Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for ceramic flowerpots in Dublin City

• 06-12-2013 6:40pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Like the title says, I'm looking for somewhere that sells ceramic/terracotta flowerpots to I can make one or two of these.

_Terra_Cotta_Pot_Heater_1.jpg#

I have a new flatmate who's a Hermanns Tortoise and requires a lot more heat to survive than I do, but the flat is 100% electric heating which is costing me a bloody fortune.

The pots need to be unglazed for best results as far as I can tell and in order to avoid burning my flat down, I plan on using one of my tortoise's infra-red ceramic lamps to power it rather than a candle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

how does it work??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Physics :)

The clay can absorb huge amounts of heat and it radiates out heating the air between the pots which in turn radiates out as heat into the room. The metal core helps distribute the heat to the pots. It sounds a little hard to believe that it generates a lot of heat, but I know a lady who has one and she has cut her heat bills considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Shiminay wrote: »
    Hello all,

Like the title says, I'm looking for somewhere that sells ceramic/terracotta flowerpots to I can make one or two of these.

_Terra_Cotta_Pot_Heater_1.jpg#

I have a new flatmate who's a Hermanns Tortoise and requires a lot more heat to survive than I do, but the flat is 100% electric heating which is costing me a bloody fortune.

The pots need to be unglazed for best results as far as I can tell and in order to avoid burning my flat down, I plan on using one of my tortoise's infra-red ceramic lamps to power it rather than a candle.

Woodies is a good place to start. There is one opp. Glas. Cemetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Similar idea here, here which I've tried and it works surprisingly well.

I only use terracotta pots for planting and picked them up over the years in various places there're very inexpensive as well - Any garden centre or woodies should have a good stock of them (although most of them are taken over with christmas stock these days!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

• Advertisement
Advertisement