Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English - How can I get myself out of the habit of summarisng?!

• 06-12-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on how to answer questions without summarising. I got a test we did recently back a few days ago and I got a dreadful mark because I summarised a lot. (I did include personal response for most of the question though) My teacher told me I could get a really high mark but summarising is my downfall and also I needed to elaborate on what I was saying in my points. Thing is, I can't seem to get myself out of this habbit! I asked my teacher would they advice I did ordinary level but they responded absolutely not. English is actually my favourite subject however I know if I give a summary of of a play/novel in my exam I will get absolutely penalised and rightly so! I have my mocks very soon so I'd really like to work on this! Thanks(in advance) :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You know your problem, which is a good start; now you need to work on it.

Take past questions from exam papers and make a plan (using bullet points) for how you would answer each. What points are relevant to actually answer the question? Perhaps note a couple of quotations / references which back up your point opposite each.

Do out a couple of them as full essay answers based on the plan for that queston.

You will get into the habit of zoning in on the *relevant* points to answer the question, and of making a quick plan for each question.

Usually the reason people end up giving a summary of the play / book / whatever in an exam is because they dive straight in and end up doing a summary / "what I know about X" type answer. These type of answers will not generally attract good marks.

If you practice and get used to doing it, you will find that you can do a plan for each answer in literally 3 minutes each ... and that it's time which pays for itself many times over. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on how to answer questions without summarising. I got a test we did recently back a few days ago and I got a dreadful mark because I summarised a lot. (I did include personal response for most of the question though) My teacher told me I could get a really high mark but summarising is my downfall and also I needed to elaborate on what I was saying in my points. Thing is, I can't seem to get myself out of this habbit! I asked my teacher would they advice I did ordinary level but they responded absolutely not. English is actually my favourite subject however I know if I give a summary of of a play/novel in my exam I will get absolutely penalised and rightly so! I have my mocks very soon so I'd really like to work on this! Thanks(in advance) :)

Great summary of your situation.

I had the same issue - as do most. For many, though, it's a case of having nothing else to say! But, assuming you're a good English student, what I did was imagined I was writing for one who had just read the text. In that instance, it's only appropriate to give prompts as to where, in the text, your analysis applies. If you stamp out summary-syndrome, you'll be amazed by just how much more quality you'll end up writing - because, in essence, that's the issue: NO marks are received for summary! Hope that helps. :)

Edit: by just, I meant having finished it at that instant!!

I think that if you can just continuously think to yourself throughout the essay; "how?" I used to have the same problem in that I would make my statement and then give my evidence/key scene/quote etc. and then I would think that's how I would get marks. It's not. When you're giving your evidence, assume that the author knows it all. What you then have to write is your personal justification for believing that it is evidence. So don't describe the scene/moment, explain why this scene that you have mentioned is vital to your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

State a point. Use a few sentences to back up that point. Keep doing this.
    Answering poetry questions does require a degree of summarising anyway but just make sure your summarising is relevant to the essay if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks for all the replies guys! Real helpful :D I am just wondering how many marks are allocated for paper 1 and paper 2(the single text,comparative,prescribed poetry) Also,how much should I be writing?I was thinking 4 pages for single text and my teacher advices 5-6ish pages for comparative. Thing is,I have very big writing and I find that I when I write an excessive amount I start to waffle and run out of fresh points to make :/

• Advertisement

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Real helpful :D I am just wondering how many marks are allocated for paper 1 and paper 2(the single text,comparative,prescribed poetry) Also,how much should I be writing?I was thinking 4 pages for single text and my teacher advices 5-6ish pages for comparative. Thing is,I have very big writing and I find that I when I write an excessive amount I start to waffle and run out of fresh points to make :/

Paper 1 = 200 marks = 50%
    Paper 2 = 200 marks = 50%
    For this reason, it is important to give paper 1 proper attention when preparing for your Leaving Cert. A perfect paper 2 will only give 50% and if you hadn't prepared for paper 1 you can definitely lose yourself a decent mark.

Regarding amount of writing;

Paper 1
    Comprehension: 1 paragraph per every 5 marks
    Part B of Comprehension: 1.5 - 2 pages
    Personal Essay: ~4-5 pages

Paper 2
    Single text: 4 pages
    Poetry: 4 pages
    Comparative: ~5-6 pages
    Unseen Poetry: 1 page

Advertisement