Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Christmas Day Food and Drink Schedule of Goodies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I am going out for a Christmas Dinner tonight! I am starving for it having read this thread today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We usually have a turkey dinner again on Stephens Day and it is so nom heated up with the gravy from the day before - nearly tastes better sometimes! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oooh, leftovers. So, if there's enough meat, there are two.

Turkey curry, and also the epic turkey and ham pie, with flaky puff pastry top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

leahyl wrote: »
    We usually have a turkey dinner again on Stephens Day and it is so nom heated up with the gravy from the day before - nearly tastes better sometimes! :pac:

Probably my favourite meal of the Christmas period.
    Cold turkey, stuffed turkey leg, ham and spiced beef; fried up mashed potato; reheated veg (usually sprouts, carrot and parsnip mash and some roast veg) and hot turkey gravy over the cold meat. I love it - I'm usually a bit stressed getting the dinner on the day to fully enjoy it (I do enjoy it but not as much as I'd like) but the reheated Stephen's day dinner is just the ticket!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We alternate every year in our family between our place and my aunts house. Whoever hosts on Christmas day the other will host a very small party on Christmas eve that usually ends about 11.

Usually get up about 9:30, open presents and then breakfast for me is toast. And then some port and cheese.

Dinner usually 2 or 3. I hate faffing around a dinner table, usually dinner takes about an hour and then it's back to sit on the sofas. Out to friends house on Christmas night.

Starter usually the same in our gaff - prawns. Usual main and some sort of cake for desert. Never christmas pudding as none of us actually like it. :)

That said, we are not a family of planners and so don't stick by any sort of time schedule. Planning a day like that actually irritates us, very much a go with the flow type thing so I say 3 for dinner but it could easily end up being 5 or 6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On St. Stephen's Day we have bubble & squeak. Leftover mash, roast potatoes, veg (even some sprouts!) and ham all chopped up and fried in butter in a huge pan until it's hot and crisp in parts. With lots of Chef brown sauce on the side - it's yum :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    Loved reading this thread so far.

Looks like we are the only family who have the traditional cork spiced beef for breakfast, rather than with the dinner?

Spiced beef is cooked christmas eve evening (house smells AMAZING), and left to cool overnight. First taste of it is on hot buttered toast first thing in the morning. So nice. yum yum.

No, I should have mentioned that actually! We cook spiced beef usually the night before Christmas Eve and we pick at it over the Christmas period. Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Changes from year to year but this year looks like

Christmas Eve
    Lunch somewhere with the kids followed by some visits etc and then home for tea time some tv and bed time. usually get a nice bit of steak for herself and myself with some good wine and maybe a dram before hitting the sack

Christmas Day
    up early for confirmation that Santa has been! Croissants all round and maybe some scrambled eggs and bacon before heading to church. That done I think the plan is to have the parents in law drop in before they head to their dinner location and if so plan to have some bubbly with nuts, etc (late morning). Will then get the main gig going for serving at around 2:30 or so. No idea for a starter as yet but mains will be Goose and all the usual. Hosting my Mum so depending on transport for her I might just have a small glass of wine (then again..). When Mum is dropped off likely to take to the couch with some more wine (or a grappa and espresso if possible) watch a movie as the kids crash and then once in bed might have a decadent sandwich or more likely some cheese (at which point I fall asleep!)

Stephens Day
    No idea at all. Used to go racing and that would be big fry followed by loads of pints and then devouring reheated leftovers before heading out again to the pub and then a card session (many many a year since I have any of that believe me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Toast for brekkie.

Usually have salmon, melon or soup for staters but doing away with this in favour of having dinner later in the day so people can do lunch in their own houses..

Usually have chips and dips about the place..

On to dinner which is Turkey and ham or beef depending on your persuasion. Usually the turkey and ham is served in a massive tray with the ham on the bottom, bit of stuffing and a slice of Turkey on top. Mam usually coats all this in the gravy so you end up with a perfect sized portion with crispy bits and gravy soaked bits.

Desert is usually a trio of brownies, merengue and pavlova

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    We cook spiced beef usually the night before Christmas Eve and we pick at it over the Christmas period. Incredible!

