Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about getting an allotment to grow our own vegetables in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 06-12-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

All the information is so unclear or totally outdated on this subject. My boyfriend and I were hoping to organise an allotment by early spring to grow herbs, fruit and vegetables on.

We have access to a greenhouse at his sister's place, but it's just too far away from us to be able to keep it going (although we got lots of great chillis and cucumbers, tomatoes and a number of courgettes including one that was about half a metre long!) so we were hoping to get a spot closeby where we live in Dun Laoghaire.

Is it possible to ask the council for land that is disused? There is a green nearby that is only used by dog owners and seems to be nothing else that could be good for an allotment or two. I assume beaurocracy would make this kind of thing difficult. Are we better off going around to ask private owners for use of their land? There's a retirement home up the street we were thinking of asking.

There is also some premises of the HSE on quite a large plot of land down the street. Do you think they would budge on giving up some of it for gardening?

Any help on this would be fantastic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I very much doubt you would get anywhere asking state organs for land to use.
    Your best bet is to try for a plot at an established allotment complex but there can be long waiting lists. Some are privately run, others by county councils ...

http://www.allotments.ie/?cat=353

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75459432

You could approach people with land of their own and try to come to some sort of arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 miranda247

Thanks for the info. I would absolutely get on board with one of the sanctioned allotments, but they are just too far away and all I have is a bicycle! I think I'm just going to have to ask about a load of back gardens in my neighbourhood...

Also, I saw that other thread, but it's from 2011 so I figure stuff has probably changed (i.e. waiting lists are even LONGER).

Are you in an apartment? Do you have any land at all? Ave you looked into container growing?

Our apartment is tiny and can barely fit us! But I've managed a small herb garden and plan on getting some hot peppers going... but that's really all the space available.

Understood. If you have a balcony you can use the space well by doing some vertical gardening. Have a google :)

• Advertisement

No balcony either! But there's ledge, so I've got some planters out on the sill!

Advertisement