Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - Gaming Headset

Options
  • 06-12-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need help/recommendations, will be playing the xbox one in a desk/chair setup opposed to a TV/lounge situation and i'm wondering what the best headset will be to get for it.

I am looking specifically for one that i can connect through USB into the xbox without having many other wires ect associated with it.

I appreciate that the 3rd party support isnt there right now but just wondering if anything in current range would suit my needs as they will have adapters.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I need help/recommendations, will be playing the xbox one in a desk/chair setup opposed to a TV/lounge situation and i'm wondering what the best headset will be to get for it.

I am looking specifically for one that i can connect through USB into the xbox without having many other wires ect associated with it.

I appreciate that the 3rd party support isnt there right now but just wondering if anything in current range would suit my needs as they will have adapters.

Thanks

Astro A50's were on sale recently. I love them, buy they are a bit expensive. I'm in the same boat btw, i'm using mine at a desk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi Guys,

Thanks

As miralize has said the Astros are great headsets. Either the A40 or the A50 will do great but they are expensive and they are no longer for sale.

I recently upgraded my older A40 to A50s and they are great headsets. They are fully wireless and the sound quality is exceptional.

The only problem this headsets have at the moment is that XBOX Live chat is not compatible yet as they require a connector/adapter that is not yet available. I believe that the only manufacturer that has the exclusive to this connector type is Madcatz (not 100% sure) so until they make it available to the rest you will need, as mentioned, an adapter.

The main difference between the A40 and the A50 is that the A50 have the wireless unit built in the headset while the A40s wireless unit is external and connect to the headset through a cable, meaning that you need to carry it with you wherever you go. This is not a big problem anyway as the connection between the wireless unit and the wireless transmitter is still (obviously) wireless, see the picture comparing both my old A40s (left) with the wireless unit and my new A50s (right). The square box is the wireless transmitter (both are almost identical) and this is placed close to the TV/AVR.

Untitled.png

There are other headsets available that are cheaper than the Astro.

also, remember that at the moment the XBox One does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 over the optical output although Microsoft have confirmed that they will releasing a patch soon so solve this problem.

I wanted to upload a small review comparing both the A40s and the A50s but I dont know where!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Money right now isn't an object, i was actually looking at the asto a50's. I have turtle beach X12's that i PC game on but the hassle of a wired connection into an xbox/pc even if they are in the same space is a pain so im looking for something that will work on the xbox one on its own without a load of wires.

Madcatz have the exclusive to the connector eh, i will have to have a look at them.

Money right now isn't an object, i was actually looking at the asto a50's. I have turtle beach X12's that i PC game on but the hassle of a wired connection into an xbox/pc even if they are in the same space is a pain so im looking for something that will work on the xbox one on its own without a load of wires.

Madcatz have the exclusive to the connector eh, i will have to have a look at them.

Then go for them. Plus the Astro are compatible aswell with PC, XBOX 360, PS3 and PS4!

I am not 100% sure if the exclusive for the connector is with Mad Catz or who, I remember reading it somewhere but I am not 100% sure.

Mad Catz sell the Tritton Warhammer 7.1. Beast of a headset as well but they are exclusive to Xbox at the moment (I think only 360) and the sound quality of the Astro is still better (or so I have read here link).

If I find who has the exclusive to the connector I will let you know

PS: this might be interesting ... home made xbox one mic adapter

Madcatz have the connector now, but Astro will get them soon enough.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Madcatz have the connector now, but Astro will get them soon enough.

From what I heard, Mad Catz (or whoever) owns the exclusive to incorporate the connector to the headset, this means that they people buying this headset can connect to the XBOX one without using the adaptor.

All the other manufacturer will have to use an adaptor to connect their headsets to the XBox One, which will be available early next year.

What I havent found yet is who is the headset manufacturer who has the exclusive, I am almost sure is Mad Catz.

@Calhoun... you missed a good sale on the astro, they had over 110 euro off last week on their A50! :S

Bohrio wrote: »
    From what I heard, Mad Catz (or whoever) owns the exclusive to incorporate the connector to the headset, this means that they people buying this headset can connect to the XBOX one without using the adaptor.

All the other manufacturer will have to use an adaptor to connect their headsets to the XBox One, which will be available early next year.

