Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Deco99 wrote: »
    You're O sucks :-)

Yeah, maybe. Don't get me wrong, there were parts I enjoyed, but the sound didn't do them any favours... don't think it was loud enough.

Plus they seemed to come and go in terms of stage presence.

They are a fantastic group of songwriters / musicians, bit not necessarily fantastic performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I thought they put on a great show tbh. Opened with U2 Macnas heads singing where the streets have no name. Then halfway through, a Macnas pope benedict head tearing up a picture of sinead o Connor during nothing compares to you.

Eh...that was a photo of Miley Cyrus not Sinead O'Connor! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Yeah it was a good show but not the best. This is only my second time seeing them but I thought they suited the O2 better than Marlay Park. The sound was a bit iffy at first. I don't know if it was just where I was but the crowd weren't great, could have just been the people I was beside though. I also think a lot was lost with the majority of the gig being in brightness.

I was really happy with the setlist though. Was hoping they'd do Tunnels as they seem to be doing it on and off this tour, but was not expecting Crown of Love or Intervention at all, two of my favourites! Loved the little bit of Antichrist Television Blues at the end of Intervention too. One complaint was that they pulled Keep the Car Running but played fúcking Rococo. Still not the biggest fan of the new stuff but can't complain as I loved the rest of the setlist.

Pixies were very good too. I was with my boyfriend who was only there for them and he had a great time. Pity about the guitar dying just before Debaser but they played a great set up til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

8-10 wrote: »
    Eh...that was a photo of Miley Cyrus not Sinead O'Connor! :pac:
    It was a play on sineads snl performance where she tore up a photo of the Pope.
    You sure it was cyrus? Maybe it was an AF joke or something so.

Miley and Sinead have been having a feud back and forth last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Yup, it was Miley Cyrus. It was a reference to O'Connor tearing up the pope pic years ago, and then her more recent online argument with Miley Cyrus.

1st time seeing Arcade Fire; I enjoyed it, but maybe that might have been because I had no prior benchmark...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

4th time seeing them and thought it was a good show but not as good as the phoenix park gig, the sound for the Pixies was awful and do not get me started on the lack of late buses and taxis, took over two hours to get back to the hotel after the gig and passed throngs of concert goers still walking back at one in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Really enjoyed the gig Arcade Fire were great so were Ham Sandwich and Tvvins. Not really a Pixies fan so didn't really enjoy their set at all, was pretty happy when the guitar stopped working...

The Pixies played for 1h15mins, Frank Black has used the line his guitar died many times to end shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

i thought the new songs saved the set. we were close enough to the front but the crowd around me were awful throughout talking etc. but the new stuff seemed to capture more attention and get the crowd moving

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

"My guitar died"

Well, gee, it's not as if you have a whole slew of other guitars just off stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

I thought the venue was excellent with ample food choices and facilities.
    Thought AF were only OK- O2 gig and Phoneix park were a lot better- they did not seem to fully connect with the crowd- thought their set list was all over the place- I love this band but I have seen them play better many time previously- maybe they are tired after Glastonbury? Saying that I enjoyed it and would go to see them again.
    Pixies were shocking- sound was dreadful- we moved three times to see if we could get better sound- Frank Black appeared to be going through the motions- I will not go to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I don't get any of you. It was my first time seeing arcade fire and I was pretty much blown away. I'm a little bit in love with Regine and I found the encore and wake up especially to be an almost spiritual experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Just back from the show now. Arcade Fire put on a great show, thoroughly enjoyed it. Second time seeing them and they never disappoint. It was my first big gig not drinking as I decided I'd drive home afterwards. Thought my soberness was contributing to how bad I thought the Pixies were but the Arcade Fire show put that notion to bed cos I had a great time once they came on.

Pixies were very poor, Black looked like he really rather be somewhere else. Zero crowd interaction, correction, one interaction to tell the crowd his guitar died and they were stopping the show. Santiago must have used 5 different guitars during the show so to say they didn't have a spare was a load of bo$$ox. Can safely say I won't be going out of my way to see them again, would have got more enjoyment out of a Pixies tribute band, at least they might have put more heart into it.

Oh, and Ham Sandwich were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

Terrific day. Great atmosphere, weather was perfect. My second time seeing Arcade Fire, the slightest step down from the first but still really great. Think they lost the crowd a bit towards the end of the main set. Besides that I loved every second. Highlights for me were Tunnels, The Suburbs, Reflektor, the last couple mins of Here Comes The Night Time, and Wake Up of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

8-10 wrote: »
    I make this their 10th Irish gig? (AF)

ya so
    Picnic 2005
    Olympia after neon bible came out where tickets were going black market for silly money
    2 x phoenix park gigs
    1st Oxegen
    O2 after the suburbs came out
    Oxegen where no one came to watch and went to guetta or fatboy slim insted
    Picnic 2011
    Today

Thats 9 gigs am i missing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Arcade Fire were simply mesmerizing, certainly the best outdoor show I've been to for many years.

Pixies however need to get their sh1t together. A great set up until the point where Frank decided to lie about his guitar and p1ss off after 75 minutes. It should have been a 2 hour set and we were conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

lbj666 wrote: »
    ya so
    Picnic 2005
    Olympia after neon bible came out where tickets were going black market for silly money
    2 x phoenix park gigs
    1st Oxegen
    Picnic 2011
    Today

they played the o2 two nights that time

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Arcade Fire were simply mesmerizing, certainly the best outdoor show I've been to for many years.

