Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN on UPC

• 07-12-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I am on Horizon Essential Bundle since last few months. €73 per month.

I was getting CNN till couple of days back. Suddenly it stopped. It's now showing a message to call and subscribe.

What's going on? Have the removed the channel from this bundle.

Can someone who is on this bundle check and confirm if they are getting CNN?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just called UPC.

They have taken away CNN from this package and moved it to MAX :mad:

Now they want me to pay €7 extra to move to max to watch this channel.

This is really unfair. The girl was saying that they have moved another couple of channels to max.

I argued for over half an hour, I said let me get out the contract and I will move to Sky.

Apparently the channels are liable to change as per contract, you can do nothing about it. :(

I can understand if they are moving any premium or entertainment channel to max to make more money but to move a news channels to MAX package??? This is beyond any logic.

I am really pi***d with this. I won't be staying with them when my contract ends. At least not for the TV service.

Guys do yourself a favour, DO NOT GO WITH UPC FOR TV SERVICE.

Enough problem with the horizon box and now they are messing around with the channel lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I was wondering what had happened. Syfy too. That's all my recordings made useless. CNN was the only news channel I watched. Very unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MartyMcCarthy

Seems crazy to have a channel that is on freesat as part of a premium package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Just called UPC.

They have taken away CNN from this package and moved it to MAX :mad:

Now they want me to pay €7 extra to move to max to watch this channel.

This is really unfair. The girl was saying that they have moved another couple of channels to max.

I argued for over half an hour, I said let me get out the contract and I will move to Sky.

Apparently the channels are liable to change as per contract, you can do nothing about it. :(

I can understand if they are moving any premium or entertainment channel to max to make more money but to move a news channels to MAX package??? This is beyond any logic.

I am really pi***d with this. I won't be staying with them when my contract ends. At least not for the TV service.

Guys do yourself a favour, DO NOT GO WITH UPC FOR TV SERVICE.

Enough problem with the horizon box and now they are messing around with the channel lineup.

Might not be relevant to you, but UPC tend to announce price changes at the start of December, if they have (and you still have time to serve on a contract) then you have a 30 day window where you can terminate the contract with out penalty.

Might not be relevant to you, but UPC tend to announce price changes at the start of December, if they have (and you still have time to serve on a contract) then you have a 30 day window where you can terminate the contract with out penalty.

I dont think they will change the price of Horizon packages so soon.

I am so mad :mad:

• Advertisement

I was wondering what had happened. Syfy too. That's all my recordings made useless. CNN was the only news channel I watched. Very unhappy.

Exactly that's the only news channel I regularly used to watch. First I though it's just a glitch and it will come back. After the call to UPC I realised its gone for good. :(

Seems crazy to have a channel that is on freesat as part of a premium package.

This is one of the points I made. She was saying its the broadcaster not UPC who have changed. I asked her why they will change this since its a free to air channel and if you have a dish you can get it without paying anything.

Then she said the legal department may know about this. My reply was - we talk to customer care not legal department. If she can give me their legal department number I can call them. To which she just said she doesnt know.

In the end she said she cant do anything about it.

Moving a free to air channel to their max package??? I still cant understand this. May be we can ask the UPC representative here to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Is CNN free to air on Sky?

My friend told me that CNN is included in his basic package and as far as I know it's free to air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

CNN is on free sat; UPC this is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A channel can be on Freesat and still require a cable firm to pay them considerable sums to carry it if they want to.

It's not that they are not carrying it any more, they are trying to make more money out of it.

When it was always available on all packages why take them out and move to the max package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

CNN is on freesat; UPC this is ridiculous

CNN is on Freesat channel 207 and available to watch for free on any Sky box, channel 506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

save

Andy454 wrote: »
    save

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Exactly that's the only news channel I regularly used to watch. First I though it's just a glitch and it will come back. After the call to UPC I realised its gone for good. :(

You not watch Sky News
    Most Cable and Sky users watch Sky News

Freesat Most watch BBC News and Sky News

I watched CNN at most no more than 2-3 times this year

You of course may watch CNN more than most but most would be watching Sky News

CNN has not got the same status it used to have and I suspect most UPC Select Extra customers would not even notice it was no longer Free if they were not told about it

CNN when I do watch it was on Sky or Freesat and would have to be for a reason as something not been broadcast anywhere else and again was only 2-3 times this year
    JFK Program on 50th last Month and 2 other times during the year

I have never used CNN on UPC ever except to see if available as part of my subscription

UPC may have had there fee increased to supply the channel
    But I don't expect them to give you a reason for the change

I myself will not miss CNN on UPC

But I can understand anyone who does watch CNN a lot is not happy its no longer part of Select Extra and has been moved to Max
    I just don't see there is a lot of customers who do watch it

paulboland wrote: »
    You not watch Sky News

Freesat Most watch BBC News and Sky News

I watched CNN at most no more than 2-3 times this year

You of course may watch CNN more than most but most would be watching Sky News

CNN has not got the same status it used to have and I suspect most UPC Select Extra customers would not even notice it was no longer Free if they were not told about it

CNN when I do watch it was on Sky or Freesat and would have to be for a reason as something not been broadcast anywhere else and again was only 2-3 times this year
    JFK Program on 50th last Month and 2 other times during the year

I have never used CNN on UPC ever except to see if available as part of my subscription

UPC may have had there fee increased to supply the channel
    But I don't expect them to give you a reason for the change

I myself will not miss CNN on UPC

But I can understand anyone who does watch CNN a lot is not happy its no longer part of Select Extra and has been moved to Max
    I just don't see there is a lot of customers who do watch it

Do you really watch Sky news? It's too news centric for UK. The only thing I will watch on Sky is the Sports news. Other than that I would prefer to stick with CNN.

I dont really want to know what UK politicians are doing and what's happening around UK, other than some sports and entertainment news.

OK they do cover major events around the world and in those times I do watch it now and then. But everyday news... for me RTE will be for Irish news and then CNN for the world news. Also quite a few interesting programs on other continents that you dont find on Sky.

Sky mostly do 15 min news bulletin, last few days I tried to watch it. You see the same headline in the morning and when you return back in the evening its the same again.

I would prefer BBC World over Sky any day. CNN was my first choice.

Again it depends of what kind of news you are interested in. For me news around the world is significant part of my tv viewing time.

So its a definite miss for me. I may be forced to upgrade to max just because of CNN and I am not happy about it. :mad:

Also I have quite a few friends who watch CNN regularly, fortunately for them they are with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You don't even need Sky to watch CNN. Any cheap receiver will pick it up for free
    paulboland wrote: »

Including Ireland? I find that hard to believe. It is awful

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

But true, or certainly used to be, Sky News was the only general news channel on cable in Ireland until digital came along and it inherited a massive audience who turned to it for breaking news (or as filler). That said Sky News was a very different beast before the change to an all-rolling format in 2001-2 - much more worthy than it is now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement