Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

lambayire wrote: »
    Port tunnel and M50???

That's mental. From the Customs House, that's going the completely wrong direction to Marlay Park.

Thought it was a bit mental myself when we got on the bus, but it didn't take long at all. We were there in no time it seemed and no hold ups at all along the way. Joined the queue at customs house about quarter to 6 and we were queuing less than 10 mins, were on a bus and gone by 6. After the gig went out the gate to the left of the stage followed the signs and had to queue for approx 5/10 mins to get back on bus. Thought the whole set up worked well myself, the bus back in was great craic aswell, serious sing along!

Thought AF were great aswell, really surprised by the new album stuff, didn't warm to it before but seeing it live did the trick!
    Overall, great evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I can't understand why people get completely tanked up for a gig like this. Nothing like a few beers at a gig but by God some lads took it to extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Oisin1001 wrote: »
    Where's the best pick-up spot for after the gig?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91046493&postcount=545

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I saw the queue at the bar on the left hand side of the stage go back down past the toilets at one point after the Pixies finished, must of been lucky though as never was more than 2 or 3 minutes waiting for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,916 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Xenji wrote: »
    I saw the queue at the bar on the left hand side of the stage go back down past the toilets at one point after the Pixies finished, must of been lucky though as never was more than 2 or 3 minutes waiting for a drink.
    Was in that queue - was the whole way back to the sign of the entrance for water / toilets - to be fair, it was very quick moving. Got in the queue about 8.05pm and was back down for chips by 8.20pm. Thought the bar was well run if I'm being honest - except people holding up the queue complaining about ID etc.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Was in that queue - was the whole way back to the sign of the entrance for water / toilets - to be fair, it was very quick moving. Got in the queue about 8.05pm and was back down for chips by 8.20pm. Thought the bar was well run if I'm being honest - except people holding up the queue complaining about ID etc.

Yeah it was grand, was a pain in the ass though when people just walked in past the security and completely ignored the queue, saw two people have their drink holders snap as well and the beer went everywhere, was a sad sight to behold all that wasted beer :pac:

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah it was grand, was a pain in the ass though when people just walked in past the security and completely ignored the queue, saw two people have their drink holders snap as well and the beer went everywhere, was a sad sight to behold all that wasted beer :pac:
    Yeah, especially at €6 a pint.

Grabbed 4 pints, and sat on the grass with my knees folded over them.

People can fall over me if they want but damned if they're wasting €24 worth of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rorymagory wrote: »
    I parked in dundrum shopping centre and got a 8euro cab to the venue, and same back again afterwards (although we left after an hour of AF, taxis everwhere before the road closed). Parking from 2pm to 10pm was 8euros, the car park is open all night.

I couldn't find any info about a carpark for concert-goers although I didn't exactly look very hard. Another poster above said there is a concert carpark.

And it took nearly an hour to exit the car park, about 55mins I think I was. Very very irritating. Wrecked in work this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

rickyjb wrote: »
    Ssshhh, don't be telling people... ;)

A fellow Capri Sun enthusiast ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

It wasn't great really. Pixies were rubbish.

I think I'm getting too old for all these pop concerts :(

One couple had a very young child with them. Buggy and all with the Alan from the Hangover frontal pouch. The baby had ear muffs but still, who brings a baby to a concert, wtf :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jovetic wrote: »
    One couple had a very young child with them. Buggy and all with the Alan from the Hangover frontal pouch. The baby had ear muffs but still, who brings a baby to a concert, wtf :confused:

Long day for a little one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seen a good few toddlers at EP last year. Absolutely mental in my eyes bringing kids to these, nevermind toddlers or babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

fab eve!! OMG the sun set the scene.. as did the pints in the bernard shaw before hand..at -

the crowd was great - so chilled out.. no problem with loo's or beer queue's = was sooo well organised...

pixes were fab - btw how long did they play for ? - didn't note..
    not a hugh arcade fire fan - enjoyed the tunes but would have been better indoors for sure.

a late night ensued after the gig…

on a buzz all day today,..

sporina wrote: »
    pixes were fab - btw how long did they play for ? - didn't note..
    1 hour, 20 minutes.. came on a little early at 6.20pm and finished at 7.40pm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I thought it was a great gig and def looked and felt better then the Glastonbury show imo . Now might have been different if i had been there on friday too but just what BBC showed i felt last night was better and the band seemed happier and enjoying themselves .

