Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

All legitimate points that you want to address but maybe some prior explanation would have useful seeing as though this is one of the top races in the country we are talking about.

Still seems a little odd that it will supposedly a true lottery which could mean the top athletes have a chance of missing out or at least not being sure of their entry for a bit while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

leidenlass wrote: »
    Hey guys, Kilkee race secretary here. We are implementing the lottery system in the hopes of improving the entry process for all genuine athletes. A number of issues have cropped up over the past few years that we want to address, specifically block booking of entries, people selling on their entries for above face-value and people entering for the goodie bag and not racing, thus taking up spots from people who want to race. We also hope the lottery system will neutralize any issues related to a time-specific entry, such as individual internet speeds, work or personal commitments that conflict with entry times, payment issues, etc. There will also be a waitlist, as there always has been, to facilitate transfer of entries between individuals. In past years we have been able to accommodate everyone who wants to race , and we have no reason to think that will change - the past two years we have actually had more people in the end looking to sell places than we had on the waitlist. We know many clubs use HOTW as their club race, and this shouldn't change anything with regard to that. It is our hope that this system will improve the registration process for everyone - we welcome any constructive comments/questions to help that along.

Hi there.

Can you say what provisions have HOTW put in place to ensure that all contenders in Over all and in all AG will get an entry to race. Thanks

Hey guys, Kilkee race secretary here. We are implementing the lottery system in the hopes of improving the entry process for all genuine athletes. A number of issues have cropped up over the past few years that we want to address, specifically block booking of entries, people selling on their entries for above face-value and people entering for the goodie bag and not racing, thus taking up spots from people who want to race. We also hope the lottery system will neutralize any issues related to a time-specific entry, such as individual internet speeds, work or personal commitments that conflict with entry times, payment issues, etc. There will also be a waitlist, as there always has been, to facilitate transfer of entries between individuals. In past years we have been able to accommodate everyone who wants to race , and we have no reason to think that will change - the past two years we have actually had more people in the end looking to sell places than we had on the waitlist. We know many clubs use HOTW as their club race, and this shouldn't change anything with regard to that. It is our hope that this system will improve the registration process for everyone - we welcome any constructive comments/questions to help that along.

Hi there.

Can you say what provisions have HOTW put in place to ensure that all contenders in Over all and in all AG will get an entry to race. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Assuming you are handing back the national champs status?

Constructive criticism is not always possible. Sometimes ask that can be said is "it's a terrible idea, don't do it" is all that can be said.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Hi there.

There can't be any. How do you identify a contender?

And it's not up Limerick TC to determine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

The fairness of the lottery system will be directly proportional to the number of LTC members who get a spot on the start line

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I gave away my jacket this year and the rest of the goody bag is still in the bag at the bottom of a box somwhere. Great goody bag but nothing in it I really needed.

Maybe drop the goody bag, a great race doesn't need to entice people with a goody bag...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pre registration might be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

That's all good and well (for other years) however Limerick TC have an extra responsibility this year, indeed a privilege, namely the hosting of the National Championship. This decision in my opinion shows a lack of respect for and understanding in the very idea of a National Championships.

tunney wrote: »

I know there can't.
    I also think that the NC should be open to everyone who wants to race, regardless of if the have done the race (venue) before.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »

I know there can't.
    I also think that the NC should be open to everyone who wants to race, regardless of if the have done the race (venue) before.

Hey guys, Kilkee race secretary here. We are implementen lottery system in the hopes of improving the entry process for all genuine athletes. A number of issues have cropped up over the past few years that we want to address, specifically block booking of entries, people selling on their entries for above face-value and people entering for the goodie bag and not racing, thus taking up spots from people who want to race. We also hope the lottery system will neutralize any issues related to a time-specific entry, such as individual internet speeds, work or personal commitments that conflict with entry times, payment issues, etc. There will also be a waitlist, as there always has been, to facilitate transfer of entries between individuals. In past years we have been able to accommodate everyone who wants to race , and we have no reason to think that will change - the past two years we have actually had more people in the end looking to sell places than we had on the waitlist. We know many clubs use HOTW as their club race, and this shouldn't change anything with regard to that. It is our hope that this system will improve the registration process for everyone - we welcome any constructive comments/questions to help that along.

My last reply was a bit tongue in cheek just tease out an answer.

If Limerick tri club or anyother club for than matter want to hold a race, they are entilted to do so and come up with what ever entry system they seem fit. And that's fair enough.
    However National Champ races are and should be open to everyone.
    If there is a problem and there seems to be going on your post. Then it incumbent on the club to sort it out before looking for NC races.
    Serious questions have and need to be asked regarding the staging of the NC and to a lesser degree the NS. If it's a question of catering for numbers, again questions need to be asked and answered. I accept not every everyone will not look to do HOTW as a NS as there are other races to enter if you are doing the NS. However there is only on Olympic NC race.
    You have pointed out that, in most case everyone who wants to race normally gets to race, which is fine to a point. Athletes will look to schedule there races about a number if things. Some around family, holidays etc. But for NC races, athletes will they to peak for the and will put a lit of time and effort in trying to get it right. I dont think that they should wait to see if they come out of a lottery system to try and compete for NC at any AG or senior level
    DO YOU.
    This in no way takes away from previous HOTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I would have presumed that all races sanctioned by TI would have to go through their entry portal:

http://www.triathlonireland.com/organiser-info.html

It doesn't seem fair that a top caliber of athelete will be assured of entry (what are the criteria for this selection?) while everybody else is done on a lottery draw.

Would it not be simpler in the context of the NC to eliminate all ODL and relay racers first, increasing the capacity of the event for those who really, really want or have to race Kilkee?
    A ODL or relay slot does not indicate a long term commitment to triathlon so why not run a second race to accomodate people who want Kilkee on their triathlon CV?
    Why don't we start looking at events in the same vein of ITU racing where the elites race separately to the age groupers? Surely this would make it safer and more enjoyale for the vast majority of participants.

Sorry double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leidenlass

Perhaps "entry allocation" would have been a better term to use than "lottery," since we don't anticipate that people will be excluded and in fact, hope that the opposite is true and this method results in a more truthful registration process. It really is more of a pre-registration. As previously mentioned, we have historically not had trouble finding a spot for any individual interested in racing. We will also be prioritizing individual entries this year by holding back the release of relay entries until we see how the individual entry take-up is going. The registration process will also be completed earlier in the year so everyone should still be well able to plan their race calendar (dates not finalized yet but it's looking like February, as opposed to March last year).

It's great to see the level of interest people are taking in this. We do appreciate all the feedback, and all comments will be passed along to the organizing committee for discussion and consideration moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

AKW wrote: »
    I would have presumed that all races sanctioned by TI would have to go through their entry portal:

http://www.triathlonireland.com/organiser-info.html

Nah they tried that a year or two ago but the TI server wasn't able to handle it - bit of a mess and they had to swich back to Active again a week or two later and redo it!

Am i the only one that doesn't see this new entry system as an issue - a NS series contender wasn't technically guaranteed an entry in the old system either. The system was a farce with fastest fingers first and block booking of 10+ entries by individuals, how was that a fair system

(look kindly on my entry leidenlass)

catweazle wrote: »

Am i the only one that doesn't see this new entry system as an issue - a NS series contender wasn't technically guaranteed an entry in the old system either. The system was a farce with fastest fingers first and block booking of 10+ entries by individuals, how was that a fair system

(look kindly on my entry leidenlass)

And why should they be granted a entry ?
    There was an open and transparant system for the to enter through, if they missed it then hard luck,

A lottery system is different as it will be down to someone or a number of people to decide who races, Lottery conjures up an "pulled out of the hat" image

It is now updated to "entry allocation" so if the like the cut of your jib CW, they will allocate you an entry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

catweazle wrote: »
    block booking of 10+ entries by individuals

The Active Europe entry system can definitely be configured to prevent that.

Not quite sure what to make of all this. I think a (genuinely random, computerized) lottery would be fair if it was not the National Championchips. With it being NC, no.

The mention of guaranteeing "contenders" entry is also intriguing, as it's the AG NC also. So is for example anyone who has placed top 5 in their AG in a NS race guaranteed entry?

Nothing has actually happened yet though, plenty of time for further consideration..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gickna1

Maybe give those who have entered the race in previous years first preference on a spot. Although I missed last year through sickness, but I don't think many would travel so far for a goody bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

So it sounds like in practical terms there won't really be much difference to previous years. I think the mistake was probably in using the term "lottery" then as opposed to pre-registration. I'm sure someone technically minded could come up with a way of preventing block booking without having to change the whole system though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just curious if people got a confirmation email when they preregistered for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Just curious if people got a confirmation email when they preregistered for this?

It probably went to me Gibbo seeing as i am your race entry secretary

Nope. I got an on screen message saying that I am on the "waiting list" and did not receive a mail nor have I heard since from Limerick Tri Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nope. I got an on screen message saying that I am on the "waiting list" and did not receive a mail nor have I heard since from Limerick Tri Club.

Cool, that's what I got too. When I tried a second time it said I was already on the list :D Surprising that no emails were sent. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Surprising that no emails were sent. :confused:

Maybe they need CW on the case with the hosting / management :D

Cool, that's what I got too. When I tried a second time it said I was already on the list :D Surprising that no emails were sent. :confused:

I contacted the Secretary about this, she came back and said this is as expected. If you are concerned try to register and if you are in it should fail with the same email address.

Got this today:

"PRE-REGISTRATION
    Pre-registration has now been open a week and we thought we would send you a quick update!

If you are receiving this email your pre-entry into the 2014 Kilkee Hell of the West Triathlon has been recevied by SportsTiming.

Just a reminder to those people who enter more than once, the system removes your duplicate emails automaticly. If you had been entering for someone else let them know to pre-register before 31st of January.

What happens next?

Successful pre-registrants will receive notification with a unique code that will be linked to the name/email address provided during pre-registration, please note this code can only be used once.

The code may be used to register at any time between 7 February and 21 February. This year’s registration fee is €65, inclusive of all administrative charges. Based on entry numbers from the past few years, we currently anticipate that everyone who pre-registers in January will obtain a place.

If you normally register members as a group, you must still pre-register individually, but payment may be organized through the club directly with the event secretary."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Did everyone get any confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Tom__JNR wrote: »
    Did everyone get any confirmation?

Not till February.

An email did go out confirming general application had been made.
    I received this last week.

Next step is to wait for an email with unique entry code if successful in the new entry system and log on using this code then - as I said Feb some time before these are due out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Fazz wrote: »
    Not till February.

An email did go out confirming general application had been made.
    I received this last week.

Next step is to wait for an email with unique entry code if successful in the new entry system and log on using this code then - as I said Feb some time before these are due out.

Thanks Fazz, just checked the list and I am on it.

Advertisement