Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else underwhelmed?

Options
  • 06-12-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

I'm probably gonna get slated for this, but having gotten my PS4 on launch day (with COD & NFS) I am a bit underwhelmed to be quite honest.

I'm sure the machine is technically great, my only gripe with the actual hardware being the left analogue stick on the DS4 is still in the wrong place!!
    (Form over function - stubborn Sony :rolleyes:)

I'm sure it's just down to the games. COD Ghosts imo is no where near as good and as involving as previous titles like MW2 , MW3, Black Ops 2 on previous Gen.

I am a huge NFS fan and IMO, Rivals is no where near as engrossing and as addictive as NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) was to play online.

Sure, if I had gotten an Xbox One with these same games I'd have the same gripes (minus the analogue stick on the controller being in the incorrect place :p )

So it's not really that I'm specifically disappointed with my PS4, but when I look back on the previous Gen - I used to play MW2, MW3 and Black Ops 2 on a daily basis nearly! And it I still Played NFS Hot Pursuit nearly 3 years after its release!!

Overall, I have played my PS4 only 3 or 4 times since I bought it and to be honest, only because I felt personally obliged/guilty that I should get my moneys worth having splashed over €500.

So overall, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed with this whole "next-gen" thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Give it a chance, its early days yet! People said the same about the PS3 from launch and look at the end product - miles apart!

I think it will be a full year before we see the power of the PS4 utilised by game dev's. Going to be epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Have you bought a console at launch before? It's rare enough they launch with something amazing (Mario 64 being one of the few).
    What were you expecting to be here day one per say?

It takes at least a year generally for any standout games to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no - get out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a launch console, of course it's underwhelming. The worst thing about launch consoles is that usually the previous consoles get all their best games after the launch of the next generation. Give the PS4 a year and it will pick up. It happens with every new console, they usually takea year to get going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

That's the exact reason I didn't buy it. What's the point? It will be cheaper and will have a lot more games when I buy it this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a launch console, of course it's underwhelming. The worst thing about launch consoles is that usually the previous consoles get all their best games after the launch of the next generation.

Exactly, look at the PS2 when the PS3 launched. One of the last Epic games for the PS2 was God Of War 2. Awww memories!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

sell it now before xmas for a profit and buy it again when there is a better deal and better games for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Try linking your vita into it and then see how you feel...

I don't like the interface but these things change. But overall I am more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Remote play is enough for it to be a worthy purchase. When the decent games comes it will be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I love it. As others have said launch consoles are never really going to have a load of AAA games out (or even any). I have KZ which looks brilliant albeit has other gameplay issues but i think its been totally slammed unfairly but thats another thread. NFS looks amazing also and plays well. Resogun its genius and there are a lot of other PSN games that look good. Contrast, thrine 2 etc.

As launches go i'm happy with my PS4...can you imagine what they'll be doing with it in 2 year time eeeek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

ION08 wrote: »
    I'm probably gonna get slated for this, but having gotten my PS4 on launch day (with COD & NFS) I am a bit underwhelmed to be quite honest.

I'm sure the machine is technically great, my only gripe with the actual hardware being the left analogue stick on the DS4 is still in the wrong place!!
    (Form over function - stubborn Sony :rolleyes:)

I'm sure it's just down to the games. COD Ghosts imo is no where near as good and as involving as previous titles like MW2 , MW3, Black Ops 2 on previous Gen.

I am a huge NFS fan and IMO, Rivals is no where near as engrossing and as addictive as NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) was to play online.

Sure, if I had gotten an Xbox One with these same games I'd have the same gripes (minus the analogue stick on the controller being in the incorrect place :p )

So it's not really that I'm specifically disappointed with my PS4, but when I look back on the previous Gen - I used to play MW2, MW3 and Black Ops 2 on a daily basis nearly! And it I still Played NFS Hot Pursuit nearly 3 years after its release!!

Overall, I have played my PS4 only 3 or 4 times since I bought it and to be honest, only because I felt personally obliged/guilty that I should get my moneys worth having splashed over €500.

So overall, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed with this whole "next-gen" thing.

You'v only played cod and nfs ? makes sense :p
    Maybe Rent KZSF and buy BF4 to get a proper taste of "next gen".

