Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC 2014 Brasil; Starts June 12th 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Setantabet refund if Brazil win only 30 euro but nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

No Asian teams to qualify from group at 7/4 looks an absolute steal. Only team i'd say has any chance is Japan and they're 6/5 to qualify so could easily hedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

neil.p.b wrote: »
    No Asian teams to qualify from group at 7/4 looks an absolute steal. Only team i'd say has any chance is Japan and they're 6/5 to qualify so could easily hedge.

South Korea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

bradlente wrote: »
    South Korea?

Be v. surprised to see them finish ahead of Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

bradlente wrote: »
    South Korea?

Against Russia and Belgium? G'luck to them.

lol offering 1966/1 on England winning world cup , max is £1 and uk only but signed up for 66euro freebet
    www.666bet.com

lol offering 1966/1 on England winning world cup , max is £1 and uk only but signed up for 66euro freebet
    www.666bet.com

Is their live chat not working?:/

Is their live chat not working?:/

Don't know im onto a winner on my first bet ill see what they are like paying out

http://gyazo.com/1d20cc498b4d82001cbc7a54e542aa40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Quick public service announcement: Victor are offering 10/1 on Ribery to be France's top scorer: twice as good as anyone else. Thing is, if I saw those odds on their own I couldn't be sure how attractive they were but when they're so out of step with the other bookies I'm assuming they must be brilliant. Still couldn't be arsed setting up a new account though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Ribery is a doubt for France, he has an injury, he may not be fit for the start

bri007 wrote: »
    Ribery is a doubt for France, he has an injury, he may not be fit for the start

Well that explains it then...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Group forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was just checking the outright prices and Spain are fourth favourites?

Seems bookies trying to entice me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Group forecast.

Can't see both Uruguay and England getting out of the group at the expense of Italy tbh, would regard it as a major shock if they don't qualify from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

No matter how good the value is if I don't think they'll get through there is no point in backing it.

If something is good value that means if you were to back it infinity times, you'd end up with a profit instead of a loss. If you can identify bets with good value you just keep backing them. Over a certain amount of bets the profit is inevitable. Turning down a value bet just because it won't win is the strategy of someone who is not going to make progress.

• Advertisement

Can't see both Uruguay and England getting out of the group at the expense of Italy tbh, would regard it as a major shock if they don't qualify from it.
    I fully expect England to get out of group D. Hodgson has team v well organised and difficult to beat. Has picked best squad in years i think with ideal balance of youth and experience. Will have them well drilled. Draw v Uruguay and Italy and win v Costa Rica will see them through at expense of Italy. All on first game v Italy.

I fully expect England to get out of group D. Hodgson has team v well organised and difficult to beat. Has picked best squad in years i think with ideal balance of youth and experience. Will have them well drilled. Draw v Uruguay and Italy and win v Costa Rica will see them through at expense of Italy. All on first game v Italy.

I think it's hard to pick between Uruguay and England but I will honestly be shocked if Uruguay topped the group with England in tow. Italy have a stronger starting XI than both of them.

I'm not being smart but "a balance of youth and experience" and "well drilled" are just clichés imo, all of the teams are going to be well drilled? :P

The creativity in that Italy midfield with Pirlo, De Rossi and Verratti is sick and if Cassano starts too then there could be chances created from anywhere for the Italians. This, coupled with a strong defense makes me think they'll top the group but as you say, the first game is crucial :)

Best of luck with the acca, would be some return from 50c :eek:

I think it's hard to pick between Uruguay and England but I will honestly be shocked if Uruguay topped the group with England in tow. Italy have a stronger starting XI than both of them.

