Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2014

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Kilkee entry a lottery next year according to the fb page :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

odd one. Hardly broken (or is it) so why change it.

Id imagine the demand will be high but you should still be heavy odds on to get a spot. Always a good chance of a transfer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

Oooh not too happy about this, would have preferred the first come first served method :(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

A lottery for the National Championships??? To be fair the last couple of years have pretty much been that in all but name but surely if they were going to change the system there should be some sort of provision for setting aside a limited number of qualifying spots? This seems like a poor decision to me, but interested to hear what others think......Peter Kearn?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

bopperr wrote: »
    odd one. Hardly broken (or is it) so why change it.

Id imagine the demand will be high but you should still be heavy odds on to get a spot. Always a good chance of a transfer as well.

I'd imagine if they are doing a lottery system then transfer won't be allowed, any unused entries would go back into a lottery system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I know plenty of so called lotteries - that are lotteries in all but name ;)

I would be very surprised if someone like Kevin Thornton or Gavin Noble lose out in this lottery.

Lets hope its a way of ensuring that most of the regular entrants that compete every year (me :D) don't miss out to the first time entrant

catweazle wrote: »

I would be very surprised if someone like Kevin Thornton or Gavin Noble lose out in this lottery.

So in what way would they get a place? How many entries would be set aside for people like this and what would be the criteria for getting a guaranteed place? If everyone else has to go through a lottery what makes them entitled to an entry?

For someone planning their year around National Champs with hopes of getting on the podium it seems ridiculous that they might get ruled out of competing on the basis of pure luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

limerick tri ,like the ballycotton 10 miler have always done the right thing for competetive athletes (may i haste to say for every athlete) as long as i can remember and for this reason kilkee in my mind the very best race to have the nat champs.

Generally I would suggest that for nat champs that you are guaranteed a place if you had 560 (male) and (500) female NS points the previous year nat series or podium place in a nat series race in the previous 15 month or a top 30 place in a nat champ race in the last 2 years .

A lottery for the National Championships??? To be fair the last couple of years have pretty much been that in all but name but surely if they were going to change the system there should be some sort of provision for setting aside a limited number of qualifying spots? This seems like a poor decision to me, but interested to hear what others think......Peter Kearn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

So in what way would they get a place? How many entries would be set aside for people like this and what would be the criteria for getting a guaranteed place? If everyone else has to go through a lottery what makes them entitled to an entry?

For someone planning their year around National Champs with hopes of getting on the podium it seems ridiculous that they might get ruled out of competing on the basis of pure luck.

Have they outlined the method in which this lottery will take place, all I see is pre-register and then a lottery the following month to grant these places. Perhaps I am being unfair to them but unless I see someone from the National lottery office standing beside them I doubt and actually hope that they do look at each individual registration and use some type of criteria to award them a place or not. Perhaps certain entrants will not even make the pot in the first place

Its a lottery as it is currently is anyways with the fastest finger on the day getting in, its easy to buck the current system anyways by going through the active log in rather than the Limerick website and block booking entrants before they even go online anyways

I will eat my hat Little Miss if someone like yourself or any other podium contender fails to get in, its more mid packers like myself thats in danger here so I would hope they would run a search through their previous years and see i am a regular entrant rather than a Johnny come lately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They should have qualifying entry for people like to podium (top 10) with everyone else going into the lottery if they're doing a lottery.
    Would be a bit bizarre if the top x ladies all failed to get in and an average athlete becomes national champ, with the smaller number of women entering than this could very easily happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this is a b&lls to be be honest. Won't complain too much as it would have been my first time doing HOTW, and a lot here have done a few and deserve their spot more.

but it was to be my target race for the year, and a quick glance at the TI calendar doesn't suggest any suitable alternatives anywhere close to the HOTW weekend. Not getting in could force a rethink of the whole season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So basically it is NOT the national championships.

The best in an AG and the best overall may well not be in the race.

Ah well thats the NC and the NS completely meaningless then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »

The best in an AG and the best overall may well not be in the race.

the lottery system could be run in a way that ensures the top guys are. not really a lottery then, but you could argue this is a way to ensure the top racers are at the NC. i've no idea if that's what their intention is though

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TriWazza

Hate to agree with tunney but he's right. Terrible terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Decided to prioritise NC races this year as I feel that this is where it is at, high quality fields and taken seriously and due respect given to the best in the land. Kilkee was to be one of my A races. This totally goes against what a National Championship race stands for and IF you do get in then there should be an * beside the 2014 National Olympic distance winner.

What a shame.

My TI card arrived yesterday. Included in it were some excellent and professional leaflets.

