Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - cost for utility connections

Options
  • 07-12-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I know im probably in the wrong thread here but could use any help thats going.Me and my partner are looking at purchasing a house priced at 60,000.4 bedroom 3 bathroom.Most internal 2nd fixing needs to be done except electrical work and all doors are hung aswel,so just timber floors need to go down and some plumbing no worries with any of this im a carpenter my bro is a plumber and my dad is an electrician.
    Thing is,weve got to get the esb connected,the gas connected and a gas boiler fitted,so any ideas how much these 3 things will cost???
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mickeyodee wrote: »
    Thing is,weve got to get the esb connected,the gas connected and a gas boiler fitted,so any ideas how much these 3 things will cost?
    ESB & Gas - it may very much depend on (a) where you are and (b) available capacity in the area. In an urban area, you might be talking about a few hundred to a thousand euros each. In a rural area you may be talking about thousands of euros each. If a new substation needs to be installed, there may be delay and extra cost. Get quotations from ESB Networks, Bord Gáis Networks and a reputable plumber. Make sure you have as-built drawings for the existing services. You may need to do the section of pipe / cable from the site boundary to the house.

Boiler - I imagine a thousand euros to install boiler and make everything work - that is assuming all the rads are in place and the pipework is in order.

Do you have a water connection? Drainage? Telephone / cable TV?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As Victor said- its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.
    Even in some parts of Dublin- you need special installations with voltage fluctuation protectors- just because you're towards the end of a line. You may get two quotes- one with modifications, one without- good luck to you ever using a computer or any equipment that expects a constant power supply- if you don't get a modified connection.

Sewage, gas and electricity- 'can' come to tens of thousands- however this would very much be the exception rather than the rule. If you're taking a connection via private property- prepare to be totally milked for every penny you've got.

There really isn't any point in any of us speculating- the cost will be determined by location- and ease of access for the various utilities. Urban connections can cost more than rural ones (as they may involve very restrictive working schedules).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

As far I know an ESB connection is negotiable if you bargain hard. Where was bord gais its a fixed price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hfallada wrote: »
    As far I know an ESB connection is negotiable if you bargain hard. Where was bord gais its a fixed price.

Negotiable- perhaps, to a limited extent. Bargain to your hearts content though- you are a captive buyer- they have nothing to loose- you do (as Brendan Ogle has hammered home.........)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Negotiable- perhaps, to a limited extent. Bargain to your hearts content though- you are a captive buyer- they have nothing to loose- you do (as Brendan Ogle has hammered home.........)

I know after the tolka flooded a lot of the northside in 2005. Neighbours were getting different prices for re connection fees, as their power had to be killed for safety. Although the houses were all identical, people got different quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I just found these:
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/single_house.jsp
    https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/reconnections-new-connections.jsp
    hfallada wrote: »
    I know after the tolka flooded a lot of the northside in 2005. Neighbours were getting different prices for re connection fees, as their power had to be killed for safety. Although the houses were all identical, people got different quotes

CER www.cer.ie have been clamping down on this. It used to be the situation where the person who caused the need for a new substation to be installed had to carry the whole cost for the sub-station (€10,000- €3m) while everyone who came along subsequently could piggyback on it for the cost of the cable and trenching.

Advertisement