All this talk of spiced beef has made me want some so I'm going to buy the makings of it at the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

All this talk of spiced beef has made me want some so I'm going to buy the makings of it at the weekend :)

I must pick some up myself! I was in town today but I was too knackered to fight the English Market crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Des Byrne in Skerries does a great spiced beef. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

This thread is AMAZING!

Christmas eve myself and my mam get the prep done for dinner. I make some type of cheesecake (this year I'm hoping to do a pistachio and white chocolate one) and some type of soup (thinking mushroom or proper country veg this year, which I serve in little tea cups and saucers which my parents got as a wedding present and were ornamental for 40 odd years, quite proud I finally found a use for them!! We're more mugs of tae type people :) ). Then I go for drinks with friends, land home about 11 ish with a 3 n 1.

Wake very early Christmas morning (total giddy child) do presents, head to mass. Sisters for breakfast (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs), bucks fizz. Back home, munchies on the go - chocolates, pringles, nuts. I make belini's, baileys hot chocolates and non alcoholic cocktails for the kids (sometimes just a fizzy drink with a little umbrella but its always a huge novelty as we never have fizzy drinks in the house!). Family all call round, we give out about the sh1t on the telly, slagging, having the craic.... I'll give mam a hand with the dinner - turkey and ham, braised red cabbage, carrots, mashed turnip, brussel sprouts, stuffing, roasties, croquettes, mash, cranberry sauce and gravy. Then start the meal about 3, some soup, then back into the sitting room to chill, then some prawn cocktail (classic!), then back to sitting room, then the main, we pull crackers, read the crap jokes.
    After the dinner I usually have to bail int the sitting room because I am totally stuffed. We just lay the deserts out on the table for an hour or so and help ourselves then take it into the sitting room as we fancy it.

Play a few games, some charades etc.... Hoping to get the chase board game this year. Pan out for the rest of the evening! Make sneaky sambos about 10. Can't wait for it! I wouldn't drink a whole lot, probably 3/4 drinks throughout the course of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

leahyl wrote: »
    MMMM I love potato stuffing! I just assumed everyone had it on Christmas Day!

Me too, only after i read this thread have i heard about non potato stuffing:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Me and a few mates are having Christmas drinking session that involves Christmas dinner before we go on the lash.

@Sean_pop - If you wish to post again, please do so in the spirit of the thread. 'Going on the lash' is not what this thread is about.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Christmas for us starts at about 9am. We get up, do the presents, and my mam makes French toast & bacon and a big pot of coffee. After breakfast I’ll get things started for dinner. Thankfully I’m not working Christmas Eve this year so I can get some of the prep done the day before.

There’ll be at least 4 of us, and possibly my uncle, aunt & 2 young cousins as well. The proceedings will start at about 2, with Cava and some tapas style starters –chorizo, Iberico ham, Manchego cheese & a few other Spanish treats.

Main course will be:
    Roast turkey
    Ham in a honey, mustard & whiskey glaze
    Honey roast veg
    2 kinds of stuffing (one with sausage meat & herbs, one without)
    Mashed potatoes, gravy & cranberry sauce
    All served with a lovely Rioja.

For dessert we’ll be having Christmas pudding, homemade dulche de leche ice cream, and some kind of cheesecake/tart for those who don’t like pud, still to be decided upon.
    Later in the evening there’ll be a cheeseboard, port & of course the famed turkey sandwiches!

Then on St. Stephens Day I’m off to the races in Leopardstown, and they can feed themselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Get up around 8.30/9, I have a bowl of cocopops first! Only day in the year I ever eat them but it was my childhood tradition and I keep it up! Then everyone else has a full Irish, while I have veggie sausages, grilled tomatoes and brown bread.

My Dad breaks out the sherry around 12 and insists everyone has some, and I also do even though I hate it but I do because it's Christmas!

Then prosecco comes out before starters around 2pm, which is always tomatoes, red onion and basil in balsamic and evoo on toasted bread, with cream cheese if you want it.

Then Christmas dinner of turkey & ham, while I have a nut roast, and roast potatoes, mash, stuffing, brussel sprouts, carrots, gravy.. think that's the lot!
    with wine.

Then dessert is pudding, xmas cake, trifle or mince pies, or all 4! Followed by coffee and more wine.

