Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - Marlay Park, June 2014!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    Not being smart or anything but it came up on the screens as soon as the show finished with arrows pointing to which gates to use for the shuttle buses.

Didn't those arrows point out the left hand exit though?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Didn't those arrows point out the left hand exit though?

Ya they did. It looped round behind the stage I'm presuming and brought us back to the same car park / bus area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think a problem with Pixies set last Sunday is a fair proportion of the crowd are really only familiar with the radio friendly hits...I'm looking at you Where is my Mind and Here Comes Your Man. Look at the crowd reactions for both. Lots of people not paying attention where we were, it's fair annoying when lads in front of you are looking back at you talking to their friends, it gets hard to avoid them catching your eye. One drunk lad in his early 40s right in front of me took the biscuit spilling drink on everyone.

Also we had the distraction of 4 young guys smoking joints and blowing their smoke in our faces. I don't mind people getting up to whatever as long as it doesn't really annoy others at a gig. Would it have been rude if I asked them to p!ss off someplace else? One of them actually took a turn and collapsed 10 minutes into Pixies set, he had to be carted off by his friends.

With regards crowd interaction, personally I couldn't care less whether they chat to the crowd, I thought David was having a blast, especially during La La Love you.

Would love to see them indoors.

ya, one of my friends was one of those who only knew those two songs. Where as I am a huge Pixies fan, and Sunday was way different to the gig in the Olympia a few months back. I was a good bit back and when they started Here Comes Your Man, Frank Black just had a face on him that said 'oh so you know this one, but can't be arsed listening to the rest of the set' He was just going through the motions on that one. Most of the people around me were just chatting through the Pixies set, it was just background noise to them.

I enjoyed the set but prefer the smaller gigs where everyone is there because they like the Pixies. They are around a long time, and while people are aware of them, they don't get a lot of mainstream radio airplay aside from HCYM. So most people don't know the first thing about them, which must be frustrating for them when they play gigs like Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just out of interest, has the layout of the Marlay Park gigs changed from when they first started having gigs there?

I was there for Morrissey years ago and I seem to remember the stage being to the left of Marlay House?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Ya they did. It looped round behind the stage I'm presuming and brought us back to the same car park / bus area.

It didn't loop behind the stage it went off far to the left and brought you out by the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just out of interest, has the layout of the Marlay Park gigs changed from when they first started having gigs there?

I was there for Morrissey years ago and I seem to remember the stage being to the left of Marlay House?

The stage was the other end of the park , There was a beer tent and food etc up that end face the house

Yarghhh wrote: »
    It didn't loop behind the stage it went off far to the left and brought you out by the M50.

The exit just to the left of the stage.

There must've been two options once you go out the gate, because me and the couple of thousand around me all got back to the buses without any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

ya, one of my friends was one of those who only knew those two songs. Where as I am a huge Pixies fan, and Sunday was way different to the gig in the Olympia a few months back. I was a good bit back and when they started Here Comes Your Man, Frank Black just had a face on him that said 'oh so you know this one, but can't be arsed listening to the rest of the set' He was just going through the motions on that one. Most of the people around me were just chatting through the Pixies set, it was just background noise to them.

I enjoyed the set but prefer the smaller gigs where everyone is there because they like the Pixies. They are around a long time, and while people are aware of them, they don't get a lot of mainstream radio airplay aside from HCYM. So most people don't know the first thing about them, which must be frustrating for them when they play gigs like Sunday.

Anybody complaining about the Pixies have clearly never been to a Pixies gig, they barely speak to each other let alone go in for all that, Hello!.... (checks back of guitar) Springfield! plamasing of the crowd. They were frankly as good as I've ever seen them.
    It was sad to see a band with such a great catalogue, and a sound that you could easily argue is the inspiration for Nirvana's sound , receive such an apathetic welcome from a crowd, especially given that Ireland has always had such a good reputation for respecting artists.
    Needless to say the venue didn't really suit, and neither did the 'out for the day mini-festival crowd'.
    I know a guy that went to see Jack White (usually a musician with a terribly boring stage presence) in Kilmainham in the lashing ran two weeks ago and he told me the gig was amazing, largely because a couple of thousand people that had bought tickets didn't bother turn up thanks to the awful conditions so the audience was made up of people that REALLY wanted to be there. The crowd gave their love, and it was by all accounts returned in spades, they had to litterlly pull the plug on him in the end. It was no surprise Frank pulled the plug himself, I would if all my audience were interested in was taking selfies and talking amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The exit just to the left of the stage.

There must've been two options once you go out the gate, because me and the couple of thousand around me all got back to the buses without any bother.

Felt bad for the other couple of thousand I past on the way back in a taxi around 01.00 still walking back from the gig, Joe Duffy was inundated with complaints on Monday about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

conorhal wrote: »
    Anybody complaining about the Pixies have clearly never been to a Pixies gig, they barely speak to each other let alone go in for all that, Hello!.... (checks back of guitar) Springfield! plamasing of the crowd. They were frankly as good as I've ever seen them.
    It was sad to see a band with such a great catalogue, and a sound that you could easily argue are the inspiration for Nirvana's sound , receive such an apathetic welcome from a crowd, especially given that Ireland has always had such a good reputation for respecting artists.
    Needless to say the venue didn't really suit, and neither did the 'out for the day mini-festival crowd'.
    I know a guy that went to see Jack White (usually a musician with a terribly boring state presence) in Kilmainham in the lashing ran two weeks ago and he told me the gig was amazing, largely because a couple of thousand people that had bought tickets didn't bother turn up thanks to the awful conditions so the audience was made up of people the REALLY wanted to be there.

