Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry Type Land

• 07-12-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Anyone know how much reasonable west of Ireland forestry land is making. €3.5K + or -/Acre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

If you go on to Paul Laffertys website you have to register with your email address and password and you will be able to see lots of forests for sale all over Ireland.
    http://www.forestsales.ie/
    Regards,
    Jerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

2500 is the going rate as far as I know

Also depends if there is an established crop and what volume/hectare it contains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

auctioneer tells me that private forestry groups chasing large lots

auctioneer tells me private forestry groups are giving €4k/acre for lots greater than 50 Acres

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

Anyone know how much reasonable west of Ireland forestry land is making. €3.5K + or -/Acre?

Sligo land, good quality is getting near €4,000/acre.

• Advertisement

is that good quality for farming or forestry?

That's good quality forestry land. Was farmed.

Thanks BD
    that seems cheap
    25% of this is rough hilly ground Im on about

Thanks BD
    that seems cheap
    25% of this is rough hilly ground Im on about

Trees don't mind hills. Look at it long term. It must have good access to a main road, for getting the trees out. PM me if you want and I can get someone to walk it for you. No charge. Lots of companies will give you advice. I'm not employed by any. I'm a farmer/investor.

benjydagg wrote: »
    Trees don't mind hills. Look at it long term. It must have good access to a main road, for getting the trees out. PM me if you want and I can get someone to walk it for you. No charge. Lots of companies will give you advice. I'm not employed by any. I'm a farmer/investor.
    Thanks for the offer ,but,Im trying to keep the forestry people out !
    I have a fairly large block of land next door and if this 40 acres is planted it means all mine is worth is forestry value
    May be twisted logic but thats how i see it

• Advertisement

40 acres of Sitka will give €6,500 per year premium. Buy it!! Happy new year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

40 acres is only a small'ish plantation. It really depends on access- vicinity to a good road network, and/or reasonable quality pre-existing roadways, would enhance the value of a site.

Note- I always dispute this notion that hilly land is 'forestry land'- you can get very reasonable returns, for minimal effort (after establishment of course) from forestry grown on better quality, less exposed sites. Your final timber will likely be of a better quality too- fewer knots, higher density- than a SS crop on a hill give you.

4k per acre seems to be a good price- depending on access etc.

40 acres is only a small'ish plantation. It really depends on access- vicinity to a good road network, and/or reasonable quality pre-existing roadways, would enhance the value of a site.

Note- I always dispute this notion that hilly land is 'forestry land'- you can get very reasonable returns, for minimal effort (after establishment of course) from forestry grown on better quality, less exposed sites. Your final timber will likely be of a better quality too- fewer knots, higher density- than a SS crop on a hill give you.

4k per acre seems to be a good price- depending on access etc.

Rumour from a reliable source that a large block of land for forestry in Limerick made €4,680/acre before Christmas.

Im reliably informed that Government have a total of 26 Amendments to the Forestry Act of c 1947
    The major changes are geared toward recovering more money from the industry and particularly the farmers
    The main clawback comes with a proposal that all payments in excess of €80,000 to become taxable
    This equates to the value of about 8 acres of mature forestry
    So much for the tax free promise that lured farmers into forestry
    Also govt proposals are to consolidate farmers into co op types so they will be dealing with fewer people rather than all and that all sales will go thru this group and most importantly vat will be charged at 23%
    Has anyone anything def on these new amendments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

Interesting question, Massey Woman, I am in the Mid West region, and I know a lot of forestry type land around here has been designated SPA or SAC. These designations have really affected the value of poorer type land my area. On a side issue does anyone know if Coillte sell forestry land back to farmers, small piece beside us if they would sell it I'd be interested, not for farming but continuation of forestry would be a great winterage for stock?

I think you will find them quite approachable where they have purchased the adjoining land and havent yet planted it but unlikely to facilitate you wher the land is already planted and more importantly now deemed FORESTRY not AG
    Thats been my experience
    Dont forget they want good neighbours too and uncontested access later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I

Also govt proposals are to consolidate farmers into co op types so they will be dealing with fewer people rather than all and that all sales will go thru this group and most importantly vat will be charged at 23%
    Force people into co-ops? We living in the Soviet Union? While there's much to be said for co-operation, too may farmers have shut the gate on their planted land and done SFA, and will be only too glad to ride on the coattails of those farmers who actually took an interest and tended to their crop.
    How exactly do they plan to force people to sell through a co-op? Surely anti free trade?

A man’s right to work as he will, to spend what he earns, to own property, to have the state as servant and not as master... They are the essence of a free country, and on that freedom all of our other freedoms depend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

patjack wrote: »
    On a side issue does anyone know if Coillte sell forestry land back to farmers

My local auctioneer says yes, they will sell anything at the moment.

Advertisement