Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC 2014 Brasil; Starts June 12th 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Thats the question alright, Ivory Coast look strong though and they have better individuals and they are due to qualify from the group stage, they should have too much IMO.
    A fair assessment
    Yaya Toure in Form will make sure they do. Gervinho hasn't been to bad for Roma as far as I remember? Kalou,Drogba,Bony. Very strong attack force. Should over run Japan. Also forgot about Doumbia.

Yep, Gervinho had a very good season and always plays well with the NT.

The heat shouldn't be as big of an issue to them either. Not sure about the humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Do ye see Chile harming Holland and Spain? its a big issue for me and really its made me eliminate any betting on that group

Do ye see Chile harming Holland and Spain? its a big issue for me and really its made me eliminate any betting on that group

I think Chile will get 2nd to be honest.

Holland aren't as strong as many believe and Chile are flying. I know severals who are writing Spain off as potential winners which is foolish as they still have an elite group of players and their possession style should help to conserve energy in the heat.

I'd expect Chile to beat Australia, get at least a draw against Holland and possibly get a point off Spain as well.

I think Chile will get 2nd to be honest.

Holland aren't as strong as many believe and Chile are flying. I know severals who are writing Spain off as potential winners which is foolish as they still have an elite group of players and their possession style should help to conserve energy in the heat.

I'd expect Chile to beat Australia, get at least a draw against Holland and possibly get a point off Spain as well.

The thing with Holland is they breezed through their qualifiying group scoring lots of goals, Chile as far as I know needed a playoff to get to Brazil?

The thing with Holland is they breezed through their qualifiying group scoring lots of goals, Chile as far as I know needed a playoff to get to Brazil?

Chile finished 3rd in the CONMEBOL behind Argentina and Colombia in what was a much tougher qualification process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)#Standings

Also, the loss of Kevin Strootman will be detrimental to the Netherlands and RVP isn't coming off the back of a good season either. Van Gaal is also out the door after this tournament.

In contrast, Alexis Sanchez has just had arguably his best season to date and Arturo Vidal is among the best midfielders in the world.

I'm not saying Chile will walk it or anything of the sort, I just feel that they have enough in them to edge out the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Chile came 3rd, didn't need a play off. Holland always do well in qualifying, they just don't have the players this year unless the young ones really step up. I think Chile will get 2nd. Beat England and unlucky to lose to Germany in the friendlies. I like them a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ivory Coast are another of those teams that flatter to deceive, they have never won the ACN despite having clearly the best squad. Have they ever reached the KO stage of a WC? Personally i am avoiding having any cash on African teams, they are impossible to predict. I have backed Japan to qualify from G3, fancy Colombia to top it.

Chile are very dangerous in Group B and i fancy them to get through with Spain also. If Spain beat the Dutch in Game 1 i feel the Dutch will bow out at the Group stages. Sanchez is absolutely awesome for Chile as he gets freedom he never does at Barcelona. Vidal is coming back from an injury but should be ok for the WC, he has to be for Chile's sake. If Spain falter, Chile could even top the Group and if they do they could make a mockery of the 50-1. If they finish second though they face Brazil and that would be that i feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

looking at a top goalscorer bet at long odds, will Remy start for France??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

looking at a top goalscorer bet at long odds, will Remy start for France??

Probably not, will be a front 3 of Ribery, Benzema, Valbuena

And he'll prob have to fight it out with Giroud for sub appearences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Another long shot I fancy is the straight forecast for 3 of the groups:

1st/2nd:
    France/Switzerland
    Argentina/Bosnia
    Belgium/Russia

Comes in at 25/1 with PaddyPower, just stuck twenty on it there.

Obviously it's unlikely but as far as 25/1 shots go, it looks a very good one to me.

nice selection, I took them as a DUAL Forecast at 7/1 on PP
    I think those teasm will be the ones to qualify from those groups, but couldnt be sure on the order...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not sure why so many people think Holland will cause problems. Take out RVP/Robben that team is very average. Chile could well stick it up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not a secret that i am Dutch.... and i put a rather big stake on Holland not getting out of their group.

