Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Routes to be Privatised.

Options
  • 06-12-2013 7:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Up to 20% of Dublin bus routes are to be privatised by 2016. Most of them are satellite routes around the outskirts of Dublin.

The list includes the 17a, 76a, 220, 236, 238, 239 and 270. All Blanchardstown area routes.

They're to be put out to tender soon. No idea what this will mean for the routes but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Never heard of the 76a, but I know the 17a is a very busy route with students at Blanch IT.

Full list of routes here... http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/12/routes.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

but I know the 17a is a very busy route with students at Blanch IT.

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/12/routes.jpg

A lot of them use the 17a to get to DCU from the Centre as well

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Of all those routes I'd say the 17a is the busiest. It goes every 20 minutes, so there's obviously a need for it.

I wonder what would happen if nobody wanted to take over the routes? Would they just be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Complete joke, students of colaiste dhulaigh DCU blanch IT all to be effected by this. Not to mention patients of Beaumont hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Cant be any worse.

My parents cant go the centre because the 238 was taken out of this side of Corduff,the 236 runs like twice a day, the 17a doesn't go near us(ma on walking stick so cant walk to Corduff shops).

SO they have to walk up and get a 38 , then get a 17a,madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

If a route is privatised can Dublin Bus Tickets be used on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is just the start of the move over to a more London Bus style in Dublin. The buses will be owned by the NTA and leased/lent to the operators. It's a "bit by bit" approach to breaking up the almost monopoly like position Dublin Bus enjoys. In the future the NTA will oversee bus routes and fares and the actual bus driving will be done by companies who tender for routes, like in London under TfL. It should bring improvements as companies strive to meet service targets or pay penalties and/or lose contracts.

I think they have chosen peripheral routes at the beginning to "ease the process in" rather than going for the 46a and it being a disaster and plastered all over the news. It is the right way to go folks, but will take time.

Tickets will be usable on all Dublin city services as they are now. In London all the buses are red but they are owned and run by several companies who all tender for routes and have to meet quality of service targets. It's going that way and it's long overdue. The state should control routes and fares, but not be actually driving buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

its just a way to bring in lower paid bus drivers so they can drive up proffits for non irish companies like they do with the toll roads... we wont see buss fairs dropping even though we should....

Irish companies (including Dublin bus!!) are allowed to tender for these routes like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

its just a way to bring in lower paid bus drivers so they can drive up proffits for non irish companies like they do with the toll roads... we wont see buss fairs dropping even though we should....

But will we see better bus services??

But will we see better bus services??
    Well that's the $64,000 question. It takes more than a committed operator to deliver quality bus services in an urban/suburban environment. You need all stakeholders on board, especially the local roads authorities (the councils) as they control bus priority measures and such like.

Hopefully the NTA will gain control of the road infrastructure in greater Dublin as TfL has control of the roads in Greater London. It really has to be this way for it to ever work properly IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Nothing like competition to sharpen up the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Never heard of the 76a

The 76A only operates 3 times a day in each direction during the peak hours, runs from blanch to tallaght.

It was originally planned for it to get a major upgrade during network direct but was chopped following angry reaction from ballyfermot residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

thomasj wrote: »
    The 76A only operates 3 times a day in each direction during the peak hours, runs from blanch to tallaght.

It was originally planned for it to get a major upgrade during network direct but was chopped following angry reaction from ballyfermot residents.

Is network direct toast?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rabbitt wrote: »
    Is network direct toast?

No, it was pretty much implemented. Look at the number of services that now cross the city instead of terminating in 'An Lár'. Also the services have been tweaked to better serve local population demands and connections with other modes.

I use the 39 and 39a occasionally and I have to say the re-routing and revised timetabling has improved their service a fair bit. Sure the routes are tortuously long, but it is public transport after all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

If the large hike of Bin collection charges is anything to take into account after it was privatised- I wonder what the max they think they can charge bus users per trip.

- maybe even some ever increasing yearly charge could be added, could be in the form of some photo id card or oyster smart card you need buy maybe....

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    If the large hike of Bin collection charges is anything to take into account after it was privatised- I wonder what the max they think they can charge bus users per trip.

- maybe even some ever increasing yearly charge could be added, could be in the form of some photo id card or oyster smart card you need buy maybe....

A bit like this?

rpa_jcrop_545x245.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A bit like this?

rpa_jcrop_545x245.jpg

That breda one looks a bit strange:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I really don't understand the point you are making, as to my mind the LEAP card is the local equivalent to the Oyster card so what type of additional charge are you getting at?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I really don't understand the point you are making, as to my mind the LEAP card is the local equivalent to the Oyster card so what type of additional charge are you getting at?

Oh - just shows how long its been since I got the bus (I use the train as for my area works out best) - don't have one of those cards.

Bus apparently is just over 3 euros for me to get to city center - that's close to what it was for a bin lift when charges first came in(with no yearly charge)
    - now the bins are over 10 euros and you have pay a yearly charge.

It happened also with privatised Toll Roads(the RFID thing rental + usage) - with Privatised Water (standing charge + usage) - etc...

I was conjecturing the possibility of this happening to privatised bus services - a higher usage charge and a token (at first) yearly fee if they could wrangle it in somehow maybe under the guise of convenience or it being a discount off an already high price.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Basically what I think ozmo is driving at......is WE go from being Gouged by a Public/Semi Public Utility to being Gouged by a Private one. Only difference is WE dont own the Private one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Oh - just shows how long its been since I got the bus (I use the train as for my area works out best) - don't have one of those cards.

The LEAP card which introduced approximatley 2 years ago. It can be used on all Dublin Bus, LUAS, DART, and Commuter Trains.

I am really sorry but I gave up trying to follow the rest of your post :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The LEAP card which introduced approximatley 2 years ago. It can be used on all Dublin Bus, LUAS, DART, and Commuter Trains.

I am really sorry but I gave up trying to follow the rest of your post :)

A summary then: "Expect above normal fare rises"

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

One things for sure, fares wont be going down!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

but But BUT the Free Market says that when enough competition enters the market prices fall?

However like total Communism, total Free Market doesnt exist except in the minds of idealists.

Ultimately were gonna get gouged. Property tax, Water Tax, Electricty & gas so why NOT buses?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Public transport is already seriously overpriced as it is, very little incentive to leave the car at home

I dont argue that public transport is expensive, however its not too high by European standards, and good reductions can be had for monthly/annual tickets and Leap card if you plan ahead a bit.

The UK is the best (worst) example of the fracturing and privatisation of integrated services contributing to skyrocketing prices and reduction of standards. The cost of going anywhere over there is frankly eye watering.

As an example an annual rail ticket from Maidenhead to London Paddington costs between €3400 and €5200, a distance of 30 miles. An Irish rail annual ticket from Drogheda to Connolly, roughly same distance is €2300, or €1100 with taxsaver credits. I know demand on London services is huge, but thats a ridiculous price is anyones economy!

Advertisement