Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

56th Grammy Awards

• 06-12-2013 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

Grammy nominations being announced tonight. Who do you think will be on the list? Rap album of the year will probably look something like this;

Kanye - Yeezus
    Macklemore - The Heist
    Drake - Nothing Was The Same
    Jay Z - MCHG
    Kendrick - GKMC

In an ideal world this would be my list,

Kanye - Yeezus
    Mac Miller - WMWTSO (I have a feeling he might get nominated tbh)
    Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
    Kendrick - GKMC
    Danny Brown - Old (I'm not sure if he dropped in time or not)

So who do you think will win? I have a bad feeling Macklemore will walk away with all the rap Grammys this year :(

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, without a doubt.

People didn't get Kanye, GKMC was loved but not on a broad a scale as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (jouro's, press, reviews, coverage), Drake was loved, but only in certain circles and Jay-Z was innovative, but lacked momentum after teh first single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Kendrick & Macklemore up for album of the year, I didn't see that one coming! Up against Daft Punk, Sara Bareilles(who?) & Taylor Swift lol.

Macklemore up for song of the year for Same Love, no surprise there. Up against Pink, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry & Lorde

Kendrick & Macklemore up for Best New Artist. Up against James Blake, Ed Sheeran & Casey Musgraves.

Best Rap Performance:
    Started From The Bottom - Drake
    Berzerk - Eminem
    Tom Ford - Jay Z
    Swimming Pools - Kendrick Lamar
    Thrift Shop - Macklemore

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration:
    Power Trip - J.Cole Featuring Miguel
    Part II (On The Run) - Jay Z Featuring Beyonce
    Holy Grail - Jay Z Featuring Justin Timberlake
    Now Or Never - Kendrick Lamar Featuring Mary J. Blige
    Remember You - Wiz Khalifa Featuring The Weeknd

Best Rap Song
    ****in' Problems - A$AP Rocky Featuring Drake, 2Chainz & Kendrick Lamar
    Holy Grail - Jay Z Featuring Justin Timberlake
    New Slaves - Kanye West
    Started From The Bottom - Drake
    Thrift Shop - Macklemore

Rap Album Of The Year:
    Nothing Was The Same - Drake
    Magna Carta...Holy Grail - Jay Z
    Good Kid, M.A.A.D City - Kendrick Lamar
    The Heist - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Yeezus - Kanye West

Looks like it's going to be the Kendrick and Macklemore show for the most part. No real surprises in the rap categories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

HighClass wrote: »
    In an ideal world this would be my list,

Kanye - Yeezus
    Mac Miller - WMWTSO (I have a feeling he might get nominated tbh)
    Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
    Kendrick - GKMC
    Danny Brown - Old (I'm not sure if he dropped in time or not)

Did you actually enjoy Yeezus?! I thought it was a terrible album. Kanye's standards have really plummeted recently imo.

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Did you actually enjoy Yeezus?! I thought it was a terrible album. Kanye's standards have really plummeted recently imo.

Easily one of my favourite albums of the year. Lyric wise it's not Kanyes best, but the production is amazing. New Slaves, Black Skinhead & Blood On The Leaves are some of the best tracks he's ever done imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Nothing from Eminem?

• Advertisement

Prodgey wrote: »
    Nothing from Eminem?

Album came out too late.

Easily one of my favourite albums of the year. Lyric wise it's not Kanyes best, but the production is amazing. New Slaves, Black Skinhead & Blood On The Leaves are some of the best tracks he's ever done imo.

Ye fair enough. I retract my previous statement. The songs you mentioned aren't that bad at all. I might have to give the whole album another listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

kanye's only on that because of who he is not because its a good album imo.

didnt gkmc come out in 2012?

I was wondering about this as well.

kanye's only on that because of who he is not because its a good album imo.

Yeah but it was too late for the 2013 Grammys so it rolls over to the next year. Same case with Em and these ones. MMLP2 will be up in 2015.

Yeezus has been 1 on almost every end of year list I've seen. It's an amazing album, not everyones taste, but an amazing album all the same. Been lots of albums people have loved down the years that I've hated but could still see why it was getting the praise. The only shock for me is Yeezus not being up for album of the year tbh.

I can't figure out how Jay Z got 9 nominations off MCHG, that's a case for only getting them because of the name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I just cannot for the life of me as a hip hop fan adapt to yeezus I was the exact same with the auto tune album he had.

I love the rest of his albums though even though I personally think mbdtf is overated, great album but just not the classic kanye thinks it is.

I've got 2 built in subwoofers in my car and honestly yeezus is unlistenable even when turned down low !. It's noise at it's loudest for me just all over the place, seriously brings on a head ache for me.

I honestly couldn't give a sh*t about his lryics of late too they've gone to the dogs. He was roasted by some radio dj a few weeks back about it, I think his name is Cham the god or something. He said to Kanyes face the same that nobody really cares about this fashion bullsh*t and spoilt brat approach he has to rap these days, it's on YouTube.