I'm not being smart but "a balance of youth and experience" and "well drilled" are just clichés imo, all of the teams are going to be well drilled? :P

The creativity in that Italy midfield with Pirlo, De Rossi and Verratti is sick and if Cassano starts too then there could be chances created from anywhere for the Italians. This, coupled with a strong defense makes me think they'll top the group but as you say, the first game is crucial :)

Best of luck with the acca, would be some return from 50c :eek:

Cliches galore there you're right! But i do think hodgson has got it spot on with squad. England have never started out with higher odds (as outright winners) and this will work in their favour. Pressure off slightly and squad announcement was completely understated. Defo reckon they'll hold Italy. That acca was a complete whim. Thinking long and hard about serious bets for WC, trawling this thread daily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

How would that get them through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Warper wrote: »

All depends on other results. In the last world cup, 4 teams went through with 4 points and 4 teams went through with 5. while 5 doesnt guarantee getting through, its possible to top the group with 5

• Advertisement

Cliches galore there you're right! But i do think hodgson has got it spot on with squad. England have never started out with higher odds (as outright winners) and this will work in their favour. Pressure off slightly and squad announcement was completely understated. Defo reckon they'll hold Italy. That acca was a complete whim. Thinking long and hard about serious bets for WC, trawling this thread daily!
    I see where you're coming from :) , have to say the standard of tips on this thread has been fairly high so far in terms of the number of value bets!
    All depends on other results. In the last world cup, 4 teams went through with 4 points and 4 teams went through with 5. while 5 doesnt guarantee getting through, its possible to top the group with 5

It's also possible to go out with 6 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Australia and Costa Rica to both finish on zero points, 20 returns 105

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I stuck €200 on
    belgium to beat algeria @ 4/9
    france to top group e 4/5
    ivory coast to qualify from group c21/20
    australia zero points 11/8
    portugal to beat usa 4/6.
    quietly confident. but am concerned about belgium for some reason.

kerosene wrote: »
    I stuck €200 on
    Nice stake and bet. Has a very good chance.

Warper wrote: »

Reckon it'll be very tight group. Costa Rica no push overs either. I think five points should be enough to advance from group d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

kerosene wrote: »
    I stuck €200 on

Them odds on Belgium beating Algeria and Portugal beating USA are brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Bets so far few decent bets and low mad stupid bets for pittance.

€50 win Argentina 9/2
    €25 win Colombia 28/1
    €10 win Chile 50/1

Top Goalscorer special with PP bet €20 get a fiver every time he scores.
    €20 on Higuain 22/1
    €13 Balotelli and Benzema top scorers 10/1
    €5 Dzeko top scorer 80/1

To finish second in groups €5 accum.

Portugal 13/10, Bosnia 13/10, France 21/10, Russia 6/4, Holland 6/4

Group winner €8 accum

Germany 4/7, Argentina 2/9, Brazil 2/9, Italy 13/8, France 5/6, Colombia 5/6

€2.50 acc top scorers for their country.

Ronaldo 1/2, Dzeko 13/8, Balotelli 7/4, Cavani 13/8, Sanchez 21/10, Van Persie 6/5

€3 group straight forecast

Germany/ Portugal 13/8
    Argentina/ Bosnia 7/5
    France/ Switzerland 23/10
    Spain/ Chile 11/4

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Them odds on Belgium beating Algeria and Portugal beating USA are brilliant!

I was initially going to do belguim ht/ft @ 5/4 i think. But im a bit concerned about the algerians being much more acclimatised to the heat. I think Portugal to beat usa @ 4/6 is very good value, they will have a lot of support in Brazil as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Brazil and Fred top goalscorer 40/1

Ivory Coast/Chile/Russia/Portugal/Bosnia all to qualify from Group 14/1

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Lads anybody have an opinion on Eduardo Vargas @ 100/1 for top goalscorer? I reckon Chile could get about 6 in their group and possibly even top the group. I reckon he's great value, has 8 in last 10 with the national side. Sanchez 66/1 aswell I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

A couple of bets I like so far:

To Win Outright:

Spain - 13/2 E/W (Have the deepest squad at the tournament, huge tournament experience throughout the team. Whether this is 1 tournament to far for the likes of Xavi I don't know, but with a reasonable route to the semi-finals where the may meet Argentina and some breakthrough players like Koke, Azpilicueta and Costa they are the value team of the 4 favourites. History not on their side as no European team has won a world cup in South America.)