Reasons:
    Bad H2H against Spain.
    Bad H2H against Australia
    Chile had a disaster of a start in their qualifying campaign but once they got their new manager, things started to go really well. Had he been involved from the start, i think they would have been topping that group.

And reason no 4 > Sneijder looks like he will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

inforfun wrote: »
    And reason no 4 > Sneijder looks like he will play.

Has been some turn around in fortunes for a player who was one of the best in the world 4 years ago and IMO (as had money on him :p) should won the Player of the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Does Kuyt still play for Holland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Kuyt is in the squad but I don't think he starts, he will probably be on the bench

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Does Kuyt still play for Holland?

Shoudn't you be studying :pac:

Shoudn't you be studying :pac:

The disease has spread away from After Hours it seems :'(

The disease has spread away from After Hours it seems :'(

Saw it last night, thought it was hilarious. Really hope it catches here :pac:

Saw it last night, thought it was hilarious. Really hope it catches here :pac:

I don't! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Warper wrote: »
    Personally i am avoiding having any cash on African teams, they are impossible to predict..

Quite easy to predict of late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Has been some turn around in fortunes for a player who was one of the best in the world 4 years ago and IMO (as had money on him :p) should won the Player of the WC

All to do with his way of living. Too busy with his wife to act like the Dutch Becks and Posh.

Anyway

Most likely line up for Holland tomorrow vs Ghana

Taken fro ma website that has it right 95% of the time.

77ed495d-1e2c-4b72-ad92-8d9a32306dab_OranjevsGhana_tussenbeeldv2.jpg

I heard there Left Wing Back has terrible vision :pac: *gets coat*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

inforfun wrote: »
    All to do with his way of living. Too busy with his wife to act like the Dutch Becks and Posh.

Anyway

Most likely line up for Holland tomorrow vs Ghana

Taken fro ma website that has it right 95% of the time.

77ed495d-1e2c-4b72-ad92-8d9a32306dab_OranjevsGhana_tussenbeeldv2.jpg

That team looks pretty ordinary. Wouldn't fancy Hollands chances of getting out of that group.

Brazil or Argentina is 13/10 to win WC. But if You do Brazil Win at 3/1 and Argies E/W at 9/2 it would be better no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Small acc for the group stages to win the groups.

Brazil 2/9
    Argentina 2/9
    Germany 4/7
    Columbia 5/6
    France 5/6
    Italy 13/8

• Advertisement

What do people think speical in PP is 13/1 for Chile to reach the semi's.

Nuts102 wrote: »

They have a tough group with Spain and Holland, and if they get through that they will more than likely play Brazil in the next round so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

i'd say im gonna waste €50+ on that group tricast market, do like €1.80 on 25 slips+
    you can easily tell which groups will come 1st 2nd and 3rd:
    germany portugal usa
    belgium russia south korea
    etc anyone going big on tricasts too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

20/1 at VCBet.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/chile/stage-of-elimination

Mezcita wrote: »

That's for them to reach the semis and get knocked out.

• Advertisement

That's for them to reach the semis and get knocked out.

Which in fairness is the most likely outcome if they get that far...

Which in fairness is the most likely outcome if they get that far...

It's still a different bet though?

The first one was for them to reach the semis at 13/1
    The second was for them to reach the semis and then lose in the semis at 20/1

I do think they'll do well but they have a very tough draw. Getting out of the group will be a good achievement but beating Brazil (assuming they top group A) would be extremely impressive.

I must be the only one who just doesn't really rate Brazil that highly. I will throw a smell few pound on the Chile bet at 13/1.

I must be the only one who just doesn't really rate Brazil that highly. I will throw a smell few pound on the Chile bet at 13/1.

I'm not a fan of Brazil either, although they're definitely better than the 2010 team, they were brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

DominicKid wrote: »
    i'd say im gonna waste €50+ on that group tricast market, do like €1.80 on 25 slips+
    you can easily tell which groups will come 1st 2nd and 3rd:
    germany portugal usa
    belgium russia south korea
    etc anyone going big on tricasts too?