Then some grazing of chocolates until about 9pm when people start making leftovers sandwichs, I always have nutroast & stuffing baguette! Then the fight over mam's annual rich chocoloate log, with accuasations among the (grown up!!!) siblings of bigger slices and sneaking in for seconds! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

roweeeeena wrote: »

I have a nut roast

May I have your recipe for nut roast please? I love the one from Avoca very much

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    May I have your recipe for nut roast please? I love the one from Avoca very much

Hi, I love the avoca one also! I usually have that but a few weeks ago I decided to make my own nut roast -egg and dairy free.

The recipe for that is here http://naturalfuel.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/quinoa-lentil-cashew-nut-roast-gf-wf-df-ef/

but if you would prefer to leave the dairy and egg in you could sub the chia gel for egg, and sprinkle grated cheese throughout or over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

How soon do people start drinking?
    I have a glass of wine at dinner and then I start back on the wine in the evening.
    I like the idea of having an early tipple but I'd be half-cut by dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Normally have a Bucks Fizz around 11am Fussy. I think it's the one day of the year where you can respectably open a bottle of booze before midday and not be accused of having a drink problem! :D I'm pregnant so I will be having just the orange juice this year but normally I'd be launching myself on the bottle of bubbly as early as possible with hearty enthusiasm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We'll probably have a glass of something fizzy around 11 or 12 to clink glasses and be smiley then a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. Too much booze during the day (combined with Christmas central heating) would have me asleep before dinner so I can't do what I'd really like to do and put a straw in a bottle of prosecco. Then me, my sister and my mam will sit into the night alternating wine & tea and talking

I'll have a couple of G&Ts around 11am with the spiced beef & smoked salmon. Then a glass of sherry or two while I'm getting the dinner ready (1-3pm). Probably just the one glass of wine with dinner & a coffee & grappa afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have a glass of wine at dinner and then I start back on the wine in the evening.
    At my dad's last year he had bucks fizz just after lunch time when all the guests arrived, at my auntie's house the wine would be flowing just before dinner, so again the afternoon.

At home in my own house, generally in the evening or just before bed, my grandmother dislikes alcohol so best not to wind her up early on in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

fussyonion wrote: »

We don't really drink much, maybe a small glass of wine with dinner but that would be it. This year myself and my husband might share a bottle of wine in the evening as it's our first Christmas together so I have someone else who likes red wine/doesn't have to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

First of all , I'm loving this thread. its making me antipate christmas much more than any amount of advertising could.

We will be having 6 for xmas day. One MIL and three friends one of which is a vegetarian.

We usually have a few friends stay with us, so one of them cooks breakfast on xmas day. Its something different every year, some years better than others!

We would have some mimosas with this or some other version of a champagne/ prosecco cocktail .

After breakfast , its straight into dinner prep!

I do most of the cooking for the dinner, but my OH and guests do other bits and bobs, i.e. decorating the table, some food prep.

I like to keep tippling all day, but am also careful as I dont want to ruin the dinner due to being half cut.

We will have a light starter , around 4ish. I havent fully decided what yet. Im thinkinh a beetroot cured gravadlax and a veggie option also.

Dinner is usually a goose , with apple & prune stuffing and a potato stuffing, a veggie main (this years will be Ottolenghis Tallegio stuffed mushrooms), sprouts( a different way every year), maple roasted parsnips, goose fat parmesan roasties, giblet gravy made the day before, carrots (a different way every year). There will also be roast ham if anyones able for it.

We will probably serve a Barolo and and a dry Alsace Riesling with this.

We tend to eat quite late, it could between 5 to 7. And we stay at the table for most of the evening.

There will a xmas pud with custard for dessert (because the MIL made one), and some other dessert as well. Possible a chocolate mousse. There will be cheese also, but I seriously doubt anyone will be able for it.

When finished we will roll ourselves to the sitting room to watch Downton (sky + earlier) and anything else that takes our fancy. the wineing will continue till bed!

jmauel wrote: »
    goose fat parmesan roasties

I'm going to start a campaign for a drooling smiley - we need one for this forum!! I LOVE the sound of those roasties, nyum! :)

Drool.gif

• Advertisement

Drool.gif

Lolers, that's exactly what I had in mind!! :D Thanks HB!

Advertisement