Only arrived when Pixies were playing Here Comes Your Man , wasnt really there to see them so. The whole my guitar broke is silly tbh as people have said he could have easily got another one since all guitarists in bands would have a spare one. A friend of mine said she didnt really enjoy the Pixies as she just felt they were there just to be there etc

AF were brilliant , opening with one of my favourites off the new album Normal person was perfect. Would have loved Keep The Car Running but suppose cant have everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

rorymagory wrote: »
    although we left after an hour of AF, taxis everwhere before the road closed).
    Why would you go to a gig and leave after an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Really enjoyed the gig - my first time seeing both bands. Just saw Pixies and Arcade Fire and I really enjoyed both. I know there's differing opinions on Pixies, but tbh I thought they were great. I don't really care about crowd interaction etc. I was with a group of people who were into them and that helped the atmosphere, cause most of the crowd around us didn't seem one bit interested in them. Doolittle is one of my favourite albums of all time, and it was great to hear so many songs from it (including my faves Gouge Away and Wave of Mutilation). Velouria and Here Comes Your Man were great too.

Arcade Fire were fantastic. Highlights were Power Out, Intervention, Sprawl 2, Reflektor and of course Wake Up. And the Nothing Compares 2 U bit obviously. We found it okay to get home. Walked out to the M50 roundabout and we all got taxis from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

dinneenp wrote: »
    Why would you go to a gig and leave after an hour?

I left 30 mins in to the arcade fire set. Reason is because I went to see the Pixies and don't particulary like Arcade fire. No point staying to watch a band I don't like.

I left 30 mins in to the arcade fire set. Reason is because I went to see the Pixies and don't particulary like Arcade fire. No point staying to watch a band I don't like.

Did the same the last time I was in Marley, just went to see Silversun Pickups and Nine Inch Nails, left a bit into the Foo Fighters as they have always annoyed me live.

€60 for an hour or so set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

€60 for an hour or so set?

40 for me, got a cheapie on adverts. Live beside the park so no food or transportation costs.

Just remembered the brief bit of Irish. Anybody remember what was said?

Was a little chuffed that they do seem to actually know and acknowledge what city they're playing to, more than a lot of other bands who don't stretch themselves beyond "IT'S ALWAYS GREAT TO PLAY HERE IN CITY X!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was a little chuffed that they do seem to actually know and acknowledge what city they're playing to, more than a lot of other bands who don't stretch themselves beyond "IT'S ALWAYS GREAT TO PLAY HERE IN CITY X!"

I remember hearing 'Cailini agus buachailli'. I said to my brother after hearing about 5 lines of Irish 'He'd be able for ordinary level Leaving Cert' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jovetic wrote: »

Parents who enjoy spending time with their child and sharing their life experiences together? Shocking!

Tbh, if the rules hadn't specified no under 5s I'd have been extremely tempted to bring my 1 year old. He'd have had an absolute ball at it and he rocked out big time when we watched AF at Glastonbury on TV. He loves music, crowds, parks and dancing. It would have been a great day out for him. A very different gig for us as it would have meant hanging back far from the stage and the crowds and a lot more work than a couple of texts during the evening to his babysitter. But it would just have been a different kind of fantastic and I'll definitely be making sure he gets a chance to go to a couple of big festivals in the next few years.

Just saw people say they paid 15 quid for the Marathon return ticket. Raised an eyebrow - I was only charged 10. Was that a generous error on their part, or did they realise people would pay more the closer it got to showtime...?

Just saw people say they paid 15 quid for the Marathon return ticket. Raised an eyebrow - I was only charged 10. Was that a generous error on their part, or did they realise people would pay more the closer it got to showtime...?
    Was only charged €10 myself.. am sure they quoted that price online so I'd be surprised if it increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

The mirror man starts talking at about 1:10

Basq wrote: »
    Was only charged €10 myself.. am sure they quoted that price online so I'd be surprised if it increased.

I think if you booked it before a certain time it was €10 then goes up after that

Found the easiest way to get to Marley has always been getting the Luas to Balally and walking the rest of the way, only takes about a half an hour and its very hard to get lost if you follow the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Well holy god!!! I cant remember an outdoor gig i did enjoy as much for years.

Great set up. Getting there and from was a pain but met so many people and had a great laugh with them, specially on the way back out.

I wasn't looking forward to the gig too much due to the fact i had a late night Saturday and the weather was supposed to be minty, but i was buzzing yesterday and had Reflector playing loudly. Appreciate that album more now.

Great to see the Pixies too.

Advertisement