Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Christmas Day Food and Drink Schedule of Goodies

Options
  • 06-12-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I know there's a Christmas thread relating to advice but I'm interested to hear in the specifics of everyone's typical Christmas day with regards to goodies! What do you normally eat and drink from when you get up in the morning to when you go to bed that evening? I love to hear of people's different Christmas individual/family traditions and what is a typical day of eating, drinking and merriment in their house!

I'll get started!

Breakfast normally around 9-10am:

We always say we won't have an Irish breakfast but Dad invariably ends up doing a few little rashers/eggs for everyone. I normally have a light breakfast consisting of eggs and toast.

11am-12am
    Crack open the bubbly and everyone will have a Bucks Fizz or two to toast the festive season!

Dinner usually starts from about 2pm on and extends out over a few hours

2pm Starter: Usually a choice of fois gras and toast or wild smoked Irish salmon with homemade brown bread

4pm Main course: Organic turkey from local supplier, honey glazed baked ham, roasties, boiled potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, peas, homemade stuffing and white wine gravy

6pm/7pm Dessert: Homemade pudding or homemade lemon cheesecake
    (All above usually washed down with wayyyy too much prosecco and various wines)

9pm: Usually have Stilton and port around this time with various crackers/chutneys etc

11pm/12am: Normally bump into siblings rat arsed in the kitchen making a turkey and stuffing sammich to act as soakage for the ridiculous amount of alcohol that has been imbibed throughout the day. Sandwich normally made with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and lashing of mayo.

All of the above interspersed with Quality Street (not the green ones eeeughh) and After Eights while playing board games etc.

:eek: God it sounds like a lot when you see it all written down! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Very detailed day.

Usually wake up around the same time 9 or 10 am. I am not a fry person so I just have a bowl of corn flakes and a slice of bread, as I want to leave plenty of room for Dinner, Desert Drink etc...

Dinner typically kicks off round 1 or 2 pm generally when all the family gets together and all the presents have been unwrapped. Dinner Consists of the Turkey and Ham with stuffing Roast potatoes, carrots turnip sprouts, which I would not be a fan of typically, but seen as it Christmas I always end up having a few on my plate. Everything covered in Turkey gravy from Bisto which a spoon full of cranberry sauce. After that Evonne usually take a break before any desert. Tend to live on sweets and drinks for the day

Don't typically play boards game but usually end up watching Only fools and Horses Christmas special or Royal Family something along that nature.

I unlike yourself love the Green quality streets.:)

Writing this is making me Hungry:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My day is typically roses or heros in the morning, selection box round noon, force down the turkey and stuffing around 2pm, triffle around 4pm, more sweets between 5 & 8, egg mayo sambos and cakes around 10 and a lot of drink throughout the day

And i wonder why im fa......large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Flipping heck, some nastiness in here!

I think I am your twinsie Merkin. We do pretty much the same. It is one day and it is worth spending to make it really good as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Animord wrote: »
    Flipping heck, some nastiness in here!

I think I am your twinsie Merkin. We do pretty much the same. It is one day and it is worth spending to make it really good as far as I am concerned.

Thanks Animord, nice to see some Christmas cheer. :) Am genuinely flabbergasted by the nastiness, the thread was only set up with the intent of talking about the deliciousness and over-indulgence of tasty goodies and to ask people what they have to eat/drink on my FAVOURITE day of the year.

And it's not about being rich or poor. No matter the financial circumstances, everyone likes to push the boat out a little at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

edit.....boo...

Booo Grinch.

:mad:

Enjoy Merkin!...:) I hope you and your family have a fantastic day. :)

You've given me food for thought!...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I envy you lot who gets to sit down for 2pm, which is my preferred time, but a couple of the regular diners have to do their rounds first, and we only get to sit at 5pm the earliest.
    It goes pretty quick between starters and main, then a pause for table quiz and presents, before having dessert.
    Then continue to games, which I'm still working on, but darts is on the list. Should be fun after a few crates of drinks.
    The night usually ends at 5am for me, one or two might stay up til 8am.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    then a pause for table quiz

That is a brilliant idea!