I think the only people praising Kanyes music of late are the big kanye fans. I'm the same with my favourite rappers like a 50 but you really know when it's good or bad when a neutral like hip hop fan rates it and most neutral fans I know hate yeezus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The thing with Yeezus, you shouldn't view it as a hip hop album. It's a body of music with some hip hop influence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Album came out too late.

and it was crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The thing with Yeezus, you shouldn't view it as a hip hop album. It's a body of music with some hip hop influence.

I just think it's whack, period. It's EASILY Kanye's worst album.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Thought Yeezus should of been nominated overall AOTY but happy that Kendrick did but I don't think he has much of a chance. If we're talking about albums that are up there for just who made them certainly Jay-Z should be mentioned, much better hip-hop albums came out this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jay with 9 nominations for that album is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sadistik overlooked:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

i gave up on the Grammy's years ago , its way too diluted
    Real hiphop doesn't get a look in , only hip pop.

Macklemore with a clean sweep. Rap album of the year, rap song of the year, best new artist & best rap performance.

Jay Z & Justin Timberlake won rap/sung collaboration.

There was a lovely sms exchange posted somewhere between Mackelmore and Kendrick.

The real winners of the ceremony were Jay & Bey for appearing to be the best couple in the land.

And the real real real winners were Pharrel, Stevie Wonder & Daft Punk. One of the best performances I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Prodgey wrote: »
    Nothing from Eminem?

It was so bad even the Grammy's wouldn't nominate it, even if they do love trite boring white MCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My favourite bit of writing about the Grammy's this week.
    The Rap Game Billy Elliot Award

Someone needs to mark Macklemore for death. I don’t care if it’s an obsessed Atmosphere fan or Lester Bangs’ ghost. His set combined all the charm of a Dane Cook routine, a midnight AA meeting, and a Marky Mark video.

I’m sure Macklemore is a really good bro who leaves tips at Starbucks that make all the baristas say “That guy’s a real sport.” He hosts fan appreciation pizza parties. He writes tribute songs for gay rights and dead Mariners announcers. He’s painfully optimistic and is living his dream by making honky-rap about dressing up like your grandfather. He has legitimately paid his dues and you have to respect that.

But my grandfather would insist that Macklemore is a turkey. For one, the Seattle rapper needs to tithe 10% of his income to Atmosphere. There’s a difference between homage and outright heist and on-stage, Macklemore lifts every one of Slug’s vocal tics and cadences. Close your eyes and you can scarcely tell the difference. He is Atmosphere if God loves Sucking.

His stage presence consists of jazz hands gestures while flouncing on-stage in the fashion of a British boy ballet maestro. While wearing a black tanktop, Macklemore expressed his dissatisfaction towards driving his mom’s Prius when he really wanted a Cadillac Roth. It was the most aggressively mayonnaise thing I’ve ever heard at a hip-hop show (to be fair, I never saw Paul Barman or Joey Lawrence live).

Every one of his songs seemed accompanied by a syrupy choir or some sort of fortune cookie optimism. He told the crowd that they “will only get one tonight.” He coaxed them to make noise because they were competing with every other festival in the world at that moment. He roared “Are You Ready” with the corniness of a boxing ring announcer. He sang a song about Irish pride. He brought out a singer in all white who looked like a milkman.

Then he crawled on his hands and knees and surfed out into the adoring mob and you couldn’t help but wish that he disappeared, but understood that he wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
    http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/04/02/paid-dues-2013-jeff-weiss/

Personally I didn't like the Kanye album much but I can understand why the critics went ape for it. This was a bad year for hip hop full lengths (although still good singles wise) so it's one of the few that really had any significant impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't understand the appeal of Macklemore at all. His performance at the show last night was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen. Up there acting like he single-handedly legitimized gay relationships for the rest of the world. It just summed up the self-importance of certain celebrities. When you compare it to Kendrick Lamar's performance the same night, there's no comparison.

At least he knows he robbed Lamar.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I think the cringiest thing I've ever seen had to be Taylor Swift dancing to Kendrick's performance:

taylor-swift-dancing-2.gif

Oh dear :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Way too many singing geriatrics on the Grammys??

I think the cringiest thing I've ever seen had to be Taylor Swift dancing to Kendrick's performance

That too was awful. Somehow I feel like she's probably not that familiar with his music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

She was the same when Beyonce was on, maybe she is a fan of Hip-Hop/RnB/****e(Beyonce new song being ****e)

Ah, now. I think Beyonce's new stuff is really good. It's way more personal than anything she's ever done before, which I think is interesting, and she's actually experimenting a bit with her sound, rather than cruising on her already stratospheric popularity. I didn't really believe the hype about her before, but I think the new record is actually pretty great. The production on it is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've only heard two of the songs but the production is indeed excellent.

I usually find Beyonce's singing style a bit forced, belting out power notes cos she can rather than serving the song, and she's toned that down on this stuff. Not entirely sold on the accents she's putting on but it makes for a nice change.

• Advertisement

There's a good track with Drake on there and one with Frank Ocean too. Most of it was produced by a guy on Roc Nation called Boots. Never heard of him before this, but he's got a great sound.

Advertisement