Anyway, wait until sunday and a bunch of new game footage will be all over the net of upcoming "next gen" games, after the 3 hour live vgx show on the net tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Like what others have said it will take about a year for the real "next gen" games to show off what the PS4 can do. I'm personally very happy with how stuff like the UI run buttery smooth. I do feel I haven't got that wow factor though like I got with the launch of 360/PS3, things like moving from SD to HD and online gaming going mainstream were big things back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nope. I love it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Nope, everything is as expected.....which is why i never went for one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nope, I'm loving it! Left analog is exactly where it should be. play some other games. I can't wait to play nba 2k13 and black flag. I even like scrolling through the menus listening to that lovely music.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

aFKEttJ.png

http://cloud.mmgn.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/assets/PS3Evolution/PS3-HD.jpg

Two possible reason for feeling underwhelmed but the graphics on launch games are usually a bit crap,i didnt think the ps3 was any great step from the ps2 at launch.
    and of course cod ghosts is crap the series has been getting worse and worse since cod4

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, one more thread of "lets bash next gen".

I said it a lot of times already and I can say it again - I am VERY IMPRESSED by the machine and what you get for 399eu and I am PC master race prick.

Launch line up is still the best launch line up of any console ever launched. I have enough stuff to play on it even now. Having so many great free to play games is bonus.

Underwhelmed? Not even slightest, I am only impressed.

aFKEttJ.png

http://cloud.mmgn.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/assets/PS3Evolution/PS3-HD.jpg

Two possible reason for feeling underwhelmed but the graphics on launch games are usually a bit crap,i didnt think the ps3 was any great step from the ps2 at launch.
    and of course cod ghosts is crap the series has been getting worse and worse since cod4

A lot of those pics are Bullshots. None of those games looked so good when you put that in to 720p on reasonable size TV. A lot of people forget that a lot of games were not even able to to run games on 720p.

For example Cod MW2, mw3 ran only at 600p (1040x600). PS3 versions even lower at 960x540. All of them had to be upscaled to 720p. so in a way Xbox one's upscaling from 720p to 1080p is a huge step already. PS4 runs it at native 1080p.

Sorry, but who ever does not see difference in leap from ps3/360 age cods to ps4 Ghost is Blind. 960x540 VS 1920x1080.
    I am mostly playing on PC and when I go to play games on PS3/360 I can notice in seconds how much lower resolution is and how worse stuff looks. I am spoiled with 1080p for years now. I can run my PC and consoles on same 42inch Telly and I can compare it directly.

Yes, someone will run in now and will start blabbing about how graphics dont matter and gameplay matters. Yes, game have to be fun, but Visuals are very important too. Specially when we are talking about how people dont feel big enough jump in performance. The Jump is MASSIVE, just people dont realise it yet. Let alone Developers will spend more time on game it self, then actually trying to optimise and find "cheating" ways to squizze more power out of ancient hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not at all. It's fantastic. And it will only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I can't wait to play nba 2k13 and black flag. I even like scrolling through the menus listening to that lovely music.

Unfortunately you'll be playing 2K13 on the PS3 :p 2K14 on the other hand is a great improvement on next gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

kensutz wrote: »
    Unfortunately you'll be playing 2K13 on the PS3 :p 2K14 on the other hand is a great improvement on next gen

Ah ball sack!

A lot of those pics are Bullshots. None of those games looked so good when you put that in to 720p on reasonable size TV. A lot of people forget that a lot of games were not even able to to run games on 720p.

For example Cod MW2, mw3 ran only at 600p (1040x600). PS3 versions even lower at 960x540. All of them had to be upscaled to 720p. so in a way Xbox one's upscaling from 720p to 1080p is a huge step already. PS4 runs it at native 1080p.

Sorry, but who ever does not see difference in leap from ps3/360 age cods to ps4 Ghost is Blind. 960x540 VS 1920x1080.
    I am mostly playing on PC and when I go to play games on PS3/360 I can notice in seconds how much lower resolution is and how worse stuff looks. I am spoiled with 1080p for years now. I can run my PC and consoles on same 42inch Telly and I can compare it directly.

Yes, someone will run in now and will start blabbing about how graphics dont matter and gameplay matters. Yes, game have to be fun, but Visuals are very important too. Specially when we are talking about how people dont feel big enough jump in performance. The Jump is MASSIVE, just people dont realise it yet. Let alone Developers will spend more time on game it self, then actually trying to optimise and find "cheating" ways to squizze more power out of ancient hardware.

There's an obvious improvement in graphics but it's nowhere near the level of previous generations. The jump from GT4 to the prologue for GT5 was incredible. The jump to PS1 was truly astounding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's an obvious improvement in graphics but it's nowhere near the level of previous generations. The jump from GT4 to the prologue for GT5 was incredible. The jump to PS1 was truly astounding.