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks Animord, nice to see some Christmas cheer. :) Am genuinely flabbergasted by the nastiness, the thread was only set up with the intent of talking about the deliciousness and over-indulgence of tasty goodies and to ask people what they have to eat/drink on my FAVOURITE day of the year.

And it's not about being rich or poor. No matter the financial circumstances, everyone likes to push the boat out a little at Christmas!

I was delighted when I saw the thread, I thought I might get some good ideas for something different. And absolutely, I save for this day, it is important in our house to push the boat out for one day.

I had liver three times last week so I can afford a decent ham and see no reason why that should affect anyone else out there. My money, my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

The calorie consumption on Christmas day must be extraordinary. People must consume in the region of 4000 calories.

For me St Stpehen day is pretty much the same as christmas day except I dont eat as many sweets, but they are usually replaced with drink which has more calories probably. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Zell

I'm with Merkin! It reads pretty much like our Christmas day except that we manage a walk on the beach when the turkey is in the oven!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

This will be my first year not dining with my own family. We will be eating with the inlaws this year. Usually we start the day with some sausages, rashers and eggs as we don't tend to eat dinner until 4/5 pm. Dinner is pretty 80's but oh so delicious. We have prawn cocktail for a starter and then soup and garlic bread for those weird non seafood people. We then have the traditional turkey, ham, spice beef, stuffing, goose fat roast potatoes, mash, gravy, carrots and brussel sprouts washed down with a couple of glasses of wine. Dessert is usually trifle or pavlova(and vienetta for my dad :) ) There's usually a selection of cheeses later and the obligatory Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I will be having a latte and a Golden Crisp from my first selection box for breakfast at about nine, as I rip wrapping paper off presents with my (chocolate-coated) teeth.

About eleven, we are forced to grow up and get dressed and head off to the folks, where we're having a fruit tray (healthy sisters, yawn) and about eight pounds of cheese (tubby me, yay) for second breakfast. I'm also bringing french onion dip because they all love it. Will open the fizz about now, while ripping the paper off the second batch of presents. Quick drink and mince pie with the neighbours, then Termonfeckin Delicious Turkey, plus ham (which I will have been eating bits of since eleven), plus turkey dripping roasties and whatever other vegetables are in Dad's garden about four-ish. Dessert of some description (it changes every year) after, then coffee and my second selection box while watching James Bond. Tea and mince pies later, then off home, more cheese, and bed :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nasty posts deleted and posters infracted. That sort of attitude is not welcome in our haven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Wow Merkin your main meal is so stretched out! You have 2 hours between each course?? We'd die! We don't have breakfast Christmas morning, maybe a slice of toast or a few mince pies at around 11am. Dinner is served at about 2, so our starters (seafood cocktail, lovely big salmon chunks yum) are finished by about 2.15 and we have the main served at about 2.25, turkey, ham, mash, roast potato, carrots, sprouts, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing.

...What do ye do for the 2 hours after starter? I'm intrigued :o We'd be sitting around an empty table hungry and desperate for the next course.

Then we have dessert straight after, usually trifle (traditional sherry one and jelly one), plum pudding and another dessert that Mum changes every year so whatever she fancies making. Dinner takes about 1.5-2 hours max from start to finish. Then we eat sweeties if they're around and have ham sandwiches, mince pies and fruit cake with tea at about 7. We don't drink so we tend to put away a lot of food at dinner and munching on mince pies after etc.

Lol, dinners tend to be marathon type events tbh so the starter would begin at 2pm for example and everyone might have finished the actual food by 2.30 but we'd all sit around the table drinking wine/pulling crackers/talking etc while various people get up and sit down to put finishing touches to the main course. And rinse and repeat. So we will all use the dining table as our base in between helping out etc and we could be there from 2pm to about 7pm! :)

Merkin wrote: »
    Lol, dinners tend to be marathon type events tbh so the starter would begin at 2pm for example and everyone might have finished the actual food by 2.30 but we'd all sit around the table drinking wine/pulling crackers/talking etc while various people get up and sit down to put finishing touches to the main course. And rinse and repeat. So we will all use the dining table as our base in between helping out etc and we could be there from 2pm to about 7pm! :)

Yeah, we do all the same things during it, pull crackers, take photos, talk, etc. Mum handles all the food prep, two other relatives wash plates and get it all ready to go, Mum is a culinary machine so it takes her very little time to have it all ready to serve, and she requires no help, maybe that's it. Still baffled, it's like we're talking about different dimensions time-wise, same meal (as in number of courses, volume of food, etc), same activities, 2-3 times the time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Great thread! We start off the day with just tea & toast and maybe start into a box of chocs.

Off to mass and then a fry up when we come back. Another dip into the chocs and then dinner around 3. The folks are coming to ours this year and they love traditional christmas dinner so we have to have turkey and ham. With lots of roasties, mash, carrots, roast parsnips, brussels sprouts, peas, tinned peas for Da, & a mountain of stuffing.

We'll let this settle for a bit then have the obligatory trifle. Throughout the rest of the evening we'll have crisps, chocolates, maybe a bit of cake & pudding.

Evening time we'll have some turkey & ham sambos. An we'll probably squeeze in some more sweets & crisps. As the folks don't drink we'll hold off on the alcohol a bit, maybe just a glass of wine with dinner and a glass that night.
    Getting hungry thinking about it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gosh, we have such a dull Christmas comparatively. There's only 3 of us these days,which doesn't help. We get up whenever we feel like it, eat a normal breakfast and mooch around. I usually try to watch A Miracle On 34th Street. My parents usually take the dog out at some point.

At about 12, my mum and I start preparing lunch, which is eaten at about 3. When we have time, we open presents - a fairly quick affair for proper presents, and then we spend ages going through what my dad got from patients.

By 3 or 3.30, we eat and start on the wine. Dinner takes maybe 1.5 hours from start to finish. Starters change every year. This year, we're having a traditional main course with everything you'd expect. Dessert is Christmas pudding with brandy butter. The highlight of my day is lighting the pudding on fire :D. When we're done, we all wash up and clean the dining room etc.

Then everyone pretty much does their own thing for the rest of the day! Watch tv, read books, play with gifts. My parents don't drink much so I sneakily drink ALL the wine and eat as much chocolate as I can manage.

Sometimes I have a Brie and cranberry sandwich to finish the day off but that's really it!

I'd love to have a big family and spend Christmas like Merkin's family, but alas, it's not on the cards for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm up with the kids around 7 or 8am. Usually play with them and watch them opening their gifts, the delight on their faces makes Christmas for me. We go to my parents house every year but this year my sister in law is cooking for is all. I'd normally eat cereal at about 10am. Sit down to dinner at about 2.30, starter of prawn cocktail or soup. Mains follows shortly after and consists of turkey, honey glazed ham and stuffing. Boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, roast parsnips (yum) tescos finest!, carrots and Brussels sprouts (yuck). Cranberry sauce and gravy also. Dessert is usually a sherry trifle with a huge amount of sherry in it :)
    Then spend the evening watching Christmas specials on tv and gorging on all kinds of Christmas treats. I don't drink so I usually watch everyone fall asleep merrily.

We have a really lovely Christmas, I think it really looks like a Christmas ad :o We have 14-18 people ranging from babies to grandparent, we all pile into the one house from lunchtime onwards, there's hugs and presents and catching up all round, then we sit for dinner and have a great laugh. After that we all pile back into the sitting room (which is tiny so we fight for the couch and the rest sit on the floor) with all of us playing games and opening more presents.

We watch a kids movie that we all enjoy, then something like a comedian's Christmas Special, but this year we're watching my wedding dvd apparently :) Then Corrie and stuff are on so as people start to leave us stragglers take over the couch and get toasty warm with the fire (the kids block the heat from it when they're there!), then the rest of us head home. Might watch a movie or comedian at home then in my pj's with any more food I can fit in. Love it :)

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I sneakily drink ALL the wine