Small Stakes:

Portugal - 28/1 E/W (Really depends on Ronaldo's fitness, can beat anyone in a knockout game.)
    Chile - 40/1 E/W (Would make the semi-finals at least with a kinder draw)
    Croatia - 150/1 E/W (Great run of form, unbeaten in 11? games, Modric in superb form and have a good squad. Most likely meet Spain in 2nd Round but worth the punt)

Top Goalscorers:
    Neymar - 10/1 Win - Will definitely get 4-5 goals over the course of the tournament in Brazil have any chance.
    Lukaku - 33/1 E/W - In great form, have an easy group and should make the quarters.
    Dzeko - 66/1 E/W - Better than 1 in 2 international record (35/61), easy group, will probably meet France in 2nd round.

Small Stake:
    Vargas - 100/1 E/W - Depends on how far Chile go.

To Meet in Final:
    Brazil/Spain - 12/1
    Germany/Spain - 20/1

Team Top Scorers:

Main Picks:
    Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) - 9/4 (None of the Belgian team was prolific in qualifying (Lukaku only got 2 goals but his form heading into the tournament has been great)
    Edin Dzeko (Bosnia/Herzegovina) - 11/8 (Stand out pick for Bosnia, 10 goals in qualifying and 35 in 61 caps. Clearly their main man).

Other Picks:

Eduardo Vargas (Chile): 9/2 (In good form heading into the tournament, scored 5 goals in qualifying and is nearly 1 in 2 over his international career)
    Asamoah Gyan (Ghana): 7/2 or 10/3 : (Top scorer for Ghana in qualifying (6 goals) and 39 goals in 77 apperances for Ghana. Slight negative No longer on penalties - Mubarak took over during 2013 African Cup of Nations)

Golden Ball:

Neymar (Brazil): - 6/1 to 8/1 If Brazil are to win the world cup on home soil, Neymar is going to be the lynchpin in the team. He is the main goal threat and is on freekicks and penalties. His club form with Barcelona was poor but he seems to thrive on the pitch conditions in Brazil.
    Will most likely also be close to being Top Scorer in this situation.

Marco Reus (Germany): 22/1: On current form probably Germany's most dangerous attacker.
    Also mostly likely to feature in all of their games throughout the World Cup along with Thomas Muller in Germany's front 4 given Ozil and Gotze's form of late and competition with Schurrle, Podolski and Klose.

Lads anybody have an opinion on Eduardo Vargas @ 100/1 for top goalscorer? I reckon Chile could get about 6 in their group and possibly even top the group. I reckon he's great value, has 8 in last 10 with the national side. Sanchez 66/1 aswell I like.

I think Vargas is great pick, his form is excellent and he top scored for Chile in qualifying with 5, but the problem is whether Chile will top the group with Spain and Netherlands in there.

If they do top the group, they can easily make the semi finals and he gets 3/4 more games to increase his tally.
    If they don't they'll play Brazil who they've only beaten once in the last 14 years. (19 Games: 1 Win (2002 WC Qualifier), 3 Draws, 15 Defeats)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

I think Vargas is great pick, his form is excellent and he top scored for Chile in qualifying with 5, but the problem is whether Chile will top the group with Spain and Netherlands in there.

