Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had a great time on Sunday - have been a huge AF fan for years but, despite them playing in Ireland loads, this was my first time seeing them live.

Got to Marley Park just as Ham Sandwich were finishing up, enjoyed the Pixies set - wasn't overly familiar with a lot of their stuff (apart from the the Best Of album :o ) but thought they were pretty decent. BTW, would be grateful if anyone could let me know the name of the song that the drummer sang? and the name of the woman in the band (I'm assuming in wasn't Kim Deal?)

Was a bit wary what AF would be like tbh after seeing their Glastonbury performance (on TV) - thought it came across as very frenzied and forced. They seemed a lot more chilled out in Dublin which suited them better imho. Enjoyed their set big time - wasn't anywhere remotely near the front so was soaking it up in comfort back on the hill a bit.

Thought the setlist was a nice blend of the old and new stuff (although one or two more Neon Bible tracks would have been nice) - Reflektor was a particular highlight for me but hard to find fault with any of the song choices imho, even if the pace did sag slightly in the middle third. My non-AF fanatic missus was a bit 'meh' at some points but enjoyed it overall.

Not sure if I'd be rushing back to Marley Park anytime soon...bit of a pain in the h0le getting there and back but would depend on the act I guess. Kanye and Pharrell could be a real car crash there I'd say.

Anyway, had a great day overall and looking forward to see what/where/how AF do next

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cartman78 wrote: »
    BTW, would be grateful if anyone could let me know the name of the song that the drummer sang? and the name of the woman in the band (I'm assuming in wasn't Kim Deal?)

Drummer sang La La Love You and internet tells me bassist was Paz Lenchantin, open to correction.

I really enjoyed Pixies, more so than AF. More I think about it the more I disliked their set. A real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Only song I would have likes from AF that they didn't play would probably My Body Is A Cage. Bit bitter about the Pixies set that they didn't play Debaser and played a lot of the new stuff but, ah well , it was great to see them all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Probably because most people went out the way they came in if they wanted to get back to where they started. The main entrance adjacent to the manor house was very clearly available for use as an exit.

It's not as if knowing what I know now I wouldn't do that. But so no one makes my mistakes which a lot of people did I wanted to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Great Gig. Arcade fire were amazing. I was worried after seeing them at Glastonbury. They looked amazing there and it seemed like an energy zapping performance. Thankfully it didn’t seem to affect them for Dublin. They really give it everything. They seem like really decent, humble people.
    It’s a pity they came on so early. It would have been better playing as it got dark. I’ve seen them at a few festivals now. I’d love to see them in the O2.
    The pixies were ok. They sounded good. Bit of a sh!t ending. They must have been tired after Glastonbury on Saturday.

I loved Ham Sandwich. Their music is perfect sunny summer music.
    Overall it was a well organised show. There could have been more toilets though. The men’s were ok but the queues for the ladies looked horrendous.

I saw that couple with the baby. Fair play to them. The child was well covered up and had ear muffs. Also the weather was good and there was never a chance of scumbags at a gig like that. So why not! If I had a kid I’d like to bring to gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Only song I would have likes from AF that they didn't play would probably My Body Is A Cage. Bit bitter about the Pixies set that they didn't play Debaser and played a lot of the new stuff but, ah well , it was great to see them all the same!

Don't be bitter, The Pixies played only 4 songs from their new album, of a 22 song long set. Not bad going at all for a more a less supporting band!

Debasser was been played next, Paz started the Bass riff, but Frank cut it and announced "My Guitar is After Dying, I'm Gonna Take That As a Sign", They then took their bows after a pretty impressive show in my opinion!

It makes it a bit worse thinking about what was probably left to play, "Debasser, Monkey's Gone to Heaven, Alec Eiffel, Bone Machine"

Ah well I'm sure they will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Have to say that apart from the ending I loved Pixies.

Arcade Fire though...first time seeing them and I wasn't disappointed. I happen to really like Reflektor and I think that the new songs sound even better live. They look like they really enjoy themselves up there.

Bloody hell, Ready to Start is some whopper of a song live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Frank obviously only had one guitar. A disappointing end to a decent set I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bateman wrote: »
    Frank obviously only had one guitar. A disappointing end to a decent set I thought.

