Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Category "A" Learner Permit...

• 06-12-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I went for the category A Learner Permit since I'm over 24.

Can I go for the A2 IBT modules initially and, if I successfully complete them, go on the road with a bike that is allowed under the A2 permit (i.e. 250cc)?

Or do I have to do modules 1,3 & 5 and go for a 600cc bike straight away?

The reason I ask is that I'm a short, light female and I think it would take me longer to feel confident on bigger bikes. I'd rather get going on 250cc first and work my way up to 600cc (and do module 5 then).

I didn't feel it would be a problem when I was applying for my permit and that is why I didn't choose the A2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you much/ any experience of riding bikes?

Don't underestimate the ability of trainers to work with you and help you feel comfortable. I would say don't get hung up on ccs- there are lots of heavy small cc bikes and there are lots of light bigger cc bikes. You have lots of aids to consider such as suspension lowering kits and custom/ aftermarket sears/ aftermarket foot pegs and bars etc

What kind(s) of bikes do you want to go on to ride? Some styles are more conducive to learning so I would encourage you to chill as there are lots of options open to you at this early stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, with A provisional you must complete IBT for A. Once you have all that done, you can get on any bike you want. The only time the size of the bike will matter is for your test as there is a minimum requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    OP, with A provisional you must complete IBT for A. Once you have all that done, you can get on any bike you want. The only time the size of the bike will matter is for your test as there is a minimum requirement.

Thanks for the reply!

My issue is that I think I have to do module 5 on a huge bike that I don't feel ready for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

You'll be grand its a very controlled environment.

You'll be grand its a very controlled environment.

Thanks, maybe I'm over thinking it.

It just seems very expensive to go and see if I can do it. I'll just have to research the places and check if any have relatively low seated 600cc plus bikes that aren't too heavy.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have you much/ any experience of riding bikes?

Don't underestimate the ability of trainers to work with you and help you feel comfortable. I would say don't get hung up on ccs- there are lots of heavy small cc bikes and there are lots of light bigger cc bikes. You have lots of aids to consider such as suspension lowering kits and custom/ aftermarket sears/ aftermarket foot pegs and bars etc

What kind(s) of bikes do you want to go on to ride? Some styles are more conducive to learning so I would encourage you to chill as there are lots of options open to you at this early stage.

I'm not too worried about eventually being able to ride something like a Hornet 600cc.

I don't have experience riding bikes (other than a taster course I did on a 125cc this week - which was very fun and good for my confidence). So when I go to the IBT, I'm quite worried that I'll be put on a 600cc bike that isn't right for me.

I suppose try and think of it like if you went on an IBT course and had to do it on a 1200cc BMW Adventure bike without much experience - the weight and height of the bike would be daunting.

Anyway, the answers I'm getting seem like I either need to chance it and hope I get through the A category IBT so that I can get started on a bike or swap my permit for the A2 and do the lighter IBT modules.

I've a ninja 250, by the way, which I'd like to ride for the next couple of years and then move up if doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I suppose try and think of it like if you went on an IBT course and had to do it on a 1200cc BMW Adventure bike without much experience - the weight and height of the bike would be daunting.

I understand. You don't have to be passive about it. Ask your chosen school which bikes they would offer you after explaining your concerns. Sneakily ring another possible school and see what bikes they'd give you. They will have bikes that will suit your needs.
    I'm not too worried about eventually being able to ride something like a Hornet 600cc.

I don't have experience riding bikes (other than a taster course I did on a 125cc this week - which was very fun and good for my confidence). So when I go to the IBT, I'm quite worried that I'll be put on a 600cc bike that isn't right for me.

Anyway, the answers I'm getting seem like I either need to chance it and hope I get through the A category IBT so that I can get started on a bike or swap my permit for the A2 and do the lighter IBT modules.

I've a ninja 250, by the way, which I'd like to ride for the next couple of years and then move up if doable.

Have a look here and enter the Ninja 250 and the Hornet 600. Remarkably similar riding positions despite being very different bikes. Yes, there is a weight difference but honestly, it's all about bike control. Physically being able to man-handle the bike is completely secondary: it's all about technique whether it's big, slow, fast, slow, light or heavy.

Thanks for the responses. I really can't wait to get going on this. It's so interesting and fun (even on that little 125cc)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thanks for the reply!

My issue is that I think I have to do module 5 on a huge bike that I don't feel ready for.

Sorry only getting back to this now. I see others have given you loads of good advice. All I can say is go and do the IBT, but before you do it speak to the instructor and see what bikes they recommend and what they have.

I am sure few of them will let you come in and try to sit on the bike and see if the hight is good for you before your IBT.

Don't forget, they are there to make it easier for you and make you feel comfortable!

I know, getting the bike was the best decision I made in a long time!

Best of luck with it!

Advertisement