Where else do graphics go though? We're at a point of incremental upgrades: even on PC when was the last game that well and truly stood out as a graphical revolution? Crysis maybe? We're almost a decade into the HD era (longer on PC) and at this point each jump is more fine tuning than the constant major shifts that dominated the first decade of 3D. I even think if and when 4K arrives, it just won't be able to have the same 'wow' effect as previous jumps did: it'll be pretty sure, but not the gamechanger SD to HD was. We're all getting older and more familiar with generational changes, and honestly each push forward is going to be less breathtaking than the big changes of previous generations.

Also, I think anyone expecting to have their socks immediately blown off them by a next-gen console is setting themselves up for a fall, especially if you're just looking at the same old franchises like CoD, FIFA or Need for Speed. Remember that these and others aren't really proper next-gen games, more just higher res previous gen games ported upwards. It's telling that the few games that do signal 'next gen is here' are exclusives (Battlefield perhaps an exception): Killzone might be a poor to mediocre game, but at least the tech seemingly indicates what we can expect over the next half decades when software is built from the ground up, hopefully in the hands of more talented developers. It will be some time before the real system sellers start arriving - it was the same with the PS3 and PS2, after all. It's fair to say few of the launch window games on either system are as fondly remembered as what came significantly later. It's also worth pointing out that the first batch of PS2 and PS3 games weren't an immediate leap forward anyway, especially in terms of graphics: many early PS2 games weren't a whole heap better than end-of-gen PS1 efforts. The PS3 only had the edge because of the HD factor - and high-definition is a one-of-a-kind advance that we're unlikely to see the likes of again. Outside that, my experiences with the PS4 are on par with the last couple of gens, although the console itself beyond the games is a massive improvement.

Patience is key. As much as I'm enjoying Resogun and a couple of other PS4 games, I know the games I really and truly want to play are months if not years away. They'll wait, as will the console. For now, I'm happy trialling a machine that is a big step up in terms of speeds, usability and technology. There's a few good games to keep me occupied, but the killer apps I know I'm going to have to wait for.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

No one was talking about the resolution of the screenshots, im just showing that at the start of a console life the graphic quality dont really represent what the machine can do if u look at that image and compare resistance fall of man 1 to number 3 they look completely diffrent
    Same is with gta 4 and gta 5 on ps3
    and gta 3 and gta san andreas on the ps2
    and the same can be said about games on any console
    i dont consider it cheating to get the power out of the hardware i think its more that they just learn new trick and after coding on the same hardware for a fw years ur gonna be able to optimise a lot better.
    and lets not bring gaming pcs into this because its comparing apples and oranges a 400 euro ps4 that will let me play up to date games for 6+years compared to a 1000+ pc that will be obsolete in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

There's going to be serious performance and graphical improvements as time goes on. At the moment I feel the major difference is the amount of detail and things happening on the same screen. Also consider that a lot of the launch titles were developed for current generation consoles too.
    Look at the difference between Oblivion and Skyrim for the jump that can be made on the same generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The graphics look better and the controller is better but I think there is little or no change in gameplay and I don't think that's anything to do with hardware. Playing AC4 on the PS4 is very similar to the PS3 as controlling your character is still quite annoying at times. Maybe its a console problem but I wish they would fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Gameplay will have nothing to do with the hardware.

No one was talking about the resolution of the screenshots, im just showing that at the start of a console life the graphic quality dont really represent what the machine can do if u look at that image and compare resistance fall of man 1 to number 3 they look completely diffrent
    Same is with gta 4 and gta 5 on ps3
    and gta 3 and gta san andreas on the ps2
    and the same can be said about games on any console
    i dont consider it cheating to get the power out of the hardware i think its more that they just learn new trick and after coding on the same hardware for a fw years ur gonna be able to optimise a lot better.
    and lets not bring gaming pcs into this because its comparing apples and oranges a 400 euro ps4 that will let me play up to date games for 6+years compared to a 1000+ pc that will be obsolete in 5 years
    Exactly let's not bring pc's here, because I can already see you have **** all knowledge About them.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I just saw the words underwhelmed and COD, and stopped reading there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

That's the exact reason I didn't buy it. What's the point? It will be cheaper and will have a lot more games when I buy it this time next year.

Euphoric.

It won't be cheaper anyway, but the games will improve. Hold tight op, I feel the same. Anyone who say's "ha no-one should ever buy a launch console / what's the point" are the same people prowling ps4 forums for every bit of news on the ps4 sick that they never pre-ordered it.

Advertisement