If they do top the group, they can easily make the semi finals and he gets 3/4 more games to increase his tally.
    If they don't they'll play Brazil who they've only beaten once in the last 14 years. (19 Games: 1 Win (2002 WC Qualifier, 3 Draws, 15 Defeats)

Yeah that's similiar to my thinking. I couldn't fancy them to beat Brazil but get a draw off Spain (providing they beat Netherlands and Australia) and goal difference becomes a major factor. I have them (-1) against Australia as one of my bets of the opening round! At 100/1 Vargas could be value, can't remember exactly but he was joint SA player of the year in 2011 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Also expect Chile/Vargas to get a bit in card trouble. Tough group to begin with and they dont have the mentality to pull out of tackles. Already have a serious amount of cards in the friendlies they played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Asamoah Gyan (Ghana): 7/2 or 10/3 : (Top scorer for Ghana in qualifying (6 goals) and 39 goals in 77 apperances for Ghana. Penalty taker for the team)
    Captain Asamoah Gyan insists he will only take penalties for Ghana during shoot-outs but not in in regulation time ahead of the 2014 World Cup finals.

But at club level he continues to bang in the goals from 12 yards.

Gyan was advised by his late mother to abstain from taking penalties for the Black Stars after the UAE-based striker was severally criticized following Ghana’s failed 2012 Nations Cup campaign.

The Al Ain striker missed a penalty in open play in the 1-0 semi-final defeat to eventual Zambia and he suffered abuses, which led to his temporary retirement from the national team.

Gyan says the decision to stand by his as a mark of respect for his late mum.

“Although my mother who advised me not to take penalties for Ghana is no more that is the last thing I have to do to pay my respect to her, so for now I won’t volunteer to take penalties for Ghana,” Gyan said.

“You see I am the first option in terms of spot kicks for my club, but that is not going to happen for Ghana because of previous experience, but during penalty shootout and it becomes mandatory for me to take a penalty I will.”

At the 2013 Nations Cup, Gyan was replaced by Mubarak Wakaso as Ghana’s penalty taker.

Gyan has scored a total of 39 goals and just one short of equaling Ghana’s all-time top scorer.

Country ......... Penalty Taker?

Algeria ......... Feghouli
    Argentina ....... Messi
    Australia ....... Jedinak
    Belgium ......... Hazard
    Bosnia .......... Misimovic
    Brazil .......... Neymar
    Cameroon ........ Eto'o
    Chile ........... Vidal
    Colombia ........ Rodriguez
    Costa Rica ...... Saborio
    Croatia ......... Kranjcar
    Ecuador ......... Castillo
    England ......... Gerrard
    France .......... Ribery
    Germany ......... Ozil
    Ghana ........... Mubarak
    Greece .......... Salpingidis
    Honduras ........ Bengtson
    Iran ............ Nekounam
    Italy ........... Balotelli
    Ivory Coast ..... Drogba
    Japan ........... Kagawa
    Mexico .......... Fabian
    Netherlands ..... van Persie
    Nigeria ......... Moses
    Portugal ........ Ronaldo
    Russia .......... Kombarov
    South Korea ..... Ja-Cheol Koo
    Spain ........... Villa
    Switzerland ..... Dzemaili
    Uruguay ......... Suarez
    USA ............. Dempsey

I haven't checked if these are in the squads
    or if they are first team choices.

diomed wrote: »
    Captain Asamoah Gyan insists he will only take penalties for Ghana during shoot-outs but not in in regulation time ahead of the 2014 World Cup finals.

But at club level he continues to bang in the goals from 12 yards.

Gyan was advised by his late mother to abstain from taking penalties for the Black Stars after the UAE-based striker was severally criticized following Ghana’s failed 2012 Nations Cup campaign.

The Al Ain striker missed a penalty in open play in the 1-0 semi-final defeat to eventual Zambia and he suffered abuses, which led to his temporary retirement from the national team.

Gyan says the decision to stand by his as a mark of respect for his late mum.

“Although my mother who advised me not to take penalties for Ghana is no more that is the last thing I have to do to pay my respect to her, so for now I won’t volunteer to take penalties for Ghana,” Gyan said.

“You see I am the first option in terms of spot kicks for my club, but that is not going to happen for Ghana because of previous experience, but during penalty shootout and it becomes mandatory for me to take a penalty I will.”

At the 2013 Nations Cup, Gyan was replaced by Mubarak Wakaso as Ghana’s penalty taker.

