Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letters from social welfare encouraging emmigration

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 one shot bang bang

i would be happy to do a deal with the social welfare.if the give me the money i need to go abroad 5000 euro for exsample.it would really help the people who cant get the money to go the people who are on welfare,for exsample if the give me the money to go then i wont sign on for say 2years or you have to pay a certain amount of taxes etc,just throwing a idea out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

You are completely missing the point here,if someone lets say is on 100/144/188 a week can you honestly say they have the money the means to travel out there,do you think someone on the dole can rack up a few grand just like that?

You are being a little unrealistic here :)

Where are you continually getting your few grand figures out of?Opportunities were/are still there in the system to train/retrain and get qualifications to get a job.Being an unskilled migrant worker is not the best position to be in.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Some of these foreign places will pay for travel and accommodation, that's how badly they want people.

Couldn't agree more with you.I'm on a 12/9 rotation with everything payed for. No 5 grand required,what was required was training using the Irish system. Work is there for anyone who wants it which was the basic message of the letter as far as I know.
    i would be happy to do a deal with the social welfare.if the give me the money i need to go abroad 5000 euro for exsample.it would really help the people who cant get the money to go the people who are on welfare,for exsample if the give me the money to go then i wont sign on for say 2years or you have to pay a certain amount of taxes etc,just throwing a idea out there

Nice idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Personally I think we are forgetting something, there are some jobs out there, badly paid minimum wage, crappy hours jobs, but jobs none the less. I work 40 hrs at minimum wage in a job I hate but the kids need to eat, so I'll grin and bear it. I have heard the 'I'd be better off on the dole' line from a few of my friends, who are fresh out of college and don't want to take a job that is beneath them. I know a tonne of people apply for each job and that's not my point I just wonder about the mentality of people who would rather sit at home than go do a job they could get but may dislike.

My hubby is in college doing an IT degree, he has another year and a half left. If he gets offered a job in Norway, or Canada or Timuktu we will be going there. We have 3 young kids and to give them a better life we'll be on the first plane out of here!

My mother told me recently that she felt she had 'raised her children for export.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Where are you continually getting your few grand figures out of?

You need a few grand in order to set up and travel,my question was if you can bother to re-read what i have said,where would you honestly rack up a few grand to go travel if you are on either 100 , or 144 or 188 a week depending on your situation?

And if you get family income or one parent,you cannot just up and leave like that anyway.

I think these letters are very aspirational and unrealistic as most people on the dole cannot afford to travel they are busy trying their best to survive on what little they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

NickD wrote: »
    Personally I think we are forgetting something, there are some jobs out there, badly paid minimum wage, crappy hours jobs, but jobs none the less. I work 40 hrs at minimum wage in a job I hate but the kids need to eat, so I'll grin and bear it. I have heard the 'I'd be better off on the dole' line from a few of my friends, who are fresh out of college and don't want to take a job that is beneath them. I know a tonne of people apply for each job and that's not my point I just wonder about the mentality of people who would rather sit at home than go do a job they could get but may dislike.

My hubby is in college doing an IT degree, he has another year and a half left. If he gets offered a job in Norway, or Canada or Timuktu we will be going there. We have 3 young kids and to give them a better life we'll be on the first plane out of here!

My mother told me recently that she felt she had 'raised her children for export.'

Because sometimes the costs of childcare make it prohibitive to work. Especially for single parents getting little or no child support and little or no any support, not even babysitting support from the fathers.

I certainly felt like that over in Ireland, that mothers were just raising kids to see them emmigrate one day.

But you know emigrating a whole family comes with hidden costs. Department of SOCIAL PROTECTION?

I cannot imagine a government suggesting this. If US. Welfare recipients got letters that said, go to Canada, firstly, there would be a media backlash, possibly sone riots and the Canadians would be WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Especially for single parents getting little or no child support and little or no any support, not even babysitting support from the fathers.

Why no support from the children father, in the UK not sure if this has changed now, if a single mother did not divulge the father name of their child then they would get no benefit. Father has just as much responsibly for his children as the mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

If US. Welfare recipients got letters that said, go to Canada, firstly, there would be a media backlash, possibly sone riots and the Canadians would be WTF?

The US and Canada are very large countries. One imagines if there are loads of jobs in Alberta that people from Nova Scotia might be encouraged to go there and take them up rather than remaining unemployed.

Because sometimes the costs of childcare make it prohibitive to work. Especially for single parents getting little or no child support and little or no any support, not even babysitting support from the fathers.

I totally understand that and apologies I should have specified that the friends I spoke about are in their early 30's some are married, most are single and none have children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Do you know what I find sad.

We got a Christmas card yesterday, designed for kids and purchased in Ireland, that reads something like Merry Christmas to you, so far away in the USA.... The phenomenon of children being sooo far way in other countries, has ow been recognised by a major greeting card company that sells in Ireland.

I was flabbergasted tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Do you know what I find sad.

We got a Christmas card yesterday, designed for kids and purchased in Ireland, that reads something like Merry Christmas to you, so far away in the USA.... The phenomenon of children being sooo far way in other countries, has ow been recognised by a major greeting card company that sells in Ireland.

I was flabbergasted tbh.

Well that's just business and enterprising initiative, a fact of life, maybe many our emigrants would be happy to get a card like this even though I have no doubt many of them would shed a tear on receiving it.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why dont they do what the dutch did in the 70s i think it was,and pay people to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

The US and Canada are very large countries. One imagines if there are loads of jobs in Alberta that people from Nova Scotia might be encouraged to go there and take them up rather than remaining unemployed.

Not so much Nova Scotia but a very large number from Newfoundland and Labrador already seem to be in Alberta.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Imagine this sceanario for a minute you insensitive souls:

You live on 100/144 or even 188 a week.. You get a letter saying emigrate to some far off country within the EU or to go to canada.

Whats your response,oh on 188 a week i must MUST get a taxi to the airport hop on a plane ,get a place to stay and have applied for that job..

It takes MONEY to do those things ,and you certainly wont be able to do that on 188 a week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

NickD wrote: »
    I totally understand that and apologies I should have specified that the friends I spoke about are in their early 30's some are married, most are single and none have children.

Interesting point NickD....is their lack of child dependants a considered choice ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

So...this is their solution to unemployment. I'm at a loss for words as to the indifference, possibly evil, amoral, and disgraceful this tactic is. The department of social welfare sent 4000 letters to dole recipients encouraging them to leave Ireland.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/4000-Irish-social-welfare-letters-encourage-young-people-to-emigrate-234730961.html

Has anyone actually produced a copy of this letter yet?

Imagine this sceanario for a minute you insensitive souls:

You live on 100/144 or even 188 a week.. You get a letter saying emigrate to some far off country within the EU or to go to canada.

Whats your response,oh on 188 a week i must MUST get a taxi to the airport hop on a plane ,get a place to stay and have applied for that job..

It takes MONEY to do those things ,and you certainly wont be able to do that on 188 a week..

Imagine indeed.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interesting point NickD....is their lack of child dependants a considered choice ?

As far as I am aware only one married couple is putting off having children as they can't afford it. They have said that the can't afford to feed themselves at the moment so a baby is not a choice, they have a middle sized mortgage (around 200k) he finished college last May, and isn't working as there are "no jobs in his field" she is working 3 days a week.

I haven't directly asked the rest of them about babies (I don't want to be that person) so I can't say for sure about them.

Advertisement