Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learners Permit

• 07-12-2013 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, I just posted this in motors and I got linked here. I just passed my theory test and I'm going to turn 17 next month. I know you have to be 17 to drive, but I was wondering if I could apply for my learners permit before I turn 17, because I heard it takes a while for it to arrive and I kinda need it as soon as possible. Also, how long do I have to have my learners permit before I can get my full licence and do I have to wait to take a test or can I get it over with quickly?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You have to do your lessons and wait 6 months before you can sit your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JConeill97

Anyone know if you can apply before 17, so long as you have your theory test done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

JConeill97 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can apply before 17, so long as you have your theory test done?

Doubt it. Maybe in the old system they would put you application aside until you turn 17 but the new one is processed there and then so I doubt the computers will accept an under 17 applicant. You could ring the NDLS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

As far as I know you must be 17. I applied for mine there and it took 6 weeks come with the new system, despite the staff saying 8-10 working days. I was waiting on the phone one day for 16 mins to get through to an operator and it took 2 and a half days for them to return to an email that I sent them. Really is a fantastic service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

JConeill97 wrote: »

You can't get it before you turn 17, no.
    In the UK you can, up to 3 months before your 17th. They should bring it in here IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement