Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Christmas Day Food and Drink Schedule of Goodies

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Breakfast 10am: Probably rashers and egg (even though every year we say no we wont eat such a big breakfast :rolleyes:)

Dinner about 2 or 3: Full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings.

Dessert about 5 (after the usual food coma :pac:) : Trifle as usual or ice cream

7 or 8: Turkey Sandwiches

Snacking throughout the day: Crisps, Pringles, Celebrations, copious amounts of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I said at the beginning of this thread that we do like Merkin, but now that I think of it, maybe we don't! There will be nine for dinner this year - it is normally more than that. Our Christmas starts on Christmas Eve, we have a big dinner with ham, red cabbage, mashed potato and trifle for afterwards. Obviously there is wine! The ham is kind of the most important part of Christmas for us and I order one in September from Gubeen Smokehouse.

On Christmas day we usually have porridge with cream and brown sugar, or toast at about 10.00 am after Santy has been and the bulk of the presents have been ripped apart. We might have soup at lunch time.

Then we have dinner at about 5.00/6.00 ish. We start with smoked salmon and pate, olives and a couple of glasses of champagne, then the main course of turkey, ham, roast potatoes, carrots done in butter and Brussels sprouts, which are roasted with butter and garlic. Stuffing obviously - that is pretty important! Then there is Christmas pud with brandy butter and mince pies, left over trifle and maybe home made icecream.

We have lots of chocolates, fruit and cheese for the last course and then coffee. We never have any television on and the rest of the evening is usually spent with liqueurs and chatting until everyone starts to fall asleep.

Having read all of this thread though I think I might introduce some changes this year. Potato stuffing!; I love the idea of board games or table quizzes; and the Ferrero Rocher cheesecake looks like it might make an appearance. Or maybe that should wait until Stephen's day? Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This is not about food, but for those of you looking for board games..
    There's this really cool edition of Monopoly with Limited Edition Gold Tokens; basically earlier this year the public were asked to choose a new token and retire a current one.

The public chose to replace the iron with a cat, but in this limited edition of Monopoly, they've included all the tokens that were in the running and also the iron.
    Really nice thing to have and only €20.99.

I wish I'd have known about this back when I bought Monopoly in Smyth's a few weeks ago :mad:

http://www.toys.ie/Classic-Monopoly-Limited-Edition-Token-Pack--ROI--!127710-prd.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

FussyOnion, you have just reminded me - one year I got Scrabble and Monopoly but with all the stuff made of Chocolate - I got them in the UK - probably John Lewis I think. There is nothing funnier than eating your brother's hotel when he isn't looking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've also been reading this thread with a watery mouth. Breakfast will be the traditional full Irish, I was over-ruled on the eggs Benedict so I may do it St. Stephen's day though American-style pancakes with bacon and maple syrup was had on my birthday this year for the one and only time and was fairly awesome so that's in contention too.

Haven't decided on starter and desert yet but the main meal is the traditional. I'll post back when the decisions have been made, I may get the finger out....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We're big board game fans and play a lot throughout the year. If you're looking to play one at Christmas our favourites are Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne. It's worth trying them out.

We have monopoly but never use it, not when there are far far better games you can play!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ooh thanks for the suggestions Murdy! I personally love the game Articulate, doubly funny when everyone has a few drinks on board! We can't play Monopoly or it would end up in a big row!

Bought my adorable little three year old nephew a preschool boardgame of I-Spy for this festive season so he can get everyone involved in his little game too! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We're huge boardgamers too. At the moment we're having a Cluedo revival.

Would you believe I've never played Cluedo!

Monopoly's always been a firm favourite, from when I was a kid right til the present day (big kid). Don't play it often but when we take it out, it's always a great night.
    My old one was looking a bit tatty and the box was torn, with money missing and tokens missing, so I went out last month and bought a new one; the box is smaller which is handier.

Love Monopoly-can't wait to sit on the floor on Christmas evening, with a few glasses of red and beating my boyf! (beating him in the game, not literally)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Monopoly isn't one of my favourites, it can go on forever with mortgaging your properties, living in fear of landing on Ailesbury with a hotel on it etc. Of course it's a different story if you're winning.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Merkin wrote: »
    Ooh thanks for the suggestions Murdy! I personally love the game Articulate, doubly funny when everyone has a few drinks on board! We can't play Monopoly or it would end up in a big row!

Bought my adorable little three year old nephew a preschool boardgame of I-Spy for this festive season so he can get everyone involved in his little game too! :)

Articulate is brilliant. So funny with a few drinks on you!

Is it just me or has this month just flown by?
    I can't believe it's the 11th already!
    This time next week we'll only have a week to wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Monopoly isn't one of my favourites, it can go on forever with mortgaging your properties, living in fear of landing on Ailesbury with a hotel on it etc. Of course it's a different story if you're winning.... :D

I got a real shock the first time I played Monopoly with my OH, I had to give him 300 but only had 299 or something like that. I said "Ah sure just let me off the 1"... and he wouldn't! The fecker forced me into bankruptcy and then revelled in taking all my cards! *cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Love this thread!! :D

On Christmas Eve my dad will start boiling the hams in gallons of cider with loads of cloves, oranges and honey, and will roast the goose that evening, which is stuffed with potato stuffing! While we are at mass he preps all the veg and gets the hams out so when we get home we feast on ham and salads. Then I help granny stuff and sew the turkey and make dumplings. When all that is done, we head up to my cousins house to give the kids their presents which they are allowed open that night, and she gives me mine. We laze around watching something christmassy on the telly, drinking lots of booze and munching on various nibbles and cake, and help the kids with whatever we got them for Christmas! Then off home again and me
    and my brother are allowed open one present each.

Christmas morning I'm worse than a baby, I'm up at 6am and have everyone called to come see what Santa has brought (my mam still leaves the presents out after we go to bed even though we are both in our 20s!). Queue much ripping of paper and excitement, letting the cats have at their presents, then put on a DVD as one of us will always get one!

We usually have a fry for breakfast but last year we were too stuffed after so will probably just have something simple, boiled egg sangwitches or cereal. Then the first food coma of the day, pass out watching a DVD or whatever movie is on telly.

Around 1ish my mam will collect my granduncle from the nursing home and we will sit in the sitting room having chats and sing songs with a few hot whiskeys to wash it down. Then the main feast begins, a prawn and crab cocktail with Coleman's seafood sauce (can't be anything else!!) and some melon for the seafood haters. Then we sit around the table pulling crackers and drinking wine while my dad dishes up the main - turkey, ham, goose, boiled and roast spuds, the obligatory sprouts, carrots, parsnips (both roasted and mashed) cranberry sauce and lots of gravy. Oh and a nut roast for the veggie brother. When we are done we will have a round of mulled wine or Irish coffee and after an hour or 2 of chatting we break out my mams Christmas pud (she makes 9 every year for friends and family, people say she should charge for it because it's amazing!!)

Then the aul wans retire to the sitting room to watch the soaps, while myself and my brother go to our games room and play copious amounts of playstation, with lots of beer and Pringles to go with it. After the soaps are over, we light every candle in the sitting room, turn out the main lights and relax to the candle light, my uncle will come up and we have lots of wine, cheeses and various chutneys.

This Christmas will be a bit different as I have a sick cat so I won't be able to leave the house, but I'm sure everything else will be pretty much the same! We actually finished off the last of the Christmas pud from last year tonight. It was DIVINE! The amount of alcohol in it (Guinness, whiskey, brandy, puteen) just gets stronger with age and made it simply amazing :D

Advertisement