Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Episodes larkology

Options
  • 06-12-2013 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

So, there has been a hell of a lot of chatter and misdirection going on over the alleged haul of episodes in the infamous omnirumour, that suggests, depending on what you read, that only The Invasion 1 and 4, The Ice Warriors 2 and 3, two episodes of The Wheel in Space and unknown episodes of The Daleks' Masterplan are still missing.

And yet some of us had the misfortune to sit through the ball of crap that was the "After party" on BBC Three two weeks ago in the vain hope that at least some of the alleged haul was returning. Not a sausage.

What do you think? Are we getting any more, or with The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear, that's it? And if you believe more is to come, why then the cloak and dagger of leak and spin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Banjoxed wrote: »
    So, there has been a hell of a lot of chatter and misdirection going on over the alleged haul of episodes in the infamous omnirumour, that suggests, depending on what you read, that only The Invasion 1 and 4, The Ice Warriors 2 and 3, two episodes of The Wheel in Space and unknown episodes of The Daleks' Masterplan are still missing.

And yet some of us had the misfortune to sit through the ball of crap that was the "After party" on BBC Three two weeks ago in the vain hope that at least some of the alleged haul was returning. Not a sausage.

What do you think? Are we getting any more, or with The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear, that's it? And if you believe more is to come, why then the cloak and dagger of leak and spin?

Why the cloak and dagger ? because of the possible condition of the film reels and cost going into restoring them. Imagine if the BBC said yeah we have Marco Polo then a few months later say err we had it but film was so bad it was no good to us.

Its not just Doctor Who though other lost shows are thought to be found and the Missing Believed Wiped on December 21 might reveal more information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't recall reading about further Dr. Who related finds; where are these rumours coming from?

Whilst the recovery of the two adventures was a surprise and some proof that there's still a chance many of these lost stories are out there, surely with each passing year the possibility lessens more and more; to the extent that the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is the most sensible :)

I guess if there is any truth to these rumours, one must presume that the BBC would want to first check the recovered episodes are legitimate and then the extent of any damage to the audio & video. After that, I guess they'd be sent off to the appropriate departments / companies for clean-up and remastering. And all of that would take require fairly intricate work; if you think about it, the time between the announcement of those two recovered stories and their release on iTunes was pretty short - so I guess they had been in the editing room for some time before the public declaration.

Everywhere !! Rumours coming from everywhere

Here is a timeline and check out Doctor Who archive to keep up to date one the news.
    http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/12/05/missing-episodes-project-africa-and-the-omnirumour-a-timeline-of-events/

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/12/05/missing-episodes-the-rumours-for-december/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd say they're scrambling to see what they actually have and will try to announce it all before the end of the 50th year.

Then again they could just be idle rumours...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Everywhere !! Rumours coming from everywhere

Here is a timeline and check out Doctor Who archive to keep up to date one the news.
    http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/12/05/missing-episodes-project-africa-and-the-omnirumour-a-timeline-of-events/

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/12/05/missing-episodes-the-rumours-for-december/

Hmm, well if the rumours are to be believed, I guess the size of the haul would tally with other rumour about a massive find in Ethiopia. Strange the linked article talks about one recovered story having 'audio problems', surely that wouldn't be an issue given the audio already exists for all the missing episodes anyway?

By the way, did anyone else here check out the recovered Troughton stories in the end? Got my hands on Web of Fear and it was a helluva thing watching 60s Who; I paced myself and watched an episode every 2/3 nights, just so the padding wasn't so acute, and it required a bit of mental adjustment to get over just how ... twee it could be :)

• Advertisement

Missing Believed Wiped on December 21st would be the time for news.

Jaysus, I had completely forgotten about this story, still shrouded in mystery too by the sounds of it. It's unfortunate if that article's true and there are episodes stuck in legal limbo ...

Advertisement