What professional musician only has one guitar? It was a BS excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bateman wrote: »

There is possibly nowhere in the world with a higher concentration of spare guitars than an Arcade Fire stage, and that's even excluding the rest of their own guitars visible within his arms length.

He was either blatantly fibbing or just couldn't be arsed to make even the minimal effort it would have taken to close out the show. Either way, that's the kind of bollockology that hasn't been cool since the '90s, which made the perfect crown to such a phoned in set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

There is possibly nowhere in the world with a higher concentration of spare guitars than an Arcade Fire stage, and that's even excluding the rest of their own guitars visible within his arms length.

He was either blatantly fibbing or just couldn't be arsed to make even the minimal effort it would have taken to close out the show. Either way, that's the kind of bollockology that hasn't been cool since the '90s, which made the perfect crown to such a phoned in set.

Their time was up, I saw the roadie signal to him at 7:30 that they had 10 mins left. They didn't have time to change guitar, retune etc and play the song. He called it, sh1t happens don't let it spoil your enjoyment of great show. You missed one song out of 23 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Whats the condition of Marlay Park like now, ground wise?

Will I need wellies for KOL?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wasn't very mucky at all on the way out.

Ground was perfect, rock solid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea there will be no need for wellies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Catmologen wrote: »
    Their time was up, I saw the roadie signal to him at 7:30 that they had 10 mins left. They didn't have time to change guitar, retune etc and play the song. He called it, sh1t happens don't let it spoil your enjoyment of great show. You missed one song out of 23 ffs.
    My brother was at the front. He confirmed this explanation.

Catmologen wrote: »

I think the overall lack of enjoyment was what spoiled my enjoyment of the Pixies set.

I'd heard the time thing, which just makes it more likely the guitar stuff was a fib in the first place. Like I said in my post though, that was just the icing on the cake of a set which, imho, was phoned in from space.

I think a problem with Pixies set last Sunday is a fair proportion of the crowd are really only familiar with the radio friendly hits...I'm looking at you Where is my Mind and Here Comes Your Man. Look at the crowd reactions for both. Lots of people not paying attention where we were, it's fair annoying when lads in front of you are looking back at you talking to their friends, it gets hard to avoid them catching your eye. One drunk lad in his early 40s right in front of me took the biscuit spilling drink on everyone.

Also we had the distraction of 4 young guys smoking joints and blowing their smoke in our faces. I don't mind people getting up to whatever as long as it doesn't really annoy others at a gig. Would it have been rude if I asked them to p!ss off someplace else? One of them actually took a turn and collapsed 10 minutes into Pixies set, he had to be carted off by his friends.

With regards crowd interaction, personally I couldn't care less whether they chat to the crowd, I thought David was having a blast, especially during La La Love you.

Would love to see them indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bassjacker

We took our time at the end and got some food from one of the vans. We went to go out the exit to the left of the stage but when we got there it was closed. We ended up going out the exit at the back and got the Dublin bus into town. We are going to Arctic Monkeys in a few weeks again and was wondering what people think would be the best way to get home, knowing what we know now. Dublin bus or Marathon travel? We had booked the Marathon travel bus back but never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bassjacker wrote: »
    We took our time at the end and got some food from one of the vans. We went to go out the exit to the left of the stage but when we got there it was closed. We ended up going out the exit at the back and got the Dublin bus into town. We are going to Arctic Monkeys in a few weeks again and was wondering what people think would be the best way to get home, knowing what we know now. Dublin bus or Marathon travel? We had booked the Marathon travel bus back but never used it.

I think Marathon give a guarantee that if you prebook a ticket they'll get you back into town.

The biggest problem is people not being prepared. Just check all the exits and drop off/pickup points beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had no idea that was Paz Lenchantin on bass for Pixies, used to have an awful crush on her when she was in A Perfect Circle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think a problem with Pixies set last Sunday is a fair proportion of the crowd are really only familiar with the radio friendly hits...I'm looking at you Where is my Mind and Here Comes Your Man. Look at the crowd reactions for both. Lots of people not paying attention where we were, it's fair annoying when lads in front of you are looking back at you talking to their friends, it gets hard to avoid them catching your eye. One drunk lad in his early 40s right in front of me took the biscuit spilling drink on everyone.

