Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Are you supposed to cover your nipples with this tattoos ...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

peter kern wrote: »
    Are you supposed to cover your nipples with this tattoos ...

No peter that's what the stickers are for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

MOD SNIP

There's the results this guy always lightning quick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

promethius wrote: »
    MOD SNIP

There's the results this guy always lightning quick with them

And fantastic for altering them to fit an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

tunney wrote: »
    And fantastic for altering them to fit an agenda.
    Can you explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

On crutches, so unlikely to make much of an impression :rolleyes:. Eimear Fitzmaurice will def be one to watch in the future - saw her in one of the trim castle duathlons and she was very impressive. What about Joyce Wolfe? I think Katie Cooke, Rachel Glendon, Joyce Wolfe for the podium. Don't know what order.

Ah well, two outta three ain't bad :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Results

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tegerman

Congrats to Carolyn Hayes, over half an hour off her time last year.

Thats some serious progress.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

10-15 min improvement for me. My run was horrendous and slower though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Great race as always, fantastic day and course epic as ever.

Limerick Tri Club did a lot right and this race is certainly worth of national champs.

Draft Marshals way too lenient was the only negative imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mossym wrote: »
    according to his twitter feed thornton's achilles is shot. may or may not be the truth but if it is would hurt his chances. between him and aaron if it's not i reckon

ladies, the go tri crew will be out to make a big hit on a local race, anna crooks and carolyn hayes to be there or there abouts

i've got the lotto numbers too if anyone is interested :)

great race but agree with Fazz's comments above. unfair to those who try to race legally to see those who intentionally and blatantly break the rules and get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Cracking race, Cracking weather, Cracking weekend...

Was talking to one of the TI guys afterwards. Next year they going to age group wave starts...like Athy and Athlone.....because of the numbers and the narrow country roads....Makes sense imo.

Cracking race, Cracking weather, Cracking weekend...

Was talking to one of the TI guys afterwards. Next year they going to age group wave starts...like Athy and Athlone.....because of the numbers and the narrow country roads....Makes sense imo.

Really? And how does that work in Athy and Athlone?

The real problem is at this stage everyone knows the rules are not enforced, that the clubs don't want their race to be the one that the mass DQs happen at and the the marshals and TI do not have the testicular fortitude to act.

The real problem is at this stage everyone knows the rules are not enforced, that the clubs don't want their race to be the one that the mass DQs happen at and the the marshals and TI do not have the testicular fortitude to act.

It works because you dont have the fastest athletes going in the first wave. Abilities are spread out over all the waves therefore you do not see the level of drafting at these races that you would see in others. It is because the rules that are not enforced at the other races that these races work better in that aspect.
    I saw mbikes breaking up packs on Saturday.. penalties should have been handed out straight away.. but i also saw situations were you had 20 to 30 bikes strung out over 300 to 400 m...how do you police that? too many bikes on a narrow course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I partly agree. The clubs don't (and shouldn't have) any say in what penalties are enforced. From my own involvement (having been on both sides of the fence), penalties go from the TOs to the penalty board without interference from RDs. In any event, until mass disqualifications occur, things will not change.

As an aside, I witnessed the most blatant episode of cheating so far in Kilkee where I was overtaken by a bike that had another sucking his wheel. I sat behind them for about 5 minutes and each time we would meet a motorbike official (and there were lots to be fair), the wheel sucker would pull out as if he was about to overtake. As soon as the bike was gone he tucked back in and continued drafting. After 3 such incidents (he knew the rules and knew exactly what he was doing), I pulled up alongside and f'd him out of it. He was done about 2 mins later by a motorbike official which photographed him and carded him. I have his name and number but have not seen any way to check if he was penalised or not - the penalties don't seem to be on the results. Is there any way to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

i think it works quite well in Athy, not as many packs thats for sure, better spread of abilities makes it less likely for packs to form. a person who is determined and sets out to cheat will probably find a way in most races though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

EC1000 wrote: »
    As an aside, I witnessed the most blatant episode of cheating so far in Kilkee where I was overtaken by a bike that had another sucking his wheel. I sat behind them for about 5 minutes and each time we would meet a motorbike official (and there were lots to be fair), the wheel sucker would pull out as if he was about to overtake. As soon as the bike was gone he tucked back in and continued drafting. After 3 such incidents (he knew the rules and knew exactly what he was doing), I pulled up alongside and f'd him out of it. He was done about 2 mins later by a motorbike official which photographed him and carded him. I have his name and number but have not seen any way to check if he was penalised or not - the penalties don't seem to be on the results. Is there any way to check?

I was sitting off the back of one group on the way out on Saturday, group of about 8 to 10 in a peleton. Had been travelling faster than them, came up on them, but with no way to pass. Held back 10m looking for an opportunity, was behind them a few minutes. Motorbike official comes up beside me, with a passenger on the back. Passenger nods at me as if to say you’re okay, as they catch the group in front the passenger pulls up a camera and quite obviously starts photographing the numbers, as they passed the riders they said something to the riders and they started to break up. Pretty sure they photographed most of the numbers, but not a single card.

As soon as it broke up their speed dropped off completely, and I started sailing past them. Told a few of them as I went past I was delighted they were done for drafting. Unanimous reply was to tell me to “f^&k off ya c&^t”

Expected that, but why would these guys ever stop if nothing is done? Even if they get retrospective penalties now they have their original time, they’ll say nothing and ignore the penalties.

Did anyone see the 40 second news report on the TI site? I only saw a quick glimpse, but even that seemed to show lots of cyclists in a very short space, if their video promotions are showing it then why wouldn’t people think it’s acceptable?

Think the shot that I saw online was of the first hill just outside town. With literally hundreds joining the route in the space of a couple of mins, I think it it inevitable that the first hill was bunched up. No excuse for such large groups after that climb though...

It works because you dont have the fastest athletes going in the first wave. Abilities are spread out over all the waves therefore you do not see the level of drafting at these races that you would see in others. It is because the rules that are not enforced at the other races that these races work better in that aspect.
    I saw mbikes breaking up packs on Saturday.. penalties should have been handed out straight away.. but i also saw situations were you had 20 to 30 bikes strung out over 300 to 400 m...how do you police that? too many bikes on a narrow course.

Empirical evidence suggests that it does not work in Athy and Athlone was my point.

Kilkee 2004, my first kilkee, had 240 people in the race. Wave one on Saturday had another 120.........

greed-is-good.png

EC1000 wrote: »
    I partly agree. The clubs don't (and shouldn't have) any say in what penalties are enforced. From my own involvement (having been on both sides of the fence), penalties go from the TOs to the penalty board without interference from RDs.

Thats naive, I have heard of TOs that have had their influence by bullying by RDs.

• Advertisement

Thats naive, I have heard of TOs that have had their influence by bullying by RDs.

Name and shame. The naivety there is from the RD who thinks that they are providing a better event by ignoring cheating...... that's akin to a football manager convincing a referee not to send off his player for the good of the game..... if TOs are bending to RD demands then a better quality of TO is needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

They better not. Age group wave start races are awful. You have listed two races that I would never do. No need to drag down Ireland's best race too. Plenty of drafting goes on at those other two races anyway.

Lining up at the swim start with the rest of Ireland's best is what its all about. 30 years of this race being brilliant, about to be spoiled by some eejits down the back of the field drafting for 100th place. Highly annoying.

Let the best 50 men and women off together in Kilkee to battle it out each year for the National Championships and the rest of ye can do whatever the hell ye want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

On a more positive note - well done to the Limerick Club for organising another great event. All this talk of drafting is taking away from what was a great experience once again.

My predictions here in the men's race were spectacularly wrong! Delighted for Aaron though. Carolyn came up trumps for me in the women's race. Think she will be heading for ITU if she stays focused.

As for my own race....shocking. Any day that Peter Kern hammers you is a bad day!! Only joking of course - good race out of you Peter. Well done everyone else too.

Don't get overly carried away with the fast times though. That was as easy a Kilkee as I can remember.

They better not. Age group wave start races are awful. You have listed two races that I would never do. No need to drag down Ireland's best race too. Plenty of drafting goes on at those other two races anyway.

Lining up at the swim start with the rest of Ireland's best is what its all about. 30 years of this race being brilliant, about to be spoiled by some eejits down the back of the field drafting for 100th place. Highly annoying.

Let the best 50 men and women off together in Kilkee to battle it out each year for the National Championships and the rest of ye can do whatever the hell ye want!!

That was the 2nd point he made. Top males females in wave 1..then the rest via age group. I too am for the whole top end race up front. Its great that you can track the race on the run while completing yourself.

That was the 2nd point he made. Top males females in wave 1..then the rest via age group. I too am for the whole top end race up front. Its great that you can track the race on the run while completing yourself.

Eventually the number of people in a race will have to be brought down to a realistic number, or made draft legal.

Also NC should have a qualification element.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

It was a great event no doubt but yet today's national newspapers seem to have ignored it almost completely.

The only mention of it in the three papers I've seen this morning is a very brief paragraph in a section on lifestyle and festivals. Something majorly wrong here when an event with 1000 participants is not worthy of mention...

kchsligo wrote: »
    It was a great event no doubt but yet today's national newspapers seem to have ignored it almost completely.

The only mention of it in the three papers I've seen this morning is a very brief paragraph in a section on lifestyle and festivals. Something majorly wrong here when an event with 1000 participants is not worthy of mention...

participant
    noun
    a person who takes part in something.

competitor
    noun
    a person who takes part in a sporting contest.

On a more positive note - well done to the Limerick Club for organising another great event. All this talk of drafting is taking away from what was a great experience once again.

My predictions here in the men's race were spectacularly wrong! Delighted for Aaron though. Carolyn came up trumps for me in the women's race. Think she will be heading for ITU if she stays focused.

As for my own race....shocking. Any day that Peter Kern hammers you is a bad day!! Only joking of course - good race out of you Peter. Well done everyone else too.

Don't get overly carried away with the fast times though. That was as easy a Kilkee as I can remember.

The depth of the field was savage imo. For the 100th athlete to come in at 2.20 shows you how strong it was.

The depth of the field was savage imo. For the 100th athlete to come in at 2.20 shows you how strong it was.

Swim was short by about 100m
    Bike was 3-4 mins faster with the north easterly wind

Still 100 people under 2.25 for Kilkee.....looking at previos years means stacked field imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

participant
    noun
    a person who takes part in something.

competitor
    noun
    a person who takes part in a sporting contest.

Well done on looking up words but I'm sure you'd have some comment to make if I had used the word competitor!!!

Advertisement