Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb strike

Options
  • 06-12-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Need clarification,is it just that they will not be there if a power cut does happen or is it that they are flicking off the grid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Need clarification,is it just that they will not be there if a power cut does happen or is it that they are flicking off the grid?

they won't be flicking off the grid anyhow:pac:

i'm no lawyer but i highly doubt that's legal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If they go on strike many people will be without power. That is for sure.

We have been testing our generators on site for the past few weeks to ensure no impact on production.

The panel builder that I use told me that there has been a surge in requests for generator change over switches. I am due to install 2 generators in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Gonna be a pain in the ass have to stock up on ready made bottles and Milton for the baba!
    Due to test the gennie on load in work that day anyway so no day off for me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

they won't be flicking off the grid anyhow:pac:

We will know very soon.

"Minister for Energy Pat Rabbitte asked the LRC to intervene last night in the ongoing dispute which is threatening electricity supplies in the run up to Christmas"
    i'm no lawyer but i highly doubt that's legal

Unlike the gardaí and the army ESB workers can go on strike if they so choose without breaking any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    We will know very soon.

"Minister for Energy Pat Rabbitte asked the LRC to intervene last night in the ongoing dispute which is threatening electricity supplies in the run up to Christmas"

Unlike the gardaí and the army ESB workers can go on strike if they so choose without breaking any law.

you seem to have misread my post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

Since ye are talking about generators and power being turned off a real possibility now, would it be a big job to put in a transfer switch so when the power goes out the generator comes on and switches off then when power comes back on automatically?

you seem to have misread my post

Sorry about that, please explain.

Since ye are talking about generators and power being turned off a real possibility now, would it be a big job to put in a transfer switch so when the power goes out the generator comes on and switches off then when power comes back on automatically?

Generators are available that have a control panel built onto them that will do exactly that. Naturally these units are far more expensive and are not normally used in domestic installations. To answer your question, no they are not very difficult to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

While on strike ( the picket line ), no matter for how long a period ( hours maybe ), stations unattended will have their power switched off for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

EirGrid control the grid and they aren't going on strike. The non-ESB IPPs who produce power will be available (Bord Gais, Veridian, Dublin Bay, Edenderry peat, Tynagh, wind farms etc). Also EWIC and the plant in Northern Ireland will be available.
    Just pray for a windy day. Above 800MWs and we could be ok with minimal impact.

• Advertisement

EirGrid control the grid and they aren't going on strike. The non-ESB IPPs who produce power will be available (Bord Gais, Veridian, Dublin Bay, Edenderry peat, Tynagh, wind farms etc). Also EWIC and the plant in Northern Ireland will be available.
    This is good news, i will be ok so as i live beside a wind farm and they be going most days.

That is simply not enough.

There is now a serious threat of power cuts across the country this December after unions at ESB announced that they will serve notice of industrial action.

If the strike goes ahead as planned sections of the grid will be switched off.
    Different sections of the grid will be powered down at different times to "share the pain".

That will make almost no difference.

From the most recent data available (October 2013) just 0.475 out of 2.23TWh of our electricity demands were from renewables.

This equates to just 21.3% and includes hydro power generation.

This is good news, i will be ok so as i live beside a wind farm and they be going most days.

No, it simply does not work like that.
    If the planned action goes ahead and it is "your turn" to have your section of the grid switched off you will be without power, simple as that.
    There will be no special treatment for people that happen to live close to any type of turbine (unless you own a generator).

Do the public know yet how long power will be off in the day and will we know what days they will be? it is going to cause a lot of stress to everyone, i am ok i have a generator but my neighbour who is a farmer is getting very stressed as he has to milk cows, he needs power all the time for his milk cooling, electric fence and well pump.

Do the public know yet how long power will be off in the day and will we know what days they will be? it is going to cause a lot of stress to everyone, i am ok i have a generator but my neighbour who is a farmer is getting very stressed as he has to milk cows, he needs power all the time for his milk cooling, electric fence and well pump.

I don't know.

From what I hear on the radio they seem to be talking in terms of hours off at a time.

I don't know.

From what I hear on the radio they seem to be talking in terms of hours off at a time.
    If we knew in advance we could alter plans around the cuts, surely they will have to give prior notice? they cant just turn off the power and let us not knowing how long it be off for.

Personally I think it's an absolute disgrace that they are planning this,it should not be allowed to go ahead,yes I feel sorry for them for losing some of there pensions,but what about everyone else in the country that lost there jobs and have no pensions what so ever,as far as I'm concerned they can put up and shut up,sick of people moaning about stuff like this when there are always people less fortunate!ridiculous carry on by the esb workers,who might I add are highly paid for what they do!
    Rant over

Those who wish to debate the proposal by ESB workers to strike please do so on another forum. There is a thread here for that.

There is no problem discussing how to deal with the impact or what the impact might be on this forum.

Those who wish to debate the proposal by ESB workers to strike please do so on another forum. There is a thread here for that.

There is no problem discussing how to deal with the impact or what the impact might be on this forum.

No probs

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidmaguire_

What will be the story in relation to schools, will they stay open if they have no power?

• Advertisement

What will be the story in relation to schools, will they stay open if they have no power?

In my opinion, they would have to close.
    Insurance companies would not permit it for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidmaguire_

Well its a great year to do the Leaving Cert teacher strike threats and now esb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

When it happened previously in the 80's they had the country divided into zones and each zone was powered down to a timetable so it would have been possible to know when you had no power.

I presume eirgrid can control all the transmissions stations remotely so it should be a relatively simple task to organise.

In towns and cities simple things like traffic lights wont be working, there wont be enough man power to manually control traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It'll be interesting to see if they call in the DSU sites.

I'm doing a thesis on smart grid controlled appliances and have calculated that there's 480mw being used by domestic fridges and freezers in Ireland. If the grid could control them that's an extra 480mw to play with for an hour or two.

A smart grid would really help out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will a gas boiler work without electricity ?

I can't imagine it.

ted1 wrote: »

I can't imagine it.
    I read in another forum it wont, needs power for a pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

We all gonna die..no electricity..schools closed..traffic lights do'nt work...total chaos..zombies (high possibility)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVeYwHJJq8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If it rains while the power is off, the entire country will come to a stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ted1 wrote: »

I can't imagine it.

No, won't work at all. Neither will oil fired boilers.

Advertisement