Gyan has scored a total of 39 goals and just one short of equaling Ghana’s all-time top scorer.

Thanks for that info. Thought he was still the penalty taker - missed the last African Cup of Nations.
    Still think he is their most likely player from open play.

Did you take Wakaso Top scorer on Betfair? Is he likely to start most games - I haven't seen Ghana play since 2012 ACON.

-- Edit -- Just looked it up Wakaso scored 4 goals in 2013 ACON, 3 penalties, 1 from play v Cape Verde in QF

I think Wakaso Mubarak is unlikely to start. My guess is one of the senior players will take penalties.
    My top scorer bets are Gyan at 400 and Mubarak at 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Group forecast.

For 50c its probably as well to do a few permations .For the sake of a fiver it could be well worth it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the PP top goalscorer special is one bet per account?think of doing Fred and Muller e/w if I'm allowed do the special more than once.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the PP top goalscorer special is one bet per account?think of doing Fred and Muller e/w if I'm allowed do the special more than once.

Place a €/£20 bet on a player in the World Cup Top Goalscorer market and get a €/£5 free bet every time he scores.
    Does not apply to bets placed in shops.
    Applies to bets placed on World Cup 2014 Top Goalscorer market only.
    Qualifying bet must be £/€20 or more on a single player, i.e. £/€10 Each Way qualifies.
    Maximum £/€5 free bet per selection per goal.
    Applies to bets placed from 7pm Saturday 24th May until 9pm on Thursday June 12th.
    Own Goals don't count.
    Goals in Penalty Shootouts don't count.
    FIFA.com will be used for settlement purposes.
    Free bet can be placed on any sport and is valid for 7 days.
    Paddy Power Football Rules apply.
    Paddy Power reserves the right, at its discretion, to exclude certain customers from this promotion and to change the terms or availability of this offer at any time.

Same offer is on at a host of books though , smartlivesports running the same offer betbright aswell, cant think of anymore off top of my head but there is more

Dzeko 25/1 with WH to be to prem goalscorer...definitely more enticing than Golden Boot for me.

Chile really are worth a bet at 50/1. If they top that group they have a chance to go very deep in the tournament.

Place a €/£20 bet on a player in the World Cup Top Goalscorer market and get a €/£5 free bet every time he scores.
    Does not apply to bets placed in shops.
    Applies to bets placed on World Cup 2014 Top Goalscorer market only.
    Qualifying bet must be £/€20 or more on a single player, i.e. £/€10 Each Way qualifies.
    Maximum £/€5 free bet per selection per goal.
    Applies to bets placed from 7pm Saturday 24th May until 9pm on Thursday June 12th.
    Own Goals don't count.
    Goals in Penalty Shootouts don't count.
    FIFA.com will be used for settlement purposes.
    Free bet can be placed on any sport and is valid for 7 days.
    Paddy Power Football Rules apply.
    Paddy Power reserves the right, at its discretion, to exclude certain customers from this promotion and to change the terms or availability of this offer at any time.
    I don't want to do a double,just want to do the special more than once.sems like I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Dzeko 25/1 with WH to be to prem goalscorer...definitely more enticing than Golden Boot for me.

Have this at 33/1 with PP -not sure if its still at that price now but was a few days ago.

OXlaide Chamberlain is injured for 10 days. Milner is 5/4 to start V Italy and Sterling is 13/8. Not a 100% arb but pretty darn close!

yabadabado wrote: »
    I don't want to do a double,just want to do the special more than once.sems like I can.

That looks good surely the likes of Neymar, Messi and Higuain will score 3 or 4. So you could probably make profit of those three alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Chile really are worth a bet at 50/1. If they top that group they have a chance to go very deep in the tournament.

Iv 10 each way on them @50/1. I reckon they'll go far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Iv 10 each way on them @50/1. I reckon they'll go far

I have a similar bet, €10 on them to win @ 50/1 and €10 to reach final @ 22/1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement