Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed (Sir Liam?)

Options
  • 06-12-2013 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

this is the wiring on my fridge. I'm sorry it's sideways, I have no idea how to turn it round

MY kind technician had disconnected some of the wires and I have no idea which way to put them back

the disconnected areas are:
    the van supply (I think the way I drew them will be correct)

Switch: pretty sure the middle is earth not sure if RED goes on the O side or I side.
    The Control box: Four connections as shown...I don't know which go to where. Markings worn...left hand one (1) is certainly a lightning flash and right hand (4) an earth symbol

THe fridge is working on battery so I'm assuming the black/brown/grey wiring is all earth, not shown but there is an earth connection con grey wire going to switch from second connector

2v116xk.jpg

Comments

Right-click on jpeg file and "rotate clockwise" before uploading ;).

I think you might have to go to a higher source than me. I'm not sure I can figure this one out without mucking in. Given that your wiring isn't stock or really following much convention it may be safest to pay more attention to the voltages and polarity than the colours.
    There isn't much danger of reverse polarity failure on a fridge because they're all resistive loads as long as you don't create a short or switch the wrong side.
    I'm guessing (and this is only a guess etc.)
    The thin wires are relay signal. Yellow&red = +, black brown = -.
    After the second connector black might become + :confused:.
    The Live and switched live going to the fridge switch should not be thin. Usually the convention here is two lives the same colour and an odd coloured ground.

Best advise would be to take the lot to a professional and get it fully working/serviced or spend the day in there with a multimeter sorting and labeling what's what. A 12v element alone won't get you very far.
    Then I'd call around to your technician and let the air out of all 4 of his tyres.

The element should be switched by the fridge control somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the element isn't the problem, that is working....it's just which wire plugs in where on that control unit really.... I tried it earlier and had no joy but I'm pretty sure the earth wire was in the wrong place......I'm working on the length of the wires, some patently don't go to particular points. I'l try again tomorrow...think have my ead round it a bit better.

Old wires will develop a shape from the connections they make. Often if laid out they present themselves how they want to be connected.
    Can the 12volt element turn off while driving?

You could run new grounds easily enough.

there's an external switch for the 12 v element.

I think those terminals on the control box wil be

1 power in

2 power to either switch or gas ignitor
    3 ditto

4 earth

switch is straightforward, presumably if I wire it wrong it will work but light will come on in O position rather than I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

don't know if it's any help but if ya up this way I could always try and pull my fridge out and ya could check the wiring.i know mine works off mains but have no leisure battery or gas.

corktina wrote: »
    there's an external switch for the 12 v element.

I think those terminals on the control box wil be

1 power in

2 power to either switch or gas ignitor
    3 ditto

4 earth

Having never worked on your model I honestly don't know. You need to suss what you can from 12v+/-, chassis continuity, resistance, etc.
    switch is straightforward, presumably if I wire it wrong it will work but light will come on in O position rather than I

According to your wiring diagram you've bypassed the switch.

I have to argue that that is a gas fridge with 12v support. So running it on 12v as a primary isn't achieving a whole lot and given that there's no thermostat on the 12v element you are in danger of melting something expecting 12v to do all the work for you alongside the battery implications I've mentioned previously.
    I'm all for DIYing but in this case I think a qualified service technician is your best bet.

In any case let us know how you get on, as it'll be easier to diagnose as you go.

I'd consider pulling your multi-coloured cable and running just red and black cores while you're at it it'll make live easier next time.

it isn't MY cabling, it is Electroluxes! It just needs plugging back into the right holes. The only colour inconsistency is where the van wiring meets the fridge wiring and the switch isn't bypassed at all. Never mind, I'll sort it out

2rq26iw.jpg

Might be clearer with a photo

you an see 4 wires going into the black box.I have plugged them in where they might fit, but all four were disconnected as were the three on the back of the switch (I fitted a new switch)

Black is the live feed, red and grey go to the switch and white is the lead to the gas ignitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

They don't have a stat on 12v, they run through a fused live, into a switch and on to the element. Perfectly normal and doesn't give trouble usually. The odd burnt connection on a switch , the very odd dead element. I would relay the supply from the car, stitched by D+ so it only works with the engine on.

• Advertisement

The white one is usually the spark electrode wire.

Is the 12v switch one that illuminates? Generally they have 3 wires, the input from car battery,, out to element , and a ground for the light in the switch.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    The white one is usually the spark electrode wire.

but where does it connect?

Is the 12v switch one that illuminates? Generally they have 3 wires, the input from car battery,, out to element , and a ground for the light in the switch.

that's correct. it has two silver terminals and a brass one. The two silver ones are switched so I'm assuming the brass one is the earth. (I think it should light up, but no sign of life as yet)

They don't have a stat on 12v, they run through a fused live, into a switch and on to the element. Perfectly normal and doesn't give trouble usually. The odd burnt connection on a switch , the very odd dead element. I would relay the supply from the car, stitched by D+ so it only works with the engine on.

the 12v element is working and it is wired as you describe. It's simply knowing where the wiring for the gas ignitor goes....

(I assume that box is a relay)

I should add that wherever I plug in the live wire, the rest of the tterminals are dead, possibly the relay is the faulty, although the ignotor was originally clicking as if it was sparking

The white wire would go from the box to the spark electrode. A mini HT lead as it were.

(I assume that box is a relay)
    Assume nothing when working with electrics. That looks more like the spark igniter box.
    I can sort it out for you if you like?

oh please ...can I drop it up to you?

Of course.

can you give me a day...I can do tues/weds/thurs at the least

• Advertisement

Yeah, I see the problem from not having a stat is that the manufacturers assume it's impractical to run it on 12v as a primary. Because of the huge load it draws it's only suitable for intermittent use such as when driving.
    Now if I had a way to power the constant load with, for example a hydro turbine and could spare the power to run it 24/7 on 12v do you think it'd be a problem? If the element can take a constant current then everything inside will freeze and the operating temp. will soar, no?

This does give me an idea though :D. They could make more suitable and serviceable wind/hydro dump loads.

It only runs when the engine runs and there's always the option to turn it off!

That's not the problem. The problem is knowing which wire goes where, simply that.

Wherever I plug in the live, the other terminals are all dead so I am thinking the unit itself is the problem

bugsntinas wrote: »
    don't know if it's any help but if ya up this way I could always try and pull my fridge out and ya could check the wiring.i know mine works off mains but have no leisure battery or gas.

what fridge do you have Bugs?

...ah, seeing as you are looking sorted, I was just hi-jacking your thread to pick Aidan's brain...whistling.gif

..it's kinda related ;)

i'm not sorted at all

I meant you had a way to get it sorted on the cards.

If you get 0v after plugging in a positive I'd first check that the relay is wired correctly. Could be the coil is getting power from the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

what fridge do you have Bugs?

only just seen this.i know it's an Electrolux.i'll check the manual tomorrow.

Good man...if it's similar it may give a clue

Can you leave it to me for a day?

@liam, they can run on 12v as a primary with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Let Aidan fix it but you might find this usefull or interesting, it's the wiring diagram for my camper

https://app.box.com/shared/hllysrxlql

There are three connections to it, the "mains" elemet or 220V AC whe hooked up.

The 12V element which is switched by a reley when the engine is running.
    The 12V igniter to light the gas run from the leisure battery.
    There is also a fan with thermal cut in switch.

Sorry it's a little fuzze I scanned it from the manual and the writing from one page transfered to the other over the years.

Advertisement