By big do you mean a bunch of 20c bets? Then yes i am!! Forecasting all the groups works out at a min of 200,000/1 so will probably do about 100 combinations. Guaranteed way to lose 20e but it will make games like Russia .v. South Korea a bit more interesting!

neil.p.b wrote: »
    By big do you mean a bunch of 20c bets? Then yes i am!! Forecasting all the groups works out at a min of 200,000/1 so will probably do about 100 combinations. Guaranteed way to lose 20e but it will make games like Russia .v. South Korea a bit more interesting!

This sounds like fun! :D

I've put Costa Rica, Hounduras and Australia in a to finish last acca. 1.87 @ Paddy power. I see Australia and Costa Rica as certainties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

James Rodriquez top goalscorer 150/1 with bet 365

Could be Comobias top player if falcao isn't fit and had a good season himself.

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    James Rodriquez top goalscorer 150/1 with bet 365

Could be Comobias top player if falcao isn't fit and had a good season himself.

Is Jackson Martinez a starter for them dye know?

Is Jackson Martinez a starter for them dye know?

He'll start if Falcao doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Was gonna throw another bit on Dzeko top scorer to add to the 100/1 I got few months ago but seeing hes dropped to 50-60s in some places, gonna steer clear. Tempted by him to be the first player to hit a hat trick at 125/1 although Bosnia do play Argentina first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Was gonna throw another bit on Dzeko top scorer to add to the 100/1 I got few months ago but seeing hes dropped to 50-60s in some places, gonna steer clear. Tempted by him to be the first player to hit a hat trick at 125/1 although Bosnia do play Argentina first

There aren't too many hatricks at world cups, Higuain v South Korea in 2010 and none scored in 2006.

Why are Colombia so heavy favorites for there group without Falcao being a cert?:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Winner Odds Stake Profit
    Italy 30.56 206.99 6,117.65
    Switzerland 200.00 11.00 2,189.00
    England 30.33 45.00 1,320.00
    Ghana 269.75 432.80 116,313.49
    Golden Boot Odds Stake Profit
    Asamoah Gyan 405.80 16.00 6,477.00
    Wakaso Mubarak 804.20 11.94 9,590.06
    Nominate Finalists Odds Stake Profit
    Italy/Netherlands 320.00 10.00 3,190.00

Staked €733.73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Just heard all 3 of Italys games are gonna be in sweltering conditions ,not only that but they're based in Rio,which is probably the worst place for them to be based in terms of where their games are,they'll have a ridiculous travel schedule.Its rumoured this is because one of the Italian delegations wife's wanted a beach where they would be based,really hope that's not true!

diomed wrote: »
    Winner Odds Stake Profit
    Italy 30.56 206.99 6,117.65
    Switzerland 200.00 11.00 2,189.00
    England 30.33 45.00 1,320.00
    Ghana 269.75 432.80 116,313.49
    Golden Boot Odds Stake Profit
    Asamoah Gyan 405.80 16.00 6,477.00
    Wakaso Mubarak 804.20 11.94 9,590.06
    Nominate Finalists Odds Stake Profit
    Italy/Netherlands 320.00 10.00 3,190.00

Staked €733.73

:eek:

Good luck!

Having watched Cameroon vs Germany, I think everyone has completely underestimated them. I put 50 on them to qualify @6, and I'll probably reback.
    bradlente wrote: »
    .Its rumoured this is because one of the Italian delegations wife's wanted a beach where they would be based,really hope that's not true!

Of course not. It will be due to a bribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Personally fancy Lukaku to do something this year, and at 33/1 he's very tempting.

Me too. Backed him for top belgian scorer @3. A good lone striker in a group where they should get a few and Belgium don't have many others to knock them in. Considering putting some on for tournament top scorer too. My only consideration is that a team that gets to the semi final gets 2 extra games over the team that only gets to the quarter final.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/belgium/top-goalscorer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Ronaldo, RVP, Lukaku, Dzeko all to top be goal scorer for their countries @23/1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement