Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trackback spam- help

Options
  • 06-12-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

I haven't got a clue about this stuff so I'll ask here in case it is something simple for the experts here.

I'm getting several emails telling me to Moderate 'Trackback' comments on my wordpress website.

Here is an example:
    A new trackback on the post "FAQ's" is waiting for your approval
    URL : http://www.X0eM6.org
    Trackback excerpt:
    <strong>... [Trackback]...</strong>

I then have the choice to approve, trash or spam it.

Sometimes the comments seem to have been sent from other pages on my website and I am wary of deleting them. As far as I am aware I have disabled all comments as I am not using it as a blog but as an ecommerce website.

My Google PR is 1 and has been for some time (It used to be PR3). Could this be anything to do with the trackback links or toxic links? How can I check?

Any info appreciated, thanks (before I end up paying a pro to look at it)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Hi

Have you switched it off in settings?

Settings> Discussion> Uncheck “Allow link notifications from other blogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Hi

Have you switched it off in settings?

Settings> Discussion> Uncheck “Allow link notifications from other blogs

Yes the box is unchecked so it shouldn't be possible to comment.:confused:
    I see also in the settings that an Admin must approve every comment & to email me when someone posts a comment (which explains the emails)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

You might need to delete all of the old posts with the trackback on then clear your cache

You might need to delete all of the old posts with the trackback on then clear your cache

Done.

Any way of finding out if there is 'toxic' links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Your link profile looks ok - but thats a ver quick look. The ip address you posted is a massive spammer. If the comments are vital, keep them - otherwise delete them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

And as I'm passing.... what is with the product titles? and they appear in the url's. Who would ever search for a P4G Bracelet? when a perfectly good description: Birthstone Bracelet - April Diamond could be used instead?
    You should have a look at that - wont help the PR (but dont sweat that anyway)

C

Ah yeah, when we set up the site originally we were putting in all the product codes instead of proper descriptions, just haven't got around to changing all of them.

Advertisement