Also we had the distraction of 4 young guys smoking joints and blowing their smoke in our faces. I don't mind people getting up to whatever as long as it doesn't really annoy others at a gig. Would it have been rude if I asked them to p!ss off someplace else? One of them actually took a turn and collapsed 10 minutes into Pixies set, he had to be carted off by his friends.

With regards crowd interaction, personally I couldn't care less whether they chat to the crowd, I thought David was having a blast, especially during La La Love you.

Would love to see them indoors.

Fair enough but the Pixies were only the support act on the day so they cant expect everyone to know every Pixies song . Like at a festival its the bands duty to try and gain new fans not just have this "Oh they dont no our songs lets just phone it in or not give it our best".

Marathon were fine to use so long as you knew where they were picked up and left through the exit convenient to it. If you didn't know yourself where they were though, that's where the problem was because staff didn't know, it wasn't well signed, and wasn't obvious from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I had a great time. Loved hearing Indy Cindy and Intervention live! First time to see Arcade Fire. Missed them at EP a few years ago and was delighted to see them live.

I thought it was well organised, apart from the bus situation on the way out - Tried that Marathon service and they said at 4pm that you'd be waiting an hour on a bus. We hopped in a cab, had one in the Eden, then headed in.

Queues for the ladies toilets were grand compared to some of the gigs I've been at (Bruce springsteen, Eden park - I'm looking at you!); the queue for the bar was quick and at least we weren't stuck with a choice of bud or piss creek wine and the staff/ security were all really friendly. Got a cab back home to town for 11pm.

Yeah the crowd could have been better - There was a hint of a prosecco picnic brigade at it but I had my fun and that's all that matters ;)

Lovely setting with the trees and mountains as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

It was my second time seeing AF, first time was back in 2006 at the Olympia, unforgettable gig. This time they didn't disappoint. Amazing show, they put so much effort into it.

I couldn't enjoy the first half of the gig, because people just kept waffling really loud, I could not hear the music properly i swear! Thankfully, people shut up halfway through it and started getting really into it. It was like a massive party, it was great.

I didnt get to enjoy the Pixies much for the same reason. It was in plain daylight and people around me talking about their weekends, seriously! I think Pixies werent impressed with the crowd at all. I would also love to see them indoors.

We also took the Luas to Dundrum and walked from there, following other festival-goers :D no hassle at all on the way in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

beatrice33 wrote: »
    It was my second time seeing AF, first time was back in 2006 at the Olympia, unforgettable gig.

...But forgettable year, that would have been 2007 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bassjacker

Marathon were fine to use so long as you knew where they were picked up and left through the exit convenient to it. If you didn't know yourself where they were though, that's where the problem was because staff didn't know, it wasn't well signed, and wasn't obvious from the road.[/quote

So to get the Marathon bus back do you go out the exit to the left of the stage and follow the signs for bus pick up.
    Or is there another exit at the right hand side half way back where the entrance was. If I know I'll be ready the next time by being close to the exit at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Marathon were fine to use so long as you knew where they were picked up and left through the exit convenient to it. If you didn't know yourself where they were though, that's where the problem was because staff didn't know, it wasn't well signed, and wasn't obvious from the road.

Not being smart or anything but it came up on the screens as soon as the show finished with arrows pointing to which gates to use for the shuttle buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Marathon were fine to use so long as you knew where they were picked up and left through the exit convenient to it. If you didn't know yourself where they were though, that's where the problem was because staff didn't know, it wasn't well signed, and wasn't obvious from the road.[/quote

So to get the Marathon bus back do you go out the exit to the left of the stage and follow the signs for bus pick up.
    Or is there another exit at the right hand side half way back where the entrance was. If I know I'll be ready the next time by being close to the exit at the end.

When we arrived we went in through the entrance half way down the right side, but after the show the signs pointed to the exit to the left of the stage so we got back to the buses that way. I presume they didn't have security etc. on that gate so it was only used for exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Saw the Pixies at Brixton Academy in 2004. They were supporting the Chilli Peppers in Phoenix Park that year and we thought, sod that, as we guessed all the issues that we experienced on Sunday would spoil the show. It was nearly as cheap to go to London too as the tickets were only about £25. So glad we did it, seeing them headline in a venue with less than 5000 capacity who all loved them was a completely different experience.

Advertisement