Thought "wow, maybe I've been too harsh"

And then this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Does anyone know that when TI awarded the Nat Champs to this race they knew it was going to be a lottery to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I would consider myself one of Kilkee's (and the Limerick Tri Clubs) biggest cheerleaders but this is madness (if they go ahead with it). I am not sure what the thinking is behind a move like this.

How can this be a legal entry requirement for a National Championship race? Who would want to win this type of race?

Is this something Triathlon Ireland are OK with? a comment from one of their representatives would be appreciated - just to clarify the matter.

Its not that hard at all to enter - if you are determined to enter you will always get in. The people that are determined to enter a race are typically the ones that take triathlon a little bit more serious = exactly what you want for a National Championships = I don't see a problem, so why create one?!! Either move to some sort of standards based selection criteria for the NC or keep as is (first come first served).

Being selfish, this race acted as our club away race each year and now that < 50% of our club that apply will get in, the desire to stay over in Kilkee will be greatly diminished for us.

I really hate the way this sport is going sometimes.

This is our club champ race as well Shane so this would be a huge disappointment as our party race for us.

Be interesting to see how many enter this are on one day licenses and if you could just say full TI members only for entry rather than a lottery. Assuming ODL entries take up a good % of slots?

I nominated DCT as the unofficial-but-proper National Champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 TriWazza

Again hate to agree with tunney :D

Huff and Puff summed up what many are feeling up and down the country. It devalues the national championships. I thought Athlone were bad last year not putting the main competitors in the same wave but this is nonsense stuff.

Surely as members we could force an EGM and force the organizers to normalize the entry process or worst case scenario strip Kilkee of the National Championships?

Article 15 of the constitution
    15. The Directors may, whenever they think fit, convene an Extraordinary
    General Meeting, and Extraordinary General Meetings shall also be convened by
    such requisitions as provided by section 132 of the Act. If at any time there are
    not within Ireland sufficient Directors capable of acting to form a quorum, any
    Director may convene an Extraordinary General Meeting in the same manner as
    nearly as possible as that in which meetings may be convened by the Directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

TriWazza wrote: »
    Surely as members we could force an EGM and force the organizers to normalize the entry process or worst case scenario strip Kilkee of the National Championships?

To be honest, I don't care enough to even consider an EGM. If Triathlon Ireland are ok with it then let them off. They are a good club and I am sure the race will be great. I just don't agree with the point of entry, simple as that.

Not sure why it has to go to a full lottery - could it not be first come first served for half and a lottery for the other half. Non-existent problem solved!

Kilkee entry a lottery next year according to the fb page :(

frape?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In terms of the politics of TI I'm an uninformed newby. But you can't, CAN'T have lottery entry for a championship race in any sport. It makes a nonsense of what is meant by 'championship'.

Has this been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Oryx wrote: »
    In terms of the politics of TI I'm an uninformed newby. But you can't, CAN'T have lottery entry for a championship race in any sport. It makes a nonsense of what is meant by 'championship'.

Has this been confirmed?

According to tweets from TI-they are looking into "the new entry method adopted...tonight"

From Facebook it seems that the challengers will get auto entry if they want it and the rest of us minions will be in a lottery.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From Facebook it seems that the challengers will get auto entry if they want it and the rest of us minions will be in a lottery.

How do they decide who the challengers are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I think that is terribly unfair- should be same rule for all. Either lottery for everyone, or no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leidenlass

Hey guys, Kilkee race secretary here. We are implementing the lottery system in the hopes of improving the entry process for all genuine athletes. A number of issues have cropped up over the past few years that we want to address, specifically block booking of entries, people selling on their entries for above face-value and people entering for the goodie bag and not racing, thus taking up spots from people who want to race. We also hope the lottery system will neutralize any issues related to a time-specific entry, such as individual internet speeds, work or personal commitments that conflict with entry times, payment issues, etc. There will also be a waitlist, as there always has been, to facilitate transfer of entries between individuals. In past years we have been able to accommodate everyone who wants to race , and we have no reason to think that will change - the past two years we have actually had more people in the end looking to sell places than we had on the waitlist. We know many clubs use HOTW as their club race, and this shouldn't change anything with regard to that. It is our hope that this system will improve the registration process for everyone - we welcome any constructive comments/questions to help that along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

All legitimate points that you want to address but maybe some prior explanation would have useful seeing as though this is one of the top races in the country we are talking about.

Still seems a little odd that it will supposedly a true lottery which could mean the top athletes have a chance of missing out or at least not being sure of their entry for a bit while.

Advertisement