Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for buying a German shepperd

• 06-12-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I always liked these dogs so I'd like to get a pup at some stage in the future.
    I just wanna make sure I'm right for the dog and what I should be looking out for getting one. I'm not concerned about 'letters after their name' so to speak, literally just want one as a pet and guard dog. Maybe the two are mutually exclusive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

digzy wrote: »
    I always liked these dogs so I'd like to get a pup at some stage in the future.
    I just wanna make sure I'm right for the dog and what I should be looking out for getting one. I'm not concerned about 'letters after their name' so to speak, literally just want one as a pet and guard dog. Maybe the two are mutually exclusive?

Depends on what kind of guard dog you are after. AKA will it be inside, outside? Are you looking it to warn you of intruders, or to attempt to ward them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Well I'd plan on having him for both. As a family pet but capable of opening the jaws and giving a good bark to any intruders.
    I grew up with a wolfhound. Beautiful temperament but just doesn't have the temperament for scaring strangers. We also had a sheepdog who was much better. Both lived outside in their kennels but the current wolfhound stays around the kitchen. He's a lazy auld devil and wouldn't be a great fella for going for walks. Loves attention though, like a bid baby.

I don't plan on getting one for a while till our baby is a bit older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

There's people here that could give you way more information than me, but in my honest opinion I could never recommend any dog as a guard dog. No matter what the breed and likelihood of temperament, not all dogs are going to have that instinct to make noise at/bite intruders. And from what I hear, training them to be totally acceptable of strangers that you invite into your home, or people that call over such as the postman or the person you asked to feed him/walk him while you were away and still to be wary and aggressive towards people with ill intentions is very difficult.

Never mind the fact that a hardcore thief or intruder will likely know there is a dog, and will have prepared for it. Something as simple as a high-value treat, a bitch in heat or, unfortunately, a weapon for subduing the dog, could render them pretty useless in a guarding situation.

Plus there is the honest likelihood that someone could just steal him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

IMO they aren't the best barkers - and the ones I've met that are barky, had nervous temperaments not best suited to pets.

They are probably my favourite breed, you can't beat a good one, but equally there are plenty with a nervous streak. Those from showing lines seem to be a bit dim and definitely don't have the guard dog appeal unless bounding up to strangers, tongue lolling is enough to scare someone off.

As with all dogs, I think you would be much better off if you went down the rehoming route, so you can assess the individuals dog's temperament, There are lots of Shepherds about, I've even seen puppies go to the pound as they are on the restricted breeds list.

Mine was 7/8 months, abandoned at the vets, never been inside a house, skin and bone and all the hair missing from his neck and elbows where he's been tied on concrete. He is the best dog, never had a health problem (he's 6 now) but that's probably because he's not a pedigree.

Perfect family dog - lazes about inside all day, good with children and other pets, cats and rabbits. Very trainable and loves attention. Outside he's got bundles of energy.

He isn't a barker though. He never barked infact, until someone decided it would be a good idea to 'teach him to bark' :rolleyes: and for ages he would just snap his mouth and make no sound! He does bark now, but only when he gets excited, not at strangers.

He does have that look about him though when he skulks down the driveway, that would put most people off.

I'm another though that doesn't really get the guard dog thing. Much more likely that a nice Sheperd would actually be stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Dont spend too much its a lottery weather there good or not.

Father in law bought 2 both had to be put down after a year or two.

Cousin found one abandoned and its the healthiest iv seen one.

And get insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Rips wrote: »
    IMO they aren't the best barkers - and the ones I've met that are barky, had nervous temperaments not best suited to pets.

They are probably my favourite breed, you can't beat a good one, but equally there are plenty with a nervous streak. Those from showing lines seem to be a bit dim and definitely don't have the guard dog appeal unless bounding up to strangers, tongue lolling is enough to scare someone off.

As with all dogs, I think you would be much better off if you went down the rehoming route, so you can assess the individuals dog's temperament, There are lots of Shepherds about, I've even seen puppies go to the pound as they are on the restricted breeds list.

Mine was 7/8 months, abandoned at the vets, never been inside a house, skin and bone and all the hair missing from his neck and elbows where he's been tied on concrete. He is the best dog, never had a health problem (he's 6 now) but that's probably because he's not a pedigree.

Perfect family dog - lazes about inside all day, good with children and other pets, cats and rabbits. Very trainable and loves attention. Outside he's got bundles of energy.

He isn't a barker though. He never barked infact, until someone decided it would be a good idea to 'teach him to bark' :rolleyes: and for ages he would just snap his mouth and make no sound! He does bark now, but only when he gets excited, not at strangers.

He does have that look about him though when he skulks down the driveway, that would put most people off.

I'm another though that doesn't really get the guard dog thing. Much more likely that a nice Sheperd would actually be stolen.

That is a beutifull dog how could someone abandon him.

On the subject of shepherds being good guard dogs i think it is in them naturally to protect theyre territory and theyre pack so if it is treated well and used to being part of the family it would protect naturally.

One thing to keep in mind is the shepherds need a lot of exercise and stimulation or they will get very destuctive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Rips wrote: »

Beautiful dog. Looks fantastic.

Advertisement