I do this DURING the cooking which could possibly explain years of dry turkey :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Up around 9am and Dad will cook some sausages and toast. We head to mass then, and once that is done, call next door to my aunts. She will have fresh coffee ready, and warm mince pies for those who are a fan. She will also offer mushroom soup but everyone always declines.
    Then back home where dinner will be around 2/3. Starter will be a choice of prawn cocktail or prawns in filo pastry. My brothers girlfriend is Romanian, so she will have made sarmale (stuffed cabbage rolls) for a course between the starter and main dinner. I stick to the wine during this course.
    The main is then turkey, ham, mash potato, roast potato, potato stuffing, turnip, Brussel sprouts (and boiled celery for my parents). Oh and potato croquettes.
    Dessert is sherry trifle or banoffee pie.
    Then Dad's family arrive, and my mother will cook party food like cocktail sausages, mini quiches, sausage rolls and the like around 10pm, and before long there will be ham and turkey sandwiches with potato stuffing being made.
    The last stragglers will head home around 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Growing up in a big family, we always had huge loud rowdy brilliant Christmas dinners. My Dad is an amazing cook and he bakes cranberry muffins on Christmas morning, which are eaten warm from the oven with a glass of sherry. We never really did breakfast, possibly some chocolate but not 'real food'. Dinner was smoked salmon followed by turkey etc, then trifle and Christmas pudding. Tons of wine, lots of people shouting and laughing and generally having a ridiculous time.

This year myself and my fiance are going to stay in our own apartment for Christmas and are starting our own traditions together. Breakfast will be a slice of Pandoro cake (cake for breakfast!) and a glass of Prosecco. I'm not a ham fan but himself loves it; similarly I love turkey but he's not mad on it, so we will cook both. Roast potatoes, roasted carrots, gravy and at least 2 different types of sausage stuffing. Dessert will either be trifle or tiramisu.

I'm such a sucker for Christmas movies, I will watch something like Charle & the Chocolate Factory or Miracle on 34th Street and have a lovely sob at how lovely Christmas is. This is our last Christmas as a non-married couple and it's all kinds of emotional and wonderful and exciting.

The evening will involve elasticated pants, Roses, terrible jokes from crackers and MOAR WINE.

Bloody hell, I love Christmas!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Our daughters are usually home for Christmas and we get up around 9. I'll have cooked the ham on Christmas eve and we have slices of cold ham with fried eggs on toast - sounds weird but it works! We exchange presents, then get dressed and all pitch in with organising dinner, which we have at around 2. My sisters in law have dinner with us, then we relax and watch a film in front of the fire for while before the rest of my family (except for my brother and his family in the US) arrive for the evening. We usually have a buffet supper of cold meats, salads and some hot nibbles, and play board games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I like to eat as little as possible in the morning, nothing bar a cup of tea if I can help it, maybe a lovely light few slices of buttered brioche. The reason for this being we have Christmas lunch at around 2 or half 2 so I want to be absolutely ravenous for it!

A traditional dinner of turkey, cloved gammon, homemade cranberry sauce, brussels sprouts (which I actually like!), carrot, turnip, parsnip and sweet potato mash, creamed spuds, roast spuds and The Best Stuffing In the World TM. (stuffed inside the bird of course) No booze for me or most of the fam, my sis might have a few glasses of wine. I love to have cola with my Christmas dinner, more out of tradition and nostalgia than anything else, as when I was young we only got fizzy drinks at birthdays and Christmastime. :)

We follow this with trifle, no pud in our house usually. I at this stage tend to suffer from postprandial somnolence and retire to my bed to pass out for a few hours. I then emerge zombie-like in search of chocolate which I groggily eat whilst watching TV. I annoy the cat for a while with our jazz-playing Santy decoration and then have a bit of cold turkey, ham and stuffing on a plate with some cranberry sauce.

Then probably more chocolate and TV, then the leaba.

The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

One of my siblings is getting married next year, so this will be the last Christmas we're all around the table together as the original family unit! I don't know if that would change things massively, I really doubt it!

I'm an early riser and usually have a couple of sausages to curb the hangover hunger on Christmas morning. We usually open any presents after breakfast, although we've decided to do Kris Kringle this year so this won't take so long! Then we usually help our mother with anything that needs to be done - whipping cream, laying out the starter etc.

My parents live in the countryside close to relatives, so our uncles and cousins usually pop over for a sherry/whiskey/mulled wine between 12 and 2. We usually start eating around 2 and finish up around 4. My parents then go for their traditional walk for an hour or so and we usually clean up. The clean up is so hard when you are this stuffed, but it's hard to relax when you know you still have to do it later on!

Then all the "kids" (we're all mid-late twenties) retire to the sitting room to chat and watch whatever afternoon kids movie is on. We sometimes play boardgames or do a quiz or something too. We also start lacing into the booze!