What I havent found yet is who is the headset manufacturer who has the exclusive, I am almost sure is Mad Catz.

@Calhoun... you missed a good sale on the astro, they had over 110 euro off last week on their A50! :S

Ugh... no matter. Astro would have had to at least make a different mixamp for the A50 for current owners...

Thanks for all the info guys, is it the about Dolby 5.1 and 7 not working , I had read somewhere it was only certain suppliers where it didn't work.

Thanks for all the info guys, is it the about Dolby 5.1 and 7 not working , I had read somewhere it was only certain suppliers where it didn't work.

Currently, the XBox One does not support Dolby Digital through the optical output. This is a bug and microsoft has promised they will be releasing a patch to fix this soon. Until then stereo uncompressed will for fine (although no 5.1-7.1). I wouldnt worry too much about it although I dont know when microsoft will be releasing the patch but I suppose it will be soon, hopefully

link

Thanks for all the advice guys I went with the a50's In the end . Your help was very valuable in deciding on purchase.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys I went with the a50's In the end . Your help was very valuable in deciding on purchase.

Good choice... You are going to love those headsets... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you're really stuck and can't wait for the patch then there's a few audio Converter you can get, they take a HDMI connection and output to another HDMI plus an optical port.

Turtle beach sell them for the 360 E and there's a load of other companies that do as well who are likely cheaper.

Thanks ill keep this in mind, i actually cant play the xbox one yet as i have to wait until Christmas day but was sorting the headset out.

I probably wont play online initially as i prefer more single player orientated games on my consoles but may eventually so really right now all i need is something that sounds great.

Thanks ill keep this in mind, i actually cant play the xbox one yet as i have to wait until Christmas day but was sorting the headset out.

I probably wont play online initially as i prefer more single player orientated games on my consoles but may eventually so really right now all i need is something that sounds great.

Headsets give you an advantage in multiplayer mode. In single player is not as useful as most of the time the AI is easy to predict (not saying it doesnt come handy).

If you ordered the headsets during the weekend you will have them with you probably tomorrow. The headsets are also pretty good for watching movies as well. It has 3 preset eq modes. I have heard that Astro will be providing a way for people to change the presets to suit their needs but it might be a while before this happens.

Yah im a PC gamer and have been since around 98, so definitely understand the benefit online but i dont like playing FPS games ect online as im used to the control and accuracy of a mouse and keyboard.

I am really looking forward to watching films using them, my current xbox/ps3 setup in the sitting room is in an area i dont get to use it or experience it so this headset will help get some of that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I know the feeling..I'm playing COD on the XB1 at the moment and getting slaughtered..on the PC I'd be in the top 3 every time :(
    Controllers suck for FPS games..

Blazer wrote: »
    I know the feeling..I'm playing COD on the XB1 at the moment and getting slaughtered..on the PC I'd be in the top 3 every time :(
    Controllers suck for FPS games..

Well if you're getting slaughtered, that must mean someone else is good. Personally I prefer the controller for FPS games, but I can see why people like keyboard/mouse.

Well if you're getting slaughtered, that must mean someone else is good. Personally I prefer the controller for FPS games, but I can see why people like keyboard/mouse.

No no, he said he is playing CoD... skills are not important in CoD, it would make no difference..:p

Now seriously, I would suggest you try other games instead, I would love to suggest BF4 but it is unplayable at the moment but when they fix it give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

oh yeah getting BF4 for the xbox..have it on pc already but its handy to have it on xbox as well since having the baby gaming time is limited and the xbox in the sitting room is more accessible...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Ugh... no matter. Astro would have had to at least make a different mixamp for the A50 for current owners...

There's no need, the only thing that currently does not work is the chat, that's only the cable that goes from your headset to controller in the A50s case.

• Advertisement

There's no need, the only thing that currently does not work is the chat, that's only the cable that goes from your headset to controller in the A50s case.

I know.

It arrived today very impressed pity u won't get to use it until Christmas , got some good games and blue ray ready to go though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

It arrived today very impressed pity u won't get to use it until Christmas , got some good games and blue ray ready to go though :)

Where did you order it from?

Astro.co.uk was cheapest I could find .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Astro.co.uk was cheapest I could find .

Limexb360.co.uk is better :)

Advertisement