Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Meat?

Options
  • 07-12-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Does anyone known of a store that sells buffalo meat in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not in Dublin but I can tell you where in Cork is selling it at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Too long to go for me, but it might be useful to someone else to say where its available.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/gourmet_game.php

Try John Downeys butcher shop in Terenure, Buffalo is mentioned on their website .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In Dublin, I'd say that the butcher in Terenure mentioned above is your best bet.

Toonsbridge Dairy in Cork are also selling buffalo steak. They might ship it to you if all else fails.

:D

O Mahony's, English Market.
    It's Toonbridge water buffalo.

Water buffalo tail casserole tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

That butcher in Terenure will be getting my business asap, sounds great, thanks for the link.
    http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the wings are my favorite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

They sell it in O'Sullivans Poultry in the English Market. I use that shop for all my chicken and venison but the buffalo is a rip off, the steaks are fatty and not worth the cost. The venison is fantastic!

Dermighty wrote: »
    They sell it in O'Sullivans Poultry in the English Market. I use that shop for all my chicken and venison but the buffalo is a rip off, the steaks are fatty and not worth the cost. The venison is fantastic!

They don't cut the steaks very well.
    O' Mahony's present the steaks much better - same price as prime beef.
    In my experience buffalo makes incredible stews but the steaks can be a bit stringy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dermighty wrote: »

Buffalo meat is actually generally leaner than beef. I got some steaks from Toonsbridge when I was last home, and they were excellent.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Buffalo meat is actually generally leaner than beef. I got some steaks from Toonsbridge when I was last home, and they were excellent.

All the buffalo in the English Market is from Toonsbridge.
    Very lean, great flavour but my ribeyes were a bit stringy.
    Apparently way lower in cholesterol than beef too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

dudara wrote: »

Depends on the beef and the buffalo.

The steaks I've seen from Toonsbridge buffalos are small (ie they are not very wide) and have a large amount of fat for the amount of meat you get on the steak. This is not a result of how they are cut as striploin steaks have a bone on one side and the external fat on the other side so there's literally nowhere else to go. I saw their fillet steaks too and they looks like lean striploin steak instead of fillet.

That's not to say they are not tasty and that they don't have potential!

I won't be spending my money on it though.

Regards beef, where you get the meat and the quality of the animal dictate how fatty or how lean it will be. I don't buy marbled beef (despite the ravings of chefs) and I buy tbone steaks for €16.50/kg instead of fillet steak for upwards of €35/kg. Both have fillet steak in them, one of them is worth the money.
    They don't cut the steaks very well.
    O' Mahony's present the steaks much better - same price as prime beef.
    In my experience buffalo makes incredible stews but the steaks can be a bit stringy alright.

Well, O'Mahonys present everything very well. Having shopped around I've had better quality meat (which has costed more and less).

I don't think the buffalo steak looks like steak meat, if that makes any sense. I imagine it would be good in a stew, the buffalo meat I saw had nice looking fat.

Advertisement