Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnotts Screw Up

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You used the word deliberately....I never made any such assertion.
    Lol, well it's not like you can accidentally decide something.
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the OP in fact receive a purse...so Arnott's thus far hasn't fulfilled their side of the contract. If you buy something online, surely there's a record created of what you in fact purchased and the sum that you paid for the product for processing, receipt and dispatching purposes. The OP has a confirmation receipt clearly stating that they purchased a bag and the offer was accepted as far as the payment transaction went through....so it really makes you wonder how the purse end up being dispatched from the warehouse or store.
    No one is denying the OP received the wrong article, but nothing suggests it was a decision to not honour the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Lol, well it's not like you can accidentally decide something.

No one is denying the OP received the wrong article, but nothing suggests it was a decision to not honour the contract.

But when they're processing an online order do these stores/warehouses not have a duplicate record of the item that the purchaser ordered and paid for? How else can they tell what needs to be dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

But when they're processing an online order do these stores/warehouses not have a duplicate record of the item that the purchaser ordered and paid for? How else can they tell what needs to be dispatched.

They most likely have something saying "item 12345 is to go to Fred Bloggs at this address". The fact that item 12345 in the warehouse is a purse, but is described mistakenly online as a bag probably isn't obvious to the people packing the envelope - they'll just cross reference the item number with the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

They and every other online store are covered by the terms and conditions which form part of your contract.

Errors happen - that's life.

Error has been noticed. The MAXIMUM they must do is give you a refund. Nothing more.

Move on and stop trying to convince yourself you have any other entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is pretty much a clear example of an advertising error and Arnotts have offered to refund. Give the service agent sometime to respond with her manager's decision, but I wouldn't push it with them. Sometimes mistakes happen. Would you want to be pushed like this if you made a similar mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry guys but most of you are missing the fact that the contract has been concluded and the good delivered. I'm having some difficulty wrapping my head around whether this is unilateral or mutual mistake (sometimes I wish I paid more attention at school :P). If it is unilateral mistake then there is a possibility that the contract can be upheld.

The likelihood is the OP won't be able to force Arnott's hand legally, but really this is not what this is about, it's a consumer issue and if a mistake of this sort is made the retailer should stand over it as a matter of service. They may not be able to offer the full amount but certainly so sort of offer should be forthcoming.

That said OP you do need to give them time to respond. I'd be disinclined to kick off to any great degree until close of business on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Bepolite wrote: »
    Sorry guys but most of you are missing the fact that the contract has been concluded and the good delivered.
    A good has been delivered, not the good contracted for, which is why we're having this discussion. Afaic the contract is still open and thus, subject to change as per Arnotts reserved rights.
    Legal nitpicking aside, practically speaking OP, I'd take the refund and buy something else, somewhere else, with the money. If this is an xmas present I don't see any other course resolved before the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

A good has been delivered, not the good contracted for, which is why we're having this discussion. Afaic the contract is still open and thus, subject to change as per Arnotts reserved rights.
    Legal nitpicking aside, practically speaking OP, I'd take the refund and buy something else, somewhere else, with the money. If this is an xmas present I don't see any other course resolved before the new year.

Sorry but it's not legal nitpicking it's fundamental fairness to the OP. The OP hasn't acted dishonestly, it wasn't something 'snapped up' with a decimal point in the wrong place, it was an error on the part of the retailer. The retailer should stand over their error.

If the error had been spotted and reported to the OP prior to delivery, thats on thing. Once the goods arrive, the contract is concluded and the OP is left without what they bargained for. The retailer is offering a refund, this isn't acceptable purely on the grounds of good service let alone anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Good News!

Arnotts are going to complete the original order!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's very good of them. IMO, they don't have to (I feel a genuine error was made) but it's very good customer service on their part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement