Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One scam on Ebay

• 06-12-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A dad-of-one who spent £450 on an XBox One for his son's Christmas present was devastated after falling victim to an eBay scam where he got a PHOTO of the console instead.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, thought he had landed a bargain when he purchased the much sought-after games console online on November 28.

He spent a year saving up the cash in order to buy a limited edition version of the games system for four-year-old son McKenzie.

But he was stunned when a grainy photograph of an XBox printed on A4 paper landed through his letterbox on Monday.

To add insult to injury on the back of the picture, the callous seller wrote 'thank you for your purchase'.

After checking the listing on the eBay website Peter soon realised he had fallen victim to a cruel con.

The misleading ad listed under the 'video games and consoles' category stated the item as 'XBox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2012' next to an image of the console.

The online blunder means little McKenzie is likely to be left disappointed this Christmas as the Xbox One has since sold out in the UK.

Yesterday Peter, from Bilborough, Notts, fumed: 'I'm absolutely gutted.

'I was so happy at first when I got the Xbox One, especially because my son had been asking about it and I knew I had got it for him.

297dbfb2-65f2-4442-a49d-914becee886f_NTI_XBOX_XMAS_SCAM_05.jpg

0182b54f-0d51-4b00-8762-bb5898b3d606_NTI_XBOX_XMAS_SCAM_25.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In this day an age people should know to read the description. Once i seen Photo mentioned on the add I knew it was a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Not sure if he has any come back either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its like the Xbox Box that was sold in a similar fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I would have had a lot of sympathy for him had he not gone on to say it was for his 4 year old son. Thats just total bullcrap, 19 year old buys Xbox One for a 4 year old to play on ...... yeah right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

calex71 wrote: »
    I would have had a lot of sympathy for him had he not gone on to say it was for his 4 year old son. Thats just total bullcrap, 19 year old buys Xbox One for a 4 year old to play on ...... yeah right :rolleyes:
    It being the UK, a 19yo with a 4yo kid isn't that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Haha I was hoping my young fella would ask for Xbox this year, he didn't :(

Maybe next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think he means it was really a present for himself, not the kid. Kid angle is just to add to the tabloid sob story methinks.

(Also, what an idiot :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ha I remember that lad. I sold him a picture of a box of condoms near 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I would have had a lot of sympathy for him

I have no sympathy for him. It says photo, his own fault.

He is getting his refund anyways, even though its not deserved.

Wow, who knew I could be so heartless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Ha I remember that lad. I sold him a picture of a box of condoms near 5 years ago.

Pure gold!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

The best part of that ad was the seller actually charged him 8 quid for posting a photo!

At least he got his money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not a scam at all IMO

Clearly listed what the auction was for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Pure gold!!!!!! :D

No, think they were Durex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

syboit wrote: »

Ridiculous. Absolutely does not deserve a free anything. He didn't even deserve a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Wasn't even a good photo :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Its clearly stated in the description of the product.

Its a better look next time kind of situation and shows that someone using the likes of Ebay that had no real idea what they are doing is the type of online buyer thats easy pickings for con artists and scammers.

As bad as the story is, the seller didnt do anything wrong, plus the warning signs were there, he would have had to give his left arm to get one anywhere, thats why he should have proceeded with caution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ghogie91 wrote: »
    As bad as the story is, the seller didnt do anything wrong

Apart from listing a photo in the consoles section of ebay...I'm not defending the buyer, lord knows it was a silly mistake to make, but the seller well knew what they were at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Myrddin wrote: »
    Apart from listing a photo in the consoles section of ebay...I'm not defending the buyer, lord knows it was a silly mistake to make, but the seller well knew what they were at

Oh im not saying that, I know well he knew what he was at :P

Its just I have sympathy for someone who was genuinely shafted, like the guy who ordered the iphone and got a 1980s brick in the post, but for something like this is find it hard to have sympathy for the lad

The release and pre ordering and short supply for 'Day One' Xbox One was well documented millions of times.

• Mycroft H wrote: »

Post of the year for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I was the underbidder for that photo:(. Imagine if I just bid an extra £20, I could have had a photo of an XBox, a full refund from EBay and a FREE XBox ONE from Cex:mad::mad::mad:, ah well maybe next time.
    Some times it pays to be two cans short of a six pack:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

It worked well for him in the end, he got his money back and a new XBOX One as well. Personally I dont think it was worth it though, going through all the humiliation to get a free xbox... uummmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Next stop, Jeremy Kyle.

Advertisement