Which is another reason why Arcade Fire were better at venues like The Olympia, when everybody was really into the music and none of the drinking-to-excess or talking through songs we saw on Sunday. Even a massive indoor arena is better than the Marlay Park setup. Wonder if Hyde Park will have similar issues this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

8-10 wrote: »
    Which is another reason why Arcade Fire were better at venues like The Olympia, when everybody was really into the music and none of the drinking-to-excess or talking through songs we saw on Sunday. Even a massive indoor arena is better than the Marlay Park setup. Wonder if Hyde Park will have similar issues this week?

Probably, it's become endemic, I didn't think that the crowd was all that engaged by Arcade Fire until the encore. Personally I think I'm giving up on outdoor gigs the same way I've given up on going to the Cinema, too many people nattering and updating their facebook status with selfies at a great gig that they are missing and also drinking themselves insensible. I've seen the Pixies at the Olympia twice, the best gig being the 20th anniversary of Dolittle, I did't stop smiling and my ears didn't stop ringing for two days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Probably, it's become endemic, I didn't think that the crowd was all that engaged by Arcade Fire until the encore. Personally I think I'm giving up on outdoor gigs the same way I've given up on going to the Cinema, too many people nattering and updating their facebook status with selfies at a great gig that they are missing and also drinking themselves insensible. I've seen the Pixies at the Olympia twice, the best gig being the 20th anniversary of Dolittle, I did't stop smiling and my ears didn't stop ringing for two days :pac:

ya I was at the Doolittle Olympia gig as well and was literally bouncing for the rest of the night after it. The atmosphere was electric. Sunday was a completely different kettle of fish though.

It's the same with a lot of concerts now, people have more disposable income that 10-15 years ago, have phones, internet, so the gig is only the background to their night out, they might as well be in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Xenji wrote: »
    Felt bad for the other couple of thousand I past on the way back in a taxi around 01.00 still walking back from the gig, Joe Duffy was inundated with complaints on Monday about it.

Joe Duffy?! Arcade Fire have arrived!:)

Xenji wrote: »

I didn't, cause id read the press release, knew the transport options and planned around them and followed the signs at the gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How strict are they on bringing in water say a 2 litre or 2 small bottles

I didn't, cause id read the press release, planned around it and followed the signs at the gig.

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Had no idea that was Paz Lenchantin on bass for Pixies, used to have an awful crush on her when she was in A Perfect Circle.

Likewise. No idea and the crush thing too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

sasta le wrote: »
    How strict are they on bringing in water say a 2 litre or 2 small bottles

Sealed bottles of water less than 500ml are allowed in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Sealed bottles of water less than 500ml are allowed in.

sealed yeah?but do they take caps then

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I had a spare cap stashed but they didn't take the one from my sealed bottle. Might have just been a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

My first time seeing Arcade Fire, having been a fan for a few years. They were unreal :) Really enjoyed the whole night! They were incredible live and interacted with the crowd pretty well (they seemed very sincere and really appreciated the fact it was a big gig). I was very happy with the setlist too - only two songs I would have liked were Keep the car running and My Body is a Cage. Highlights for me were Normal Person (suprisingly, great opener!), No Cars Go and of course, Wake Up :)!

Thought Marlay Park was a really nice venue. Got the bus from Custom House for 10euro return. Left at 7, was there at 7.40ish. Bit long but, meh. Coming home, we took the left exit behind the stage straight after the gig and only took us 5 minutes to get out to the bus. Waited for about 5 minutes and was on the bus home. So we had no problems in regards the buses, maybe got there at a good time.

All in all, a great memorable night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Funny but cool having 35,000 people singing WOO OOO OOO OOO together....
    for Pixies songs, Where Is My Mind and a few Arcade Fire songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the woman singing was terrible :S

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

dinneenp wrote: »
    Funny but cool having 35,000 people singing...

Has there been any official number released? Before your post, I'd read elsewhere 20k and 30k attendance.

Has there been any official number released? Before your post, I'd read elsewhere 20k and 30k attendance.

A friend of mine was doing freelance media work for the gig and was told they had over 30k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Someone said 33k earlier in the thread. Probably about right. One of the biggest AF crowds I've seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Yeah the largest crowd I've seen in Marlay Park, also larger than Longitude which I think was only 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Have to say that Dolittle gig for me wasnt great, cant remember which night but the crowd didnt seem to be too into it, Sunday on the other hand was amazing - I really think how a gig goes for you is based on where you are standing and who the crowd in your immediate area are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Have to say that Dolittle gig for me wasnt great, cant remember which night but the crowd didnt seem to be too into it, Sunday on the other hand was amazing - I really think how a gig goes for you is based on where you are standing and who the crowd in your immediate area are.

Yeah where I was it was obviously just a bunch of people who were there for Arcade Fire alone which really brought down the mood for those of us there to see the Pixies as well, I didn't let it get me down all the same :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

is there need for wellies or old shoes or is the ground still ok??

Advertisement