Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco Express on Leonard's Corner D8

Options
  • 06-12-2013 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

It opened a few days ago. It's a fairly small shop but has a good selection of products unlike the other convenience shops in the area. Opening hours are 7am-11pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks Mr./Mrs. Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Lol, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Yeah, I popped in there last week - not too shabby. Between that and The Headline it's all coming up Leonard's Corner these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

cosmic wrote: »
    Yeah, I popped in there last week - not too shabby. Between that and The Headline it's all coming up Leonard's Corner these days :D

Just a pity New China House changed their curry sauce...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'm pretty disappointed in it tbh, no deli and fresh stuff, off licence not great either

prefer the spar across from the college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I like it, I think they have a good selection for the size of it - plenty of gluten-free stuff, too. It's better than the one on/near Camden St.

I think there are probably enough delis in the area with MACE, Londis, Spar et al.

innad wrote: »
    I like it, I think they have a good selection for the size of it - plenty of gluten-free stuff, too. It's better than the one on/near Camden St.

I think there are probably enough delis in the area with MACE, Londis, Spar et al.

Knock Londis off that list.

Ba6D21-IIAAaetC.jpg
    Mick McCaffrey ‏@mickmcsworld 12h
    Very sad to see Duffy's Londis on South Circular Road closing today 2 weeks after Tesco opened next door. #BuyIrish pic.twitter.com/GLN0I5KUoi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

No sympathy here-the standard of the local convenience stores is just shocking. Many times I've gone looking for the makings of a decent dinner in them if I'm late home from work and just ended up getting a takeaway instead due to their awful product selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I actually meant the Londis on New Street, which has a deli and a Subway, but that is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stopandstare

Am a bit surprised at the decision at Londis - Tesco was open less than two weeks when they decided to throw in the towel - I don't know any small business owner who would give up their livelihood that easily. I live across the road, Londis was always clean, well stocked and efficient but it lacked any personality - I had often commented that staff were really unpleasant at times and absolutely never friendly. I grew up in a small corner shop down the country and our customers were our friends, our community - they still came in to us even after Aldi, Lidl, Mace & Supervalu opened in the same small area. Their shopping habits changed so we changed with them. I continued to go to Londis despite Tesco and my frustrations with the staff yet it seems to have decided to close overnight. I hate how Tesco are taking over but have to admit - the staff are all locals, all friendly, well stocked and great opening hours (Saturday and Sunday mornings really frustrated me with Londis not opening till 9 - I'm a real early bird). Anyway - just my two cents on the situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Im sure Londis would have been in financial trouble long before Tescos came on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Im sure Londis would have been in financial trouble long before Tescos came on the scene

Londis as a whole has been struggling for years, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kylith wrote: »
    Londis as a whole has been struggling for years, I think.

Londis is a franchise setup - each store is its own as far as finances go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

Never cared for that particular Londis and not surprised to see it go.
    They didn't seem to be bother about keeping the shelves stocked or properly labeling prices. The price underneath a product would usually be something that hasn't been on that shelf in months.

Thought the new Tesco Express would be better but their off-licence is lacking in budget items. Or at least it was the times I was in there. The rest of it is decent enough, good selection compared to the smaller convenience stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Crap over-priced off-licence alright, in the Express. The "Next Door" place is the best off-licence around there. Lots of micro-brews, often deals, and cheap cans of lager too if that what you want.

Marenghi wrote: »
    Never cared for that particular Londis and not surprised to see it go.
    They didn't seem to be bother about keeping the shelves stocked or properly labeling prices. The price underneath a product would usually be something that hasn't been on that shelf in months.

I used to go in there the odd Friday evening for about a year, every-time it was "The leap card machine isn't working"...
    donaghs wrote: »
    Crap over-priced off-licence alright, in the Express. The "Next Door" place is the best off-licence around there. Lots of micro-brews, often deals, and cheap cans of lager too if that what you want.

O'Neills is one of the best offo's in Dublin tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

donaghs wrote: »

Where's the Next Door offie? Is that the one down towards Griffith College?

PauloConn wrote: »
    Where's the Next Door offie? Is that the one down towards Griffith College?

O'Neills, next to Spar. It franchised out to Next Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Nice one, didn't know that was there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jordan365

I find the Spar across from Griffith college the cheapest off licence in the area. Excellent deli too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Jordan365 wrote: »
    I find the Spar across from Griffith college the cheapest off licence in the area. Excellent deli too :)

So good that you just had to sign up to Boards to let us all know...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

cosmic wrote: »
    So good that you just had to sign up to Boards to let us all know...

Yeah, the off licence is really not cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

foreign wrote: »
    Knock Londis off that list.

Ba6D21-IIAAaetC.jpg

The foreign company gives me a weekly wage!

I'm pretty sure that Londis would stock a wide range of foreign companies products which they would buy cheaper than there local comparable product. In fact that big HB fridge would be full of foreign products HB is made in England.

Tesco pay Irish people money in wages, buying Irish products, paying Irish taxes, paying Irish bills for electricity/water/gas, use Irish company's for servicing equipment or store maintenance.

I understand some shops cannot compete because when a Tesco or any store that is cheaper lauches beside them the same shop cannot continue to rip people off.

Sounds like Londis monopoly in the area was broken and instead of taking a hit on profits and raising there game they didn't take a chance and kept the money in the bank account rather than investing in there shop.

msg11 wrote: »
    The foreign company gives me a weekly wage!

I'm pretty sure that Londis would stock a wide range of foreign companies products which they would buy cheaper than there local comparable product. In fact that big HB fridge would be full of foreign products HB is made in England.

Tesco pay Irish people money in wages, buying Irish products, paying Irish taxes, paying Irish bills for electricity/water/gas, use Irish company's for servicing equipment or store maintenance.

I understand some shops cannot compete because when a Tesco or any store that is cheaper lauches beside them the same shop cannot continue to rip people off.

Sounds like Londis monopoly in the area was broken and instead of taking a hit on profits and raising there game they didn't take a chance and kept the money in the bank account rather than investing in there shop.

I would suggest the issue with tesco is that every single penny of profit is taken out of Ireland

In essence they are manipulating the Irish market and the tax benefits offered to foreign companies without reinvesting in the economy in the way Londis would being irish owned and operated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Bandara wrote: »
    I would suggest the issue with tesco is that every single penny of profit is taken out of Ireland

In essence they are manipulating the Irish market and the tax benefits offered to foreign companies without reinvesting in the economy in the way Londis would being irish owned and operated

Tesco are not as profitable as they once where. They have pulled out of the US and Asia markets. Not 100% but they could be at a loss on there Irish operation. There focusing on a hard UK market with other strong retailers.

What are the tax breaks Tesco get over Londis.

msg11 wrote: »
    Tesco are not as profitable as they once where. They have pulled out of the US and Asia markets. Not 100% but they could be at a loss on there Irish operation. There focusing on a hard UK market with other strong retailers.

What are the tax breaks Tesco get over Londis.

A foreign company like tesco will have negotiated huge tax allowances far in excess of what is available to a home grown company. Unfair, but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bandara wrote: »
    A foreign company like tesco will have negotiated huge tax allowances far in excess of what is available to a home grown company. Unfair, but true.

Have you got even a smidgen of proof here or are you speculating wildly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the contribution foreign companies make to the national economy. Salaries paid to workers and the supply of local goods and services account for most of this contribution. What companies do with their profits would be anyones guess.

Advertisement