Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.308 target ammo

Options
  • 07-12-2013 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just throwing this out there to get a few opinions ect . Rang a couple of dealers today looking for the above as planning to do some plinking over x- mas . No one had any thing reasonably priced in stock bar premium brand stuff . I know This has been covered here on previous theads but most are outdated and need refreshing . Looking for dealers stocking hps , privi ,good milsurph like German "men" or anything else suitable for a 1in11 twist 308. Dealers name and price would be appreciated gents .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you are asking for 'target ammunition', then you are going to have to pay for target ammunition. MEN is NOT target ammunition, nor is PPU, but Hornady Match and Lapua Match and Federal Match ARE. .

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

HPS was very popular here some years ago. It was good, reliable, and consistent ammo. However with the introduction of reloading the majority of people that bought it no longer needed it. So with the fall in demand came a fall in supply.

One or two might still bring in a small quantity, but not in the array of calibers and weights as once was.

As for the PPU. I don't care how well people claim to get on with it, it is not a match bullet, and so results will not reflect the true ability of the gun. Unfortunately you may need to go for the more expensive factory ammo, unless you can source a supplier of HPS. Jim Griffin was the only man i knew that still carried a line of it. However i believe he has run out and again due to lack of demand there may be a delay between now and the time he replenishes his stock of them.

AFAIK he is the only person that until recently still carried any of it so i've no other names.

For a 1:11 twist you'd be looking more toward a "medium" bullet such as 168gr to 180 gr for best results although some rifles have a habit of shooting well with bullets that would not immediately be classed as suitable.

Hornady & Remington do a good match round in 168gr. Average velocities and good results from them. However you're looking at between €36 - €44 per box of 20 for them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

tac foley wrote: »
    If you are asking for 'target ammunition', then you are going to have to pay for target ammunition. MEN is NOT target ammunition, nor is PPU, but Hornady Match and Lapua Match and Federal Match ARE. .

tac

Tac ,just to clear up two points.I am fully aware that premium target rounds will cost .My post clearly states i want the ammo for some festive plinking . I am not looking for sub half inch groups so don't need ammo costing two euro a round or more.I am also aware that german MEN is milsurph and not target ammo,in fact i called it just that in my original post.Having said that, i have used MEN ammo in the past and it grouped excellent in my trg and would be ideal for my needs it if i could get more of it. HPS has got good reviews on here in the past but again who is stocking it.Hopefully some of the regular target shooters will kick in here and help out with this one.

I've also used MEN in both my .308Win-calibre rifles, with especially good results in the Krico out at 900m.

Your post was titled '.308 target ammunition', so I naturally assumed that you were looking for, uh, target ammunition.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

American Eagle?

• Advertisement

Over here, when somebody who does not reload shoots target .308Win ammunition, they most often seem to buy Hornady .308 Match.

But then, we tend to go by what the three local gunstores have. If they have Lapua Match, then no doubt these non-reloaders would shoot that, but at around £2 a shot......

This is what WE pay for HPS, BTW -

155 Palma New brass £115.00 per 100 rds - 137eu
    175 SMK new Brass £130.00 per 100 rds -155eu
    155 SMK (2155) reloaded £95.00 per 100 rds - 114.5eu

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Dont know if you can get it, I do not use it, but Federal white box 149 gr FMJ gets good reviews here. Not sure you would save much money if you could get it.

In loaded ammo, I have some South African, Portuguese, both pretty accurate, and my favorite Austrialian ADI. Generally I have found the Milsurp to be surprisingly accurate in the high end guns.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Only place I know with (or that had) HPS is Tackle Shop in Rahan.

Fingal Sports had MEN, don't know if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Pat White the game dealer in Claremorris Co. Mayo has a really good selection of ammo and at cheap prices. loads of .308 and .223 along with 7.62x54r and other European beauties. 0872872415give him a call hes good to deal with.

Advertisement