Pixies however need to get their sh1t together. A great set up until the point where Frank decided to lie about his guitar and p1ss off after 75 minutes. It should have been a 2 hour set and we were conned.

I enjoyed the set, life long pixies fan, but the way they ended was a real wtf moment. I thought it was meant to be a joke and was expecting an encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Larbre34 wrote: »

Hi,

where did you read that the Pixies were to play two hours?

The schedule on display at the sound desk stated that the Pixies were going to be on from 6.30pm till 7.45pm.

They ended at 7.39pm, so perhaps they were meant to play maybe one more song?

Arcade Fire were scheduled to be on at 8.30. There would always be a changeover of at least 30 minutes for the next band so it seems unlikely that the Pixies had intended to play a full two hours.

I did consider it odd that there wouldn't be a spare guitar available, if something did genuinely go wrong.

Did anyone manage to see their setlist, to see if there was a song listed that was not played at the end?

lbj666 wrote: »
    ya so
    Picnic 2005
    2 x phoenix park gigs
    1st Oxegen
    Picnic 2011
    Today

You're missing 2 so it's actually 11! I forgot the second Oxegen

O2 and Olympia were 2 shows each

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was at the front for the pixies set and thought they were good.
    They never interact with the crowd so that was to be expected.

Joey's guitar string went after one song and they had a replacement guitar out to him in seconds so Frank's line about his guitar been broke sucked.

The sound was pretty terrible though.

I have seen the pixies a good few times over the years and their big outdoor gigs are never as good. Their gig at the Olympia earlier this year was perfect for them. You need to leave a pixies gig with your ears ringing. That was never going to happen yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Arrived just as Ham Sandwich started. I've seen them at festivals and they never disappoint live. You could see how much it meant to them and they look like a band that just really enjoying playing with each other.

I enjoyed the Pixies as I'm a huge fan and never saw them before but at the same time you could see they were going through the motions. Ending the set the way they did was pure bullsh1t. Shows all they care about is picking up cheques now

Arcade Fire were great. My girlfriend didnt know any of their stuff but was dancing like mad at the end of it. New album material is very good live. Can't wait to see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I thought it was a dissapointing gig, and that was down to the crowd rather then the performers. Most seemed to be there for a picnic and a beer and didn't seem to have any real interest in the bands at all.
    When the Pixies effectively gave up I thought, well I guess there isn't much of a Pixies crowd in this evening, but Arcade Fire also got a pretty apathetic response.
    I'm sure that some will disagree with me, but I'd also be willing to bet those people were in the thick of it down the front where there's always a bit of buzz. I was resonably close to 'the buzz' but had to move several times to get away from groups of people chatting and I noticed that even at the height of the gig there were still 20 minute queues for a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I had an amazing time tbh. I appreciate that the gig setup would work infinitely better indoors or at night, but it shouldn't take away from the performance. Thought the band were all very genuine and giving heartfelt performances, though Win looked fairly knackered about 2/3 through...

Some Suburbs tracks fell a bit flat, although I think We Used to Wait would have been a better choice than some. All the Reflektor were obviously awesome, It's Never Over and Here Comes The Night Time being big highlights for me.

AF suffer from playing some amazing historic gigs here over the years, so nothing else can match up. If Arctic Monkeys or Kings of Leon or whoever were to put in a gig of that quality, it'd be hailed as amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Crowd was terrible, no matter where we stood. It seems as if a lot of people just went there knowing the bare minimum of AF songs, and only wanted to say that they were there... which is fine, each to their own. It really puts a dampener on the mood as a whole though. Instead of people appreciating the music, they're talking through songs they don't recognise. It really is a shame from a genuine fans point of view.

That being said, once the sun went down, things picked up a whole lot and the AF encore was pretty special.

I wouldn't have liked to have been a woman queuing for those toilets at the end of the night, however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How did Ham Sandwich do on the big stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

AdMMM wrote: »
    Crowd was terrible, no matter where we stood. It seems as if a lot of people just went there knowing the bare minimum of AF songs, and only wanted to say that they were there... which is fine, each to their own. It really puts a dampener on the mood as a whole though. Instead of people appreciating the music, they're talking through songs they don't recognise. It really is a shame from a genuine fans point of view.

That being said, once the sun went down, things picked up a whole lot and the AF encore was pretty special.

I wouldn't have liked to have been a woman queuing for those toilets at the end of the night, however!

I'm glad it wasn't just me, I was beginning to wonder if I was simply turning into an old cumudgeon. The number of people that sat there nattering and drinking with Arcade Fire 'on in the background' like a largely ignored pub band was bizzare. I'll never know why peope bother to buy tickets for a gig they seem to have no interest in watching.

As for the queue for the ladies... I went for a slash after the Pixies finished and had the unique experience of queuing to get out of the loos! Thank God I've a mickey, I felt very sorry for the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

am pretty sure it was a Miley Cyrus picture too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

MAJJ wrote: »
    am pretty sure it was a Miley Cyrus picture too

It was Miley, also was it not a play on when Sinead ripped up a picture of the pope on the late late

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

From reading this it sounds like if you'd seen AF before it was just average but if you had never seen them before it was great

Advertisement