Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas lights Celbridge

Options
  • 07-12-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Are they turning them on today, I'm out all day until this afternoon. Can't find anything on line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Very poor display of lights in the Village compared to Lexlip and Maynooth in my opinion, and after a day some of them have already stopped working. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not bad for a very small budget.

1476505_625403527517582_590774951_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vince mc

I think they are OK, maybe we can get a few ladders together and launch a raid on Liexlip. we could get their crib while were at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Why would the budget for Celbridge be so small compared to Leixlip or Maynooth? Are they not Kildare towns of a similar size?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

corm500 wrote: »
    Why would the budget for Celbridge be so small compared to Leixlip or Maynooth? Are they not Kildare towns of a similar size?

I thought that funds were provided by local businesses. Leixlip does have Intel and HP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have not seen them but Maynooth has nothing spectacular but is pretty and no tree:(
    Though in the square beside bradys there is a santa up high and he is pretty cool.
    I though it was the local community councils that put up the lights?

Celbridge would have nearly 1 1/2 times the population of Maynooth and Leixlip is slightly bigger again.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

I think Celbridge has a larger population than both towns

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Believe it's the chamber of commerce not the community council in Maynooth but that may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

The Maynooth Business Association are responsible for the lights, they spent 4500 to get the lights back up and running this year, as there were no funds to maintain them previously. I'd imagine they'll add to them in coming years

corm500 wrote: »

Leixlip have a Town Council that has an annual budget of 100K or so given by the Government to spend on the town. Town Councils are being abolished early in 2014 so things are going to change there.

Maynooth has a large student population of around 10K on top of its local population which gives more business to the local shops, restaurants, pubs etc. and thus they can afford to contribute more to Christmas lights and other events.

Celbridge doesn't have a Town Council and has to do a bit more "begging".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Again almost half the Christmas street lights not working, don't know why they bother. I know money is tight but its looks very bad. also why don't the OPW with unlimited Budgets !! have the Castletown gates, ave, and house lit up with a few lights.

Most are still working :) the wind was very hard on them.

It's a voluntary effort, anyone can join in and give their help to make next year's even better.

Advertisement