Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

Options
  • 07-12-2013 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

Im trying to set up a home network and have shared folder on my laptop and a desktop in different part of the house so that i can drop files into htat folder from either machine and view them. the laptop which is connected to a upc router via wireless, to a desktop that is connected to an o2 modem via cat5 but the modem has wireless it just cant be reached from the laptop. is this even possible?? also the printer is connected to the desktop via cat5 would be a real bounus to be able to print remotely,

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

As long as the two networks can route to each other internally then it is possible, do you have two independent internet connection in the house, Ie UPC and o2... or one connection and a spare old router.

What operating system is on the laptops

Printer should be connected to a router and not the desktop if you want to set up network printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can only connect a printer to a router if the printer has network capability.

Any printer connected to a PC which is connected to the network can be shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 techintraining

two separate internet connections. how would i go about routeing them internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you want all your devices on the same network why do you want two ISP's.

If the devices need to be able to connect to each other then they can share the one internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 techintraining

Its not what i want its the way things are and are'nt going to change unfortunately.

The two routers being the device's yeah ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Its not what i want its the way things are and are'nt going to change unfortunately.

The two routers being the device's yeah ?

One possible solution is to plug the two routers into the same switch. Provided the two networks have different subnets it should allow traffic to travel across the two networks. Not particularly elegant or efficient but it should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

How big are changes to the folders? Just use Dropbox

Advertisement