banished to the northside so they were!!!

I haven't done extensive research on it, just a bit for a college assignment on a separate topic many moons ago now. I'm sure there are more learned historians out there that might be able to explain it a bit better than I have or even denounce me as a charlatan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Ah but it must be remembered that the vikings established Dublin as a port/city (large town) so they were the first "Dubliners" to be established (or Dyflinn-ers as they would have been at the time).

Most of the native Irish (not all but most) would have established themselves around monasteries at the time for trading purposes.

Take Lusk for example. If you look at that from a Google Earth perspective you can see how the village developed out in a radiated fashion from the Round Tower which would have housed monks at the time. For example, monks made beer, cheese and bread so they needed barley, milk and wheat. They were fortified so couldn't have swathes of land and an open compound. It is reasonable to theorise that people/native Irish would settle around the monastery for trading purposes. Probably bartering and exchanging goods. The natives growing the produce and the monks making the beer, cheese and bread etc from the produce.

So to say the ousted vikings from Dublin Castle (which incidentally is on the southside) were the first Northsiders sounds plausible enough to me. Banished to the northside so they were!!!

I haven't done extensive research on it, just a bit for a college assignment on a separate topic many moons ago now. I'm sure there are more learned historians out there that might be able to explain it a bit better than I have or even denounce me as a charlatan. :D

Perhaps we could start a separate thread on the First Fingallians? Your insights could make a very useful contribution as well as your understanding of the early Celtic Church Monastic Life in Lusk. Or perhaps a post or two in the History of Rush thread?

While not wishing to disparrage the excellent research, apprearing here

If you can name 3 fruit named beginning with D

You are from the Northside

1Dapples
    2Doranges
    3Donions

Simples

martinn123 wrote: »
    While not wishing to disparrage the excellent research, apprearing here

If you can name 3 fruit named beginning with D

You are from the Northside

1Dapples
    2Doranges
    3Donions

Simples

Ah disparage away! :D

...and if you can name the same three starting with an N you are a Fingallian.

An Napple
    An Norange (Nornge)
    An Noinion

Also if you pronounce Petrol as Pet-arl - You're a native Fingallian. ;)

• Advertisement

Yes, but you where de Ezoo is?

Or how huch would you pay for a package of crips.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Yes, but you where de Ezoo is?

Or how huch would you pay for a package of crips.

Ha! You beat me to the aul package of crips. Ah dats bleedin' rapih! :D

We need a Ross O'Carroll Kelly, for the Northside.
    Roddy Doyle carried the can for a few years with " The Commitments " and "The Van"

Anyone have a favourite Northside Author?
    Edit.
    Crap, I've gone off topic, .......Eh....An author, for the Northside of Dublin, as opposed to Dublin North County...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

D'Onion isnt a fruit! #JustSayin :)

Morpheus wrote: »

Yea, but DBanana just isn't proper English

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

After Santry aren't northsiders, North Dublin no doubt.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Morpheus wrote: »
    It was the only 'fruit' you got if you were on Santa's Naughty List.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Don't forget the Northside school subjects all starting with R:
    readin' ritin' and ritmetic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Fingallian..... No no no! A hair brained idea dreamt up by some councillors wanting to go into history books!

I'm not a northsider (albeit now living in louth) I'm from North County Dublin. That's how I play it anyway!

Fingallian..... No no no! A hair brained idea dreamt up by some councillors wanting to go into history books!

I'm not a northsider (albeit now living in louth) I'm from North County Dublin. That's how I play it anyway!

Culchie! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Emperor Fing

I've got some roots in Finglas, but that before the place was enveloped in cheap Housing. Finglas, St. Margaret's, Swords, Kinsaley, Baldoyle and further out were a network of villages always referred to as north county or Fingal.

AFAIK the name Fingal is very old and has nothing to do with any decisions of Councillors. The Viking link is true. My grandmother had strange ways of saying things, nothing like your scangers from North inner city. She would pronounce 'like' as 'leek' and sing really weird songs were the words were slightly off.

I'm all for anything north of the M50 being fingal. Anything south is Northsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JordanG990

Realistically, anything north of the Liffey would be Northside (north side of the Liffey). So Fingal would actually be northside as it is still in Dublin, even though it is County Dublin.

Personally, I feel once you're from anywhere after Santry, Ballymun and Finglas, you're not a northsider, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

im from clondalkin would i be considered a southsider?

masti123 wrote: »

You'd be better off asking in the Dublin County South forum tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

As a Northsider from a family of Northsiders (although now living out in the sticks of North county) I'd say you definitely are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emperor Fing

We dun teek kindly to your kind 'roond here. :P

Advertisement