There's a steady consumption of chocolates throughout the day. In the evening I usually don't eat anything savoury until 9 - leftovers and cheeses/meats selection with red wine.

Then after the big movie/Downton Abbey or whatever, I'm usually so full and tipsy that I got to bed around 12! Ah, I can't wait for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Up early to give Dad a hand do a bit of prep in the kitchen. Sisters then cook breakfast (scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, bucks fizz). Off to mass and then a walk in the forest park to stretch the legs, get everyone out of the house for a chat and some fresh air before present opening.

Back and into the kitchen with my Dad and aunt so it's an enjoyable team effort to get the dinner on the table for 3-4pm (the chefs get to start on a little drop of wine). No starter but free range turkey, stuffing, ham from our own pig, roast potatoes, marrow fat peas, carrots, bacon rolls, gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce. Then a breather and my aunt's Christmas pudding with brandy butter. Traditional trifle for the non pudding eaters then it's relaxing for the evening. We normally buy a 1000 piece jigsaw to keep us all occupied in between chatting and the odd power nap!

Tea and piece of christmas cake or a chocolate kimberley later in the evening and/or a few leftovers sneaked out of the fridge. We decided a few years ago not to have any roses/celebrations/selection boxes etc. but stick to one tin of chocolate kimberley. Everyone helps with a bit of the washing up so there's not a mountain to face on Stephen's Day before the racing.

It's really interesting to hear what others do on the day. I think it's really nice the way families evolve their own little traditions within the general festivities over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We don't have traditions really because for the last 10 years or so we've gone on holidays for Christmas so Christmas dinner was usually had in a restaurant. I've spent Christmasses in various parts of the world over the past few years and it is fun.

This year we've a baby so we're going to be home for Christmas and we're going on holidays for New Year instead. I'm hoping to start new traditions that will last for years. We only live ten minutes from my parents but we're going to stay there the nights of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

For Christmas Eve I'm making a "Christmas Eve Box" which we'll open in the evening. It has in it new pyjamas and slippers for everyone (so my brother, parents, husband, me and the baby), snacks, wine and a DVD. We'll all have a cosy night in together in our new pjs.

Christmas Day I'm making sausages with brioche rolls for breakfast and then we'll open our presents (including Santa presents for the baby) and go to church. After we get back we're going in to the neighbours for a drink and then we'll come home and I'm cooking dinner for about 5 - ham, turkey, Brussels sprouts, carrot and parsnip mash (the baby loves it!), prune and pistachio stuffing, cranberry sauce, potato dauphinoise and potato croquettes followed by trifle and cheesecake or something else chocolate based. I've made a Christmas cake too. There were some dissenters who wanted dinner earlier but I told them I was cooking it and didn't want to be in the kitchen all morning - so tough!

Then we'll probably put the baby to bed and play a board game or watch a film nibbling at leftovers and chocolates.

I really can't wait and this thread has got me even more excited :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

This year I am spending Xmas with my bf and we can't wait, it will be just the two of us and as we've never spent a full Xmas day together before we are really looking forward to it.

We'll breakfast about 11am, lunch about 2-3pm and then dinner about 6-7pm.

We aren't doing ham/turkey etc as I don't like Turkey and am not mad on ham either, so we'll do either a four bird roast, duck or something else.

After dinner we'll just relax with some drinks and a movie, or two. We haven't decided if we want desert or not. I was gonna make something chocolate-y but we'll see. I might just make lemon cake or something, we dunno yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Toast4532 wrote: »
    This year I am spending Xmas with my bf and we can't wait, it will be just the two of us and as we've never spent a full Xmas day together before we are really looking forward to it.

We'll breakfast about 11am, lunch about 2-3pm and then dinner about 6-7pm.

We aren't doing ham/turkey etc as I don't like Turkey and am not mad on ham either, so we'll do either a four bird roast, duck or something else.

After dinner we'll just relax with some drinks and a movie, or two. We haven't decided if we want desert or not. I was gonna make something chocolate-y but we'll see. I might just make lemon cake or something, we dunno yet.

You have two hours to create a perfect 3 course meal.

Lets cook.

Advertisement