Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Alarm!

Options
  • 07-12-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

There is a house in Wood who's alarm has gone off at least 3 times today.
    It abides by the 20 minute rule but then starts up again.

Which leads to a Question
    What should we do when we hear an alarm go off.
    Most people ignore it and hope it stops which kinda defeats the point of having one. If I were to go up to the front of the house and check it to see if it were a false alarm or a real robbery people would (and have) assume that I am the one robbing the place.

just something to consider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Techy_1 wrote: »
    There is a house in Wood who's alarm has gone off at least 3 times today.
    It abides by the 20 minute rule but then starts up again.

Which leads to a Question
    What should we do when we hear an alarm go off.
    Most people ignore it and hope it stops which kinda defeats the point of having one. If I were to go up to the front of the house and check it to see if it were a false alarm or a real robbery people would (and have) assume that I am the one robbing the place.

just something to consider

Inform the Gardai?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JanneG wrote: »
    Inform the Gardai?

No point, they won't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

2011 wrote: »
    No point, they won't fix it.

Well, the conundrum was whether to check if everything was ok or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If an alarm is going off, and its a few houses away, I'd take a look. If I knew my neighbour's alarm was going off and had means to contact them, I'd definitely let them know. I wouldn't bother ringing the guards unless I actually saw something suspicious.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Its always going off if its the same house I live beside,so bloudy annoying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

JanneG wrote: »
    Well, the conundrum was whether to check if everything was ok or not?

If the gardaí were to check out every alarm going off in Charlesland they would have little time to do anything else.
    This is probably why they don't.

If a particular alarm is frequently going off chances are it is faulty. If not then it would be neighborly to check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

There are noise pollution laws. The alarm is obviously faulty and the owner for some reason has elected not to have it serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Techy_1 wrote: »
    Most people ignore it and hope it stops which kinda defeats the point of having one.

Agree, the way many people don't bother with alarms going off I just wonder if the burglar only need to put up with the noise when cleaning the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

abacus120 wrote: »
    Its always going off if its the same house I live beside,so bloudy annoying

Have you knocked in to tell them of the problem?
    Huntthe wrote: »
    There are noise pollution laws. The alarm is obviously faulty and the owner for some reason has elected not to have it serviced.

How do you know this? Has anyone reported a potential fault to the home owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

antoniolgj wrote: »
    Agree, the way many people don't bother with alarms going off I just wonder if the burglar only need to put up with the noise when cleaning the house...

I don't get this. If one of our neighbours alarms go off we check it out. They do likewise. It's just what neighbours do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Swanner wrote: »
    I don't get this. If one of our neighbours alarms go off we check it out. They do likewise. It's just what neighbours do.

Well, that's what should happen.

I'm just replying to the Techy_1's comment that most people ignore it which defeats the point of having one. If people will ignore then why having it?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Yes i have numerous times,as it is very annoying,they just shrugged there shoulders and closed the door

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

DD9090 wrote: »

How do you know this? Has anyone reported a potential fault to the home owner?

It's a little implausible that they wouldn't know. Abacus post confirms that to be the case.

Advertisement