Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hyde Park gig is the same for them. I think they grossly overestimated ticket sales this year and picked venues that are too big. The fact that a load of tickets went on Groupon a while ago offering US dates for very little shows that it's not just Ireland that has the issue.

Having said that based on the previous gigs here I really thought it would sell out same day, and with a week off after it before their next gig, I really thought they would be announcing a second date and had the time to do it if demand was high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Any word on anymore support acts yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Xenji wrote: »
    Any word on anymore support acts yet?

I'm hoping for Ham Sandwich and Director.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't they buy the ads beforehand? I've heard ads for sold out gigs loads of times.
    well they'd all have to be bought beforehand, but if an event is looking like a sell-out, or very close, no promoter with any sense would have a big ad buy as they'd know that they're basically spending money they don't need to.
    only time i've heard ads for sold out gigs is within a day or 2 of the event selling out. presumably there's some sort of notice period for getting X amount of money back.

a crap-load of radio ads for this over the last month suggests it wasn't selling particularly well.

well they'd all have to be bought beforehand, but if an event is looking like a sell-out, or very close, no promoter with any sense would have a big ad buy as they'd know that they're basically spending money they don't need to.
    only time i've heard ads for sold out gigs is within a day or 2 of the event selling out. presumably there's some sort of notice period for getting X amount of money back.

a crap-load of radio ads for this over the last month suggests it wasn't selling particularly well.

Pretty sure I've heard sold out gigs still advertised. Maybe they withhold a batch to stop touts getting them and the ads are there for when the batch is released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Are they even going anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A non Irish act would be more preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Might need a time machine for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

There's a bit of saturation with the summer outdoor gigs, and it happens that a lot are on close to this one. These are all on within 3 weeks:
    Body&Soul
    Kanye West
    Arctic Monkeys
    Kings Of Leon
    The National
    Longitude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

There's a bit of saturation with the summer outdoor gigs, and it happens that a lot are on close to this one. These are all on within 3 weeks:
    Body&Soul
    Kanye West
    Arctic Monkeys
    Kings Of Leon
    The National
    Longitude

Not to mention the Kilmainham gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Not to mention the Kilmainham gigs.
    True, and they all have a fairly similar target audience

Means a better view for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

quite a few ads around for it, so probably isn't near selling out at the moment.

Yes, all because their new album is a turkey. Saw them a few weeks ago in Barcelona and was very disappointed, the new stuff was awful live. It is a very expensive day out when you ad in the shuttle bus and overpriced beer at the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

I would've thought it was selling well tbh.
    They've named no additional warm up bands, which normally happens when trying to generate more interest.

Having said that, i'm surprised that with one week to go, there's no word on the warm up acts.
    I know Pixies and Arcade Fire on their own would be great, but still thought there'd be another few (kinda like the Phoenix park set up, which this has replaced).

i heard somewhere that Lorde is supporting?

Peter File wrote: »
    Yes, all because their new album is a turkey.

I like it. Plus there's enough old stuff in the set. Good mix of all 4 albums. I presume you saw a festival set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

8-10 wrote: »
    I like it. Plus there's enough old stuff in the set. Good mix of all 4 albums. I presume you saw a festival set?

Yes, it was a festival set so hopefully the people in Dublin get a better performance than we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

sporina wrote: »
    i heard somewhere that Lorde is supporting?
    Lorde is supporting in London, that's where I presume the rumor of them supporting here comes from...

dinneenp wrote: »
    Lorde is supporting in London, that's where I presume the rumor of them supporting here comes from...

Lorde did support in London. She wasn't particularly good

8-10 wrote: »
    Lorde did support in London. She wasn't particularly good

Was Earl's Court good?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

With only 10 days to go, it's a bit worrisome that no other support bands have been announced. It seems most people online want to offload their tickets too!

With a high profile concert like this not yet selling out you'd imagine MCD would add some more decent bands to the line up! With a 3pm start time there will be at least 3 or maybe 4 more bands needed to fill the schedule.

I think I am in the minority by saying Reflektor is an absolute turkey, but with the strength of the Arcade Fire's first 2 albums I'm enticed to go along, and the Suburbs is a semi-decent third.

I guess I'm in the minority again by saying I actually liked the Pixies new album, and I ain't ever been the biggest fan.
    Ah well should be an interesting day out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

it's funny, but the main reason I am going is the latest album.
    I never cared much for their music but with the more electronic elements that Reflektor has, I got into them.

I have seen The Pixies twice before, I wasn't overly impressed by Indie Cindy, but their back catalogue is sufficient enough and even on a festival set of 60-70 minutes, they will play a good 20+ songs.

the lack of any additional bands announcements probably means that we are looking for someone local that can be booked/announced at the last minute.

Was Earl's Court good?

As a venue it was grand, nothing special just a HUGE arena. Preferred it to the O2 in London. Probably the last gigs ever played there before it gets demolished, it's been there since the 1930's!

The gigs themselves were super. Nice long setlists with good variety from the 4 albums as I mentioned previously. Only thing was it didn't vary much, probably because both gigs were being professionally recorded for what I presume will be a live DVD or something (do people still buy those?)

But because it was recorded it meant the band were pretty tight and giving it their all. Encore was a lot of fun. Was pretty exhausted by the end of it. The stage set up is very cool too, mirrored ceiling that adjusts throughout the show reflecting a white stage floor, and a second stage halfway down the crowd.

Will be interesting to see the difference between a massive packed arena like that to an open-air gig that's selling poorly. Not sure if they'll have the second stage in Marley either but that's no big loss. Just hoping for a good 20 song setlist with good energy on stage, which they nearly always bring anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Al70

Apparently 30,000 tickets are sold for this with a 40,000 capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Frankly, I don't care if it sells out or not. I have my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I don't think Marlay has ever even hinted at having a capacity of 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why do people give a sh*t if it sells out or not?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Why do people give a sh*t if it sells out or not?

I don't think it's about that, it's more a discussion around the fact that it seems to be selling poorly, ie that it appears on this tour that they miscalculated and are playing venues that are too big

I reckon a good Glasto appearance will sell a few extra on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

40,000 for marley park is too much anyway.....I hope it doesn't sell out. herself is small so we usually have to hang down the back so if if there is less of a crowd then we can be nearer the stage. RESULT :)

Bowlardo wrote: »
    40,000 for marley park is too much anyway.....I hope it doesn't sell out. herself is small so we usually have to hang down the back so if if there is less of a crowd then we can be nearer the stage. RESULT :)

I have precisely the same issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Music Scene Ireland
    Ham Sandwich and Tvvins have just been confirmed as the additional support acts for Arcade Fire live at Marlay Park in Dublin on June 29th! Don't forget that PIXIES will also be the main support act on the night! It's gonna be epic!

Advertisement