Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculas Hunting Shooting Accusations

Options
  • 07-12-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Recently i got a stupid comment on "shooting and hunting" .They went on about how it is bad etc and people came up with stupid accusations also such as:

"People start off killing small animals (birds,rabbits) and then move onto bigger animals such as people and become serial killers" !?

Im sorry but how does anyone come up with this?

Also i was asked why do i shoot crows... because i have to because they are vermin to a farmer answer i got "That crow had a family" :rolleyes:

Nonsense some people come up with is unbelievable.
    Anyone else get these sort of people talking through their rear end? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You've just got to let it bounce off you really. Opinions like that can't really be changed and if you get angry with them you're only playing into their hands.

As I said to someone over in After Hours the other night on a shooting topic..just take a leaf out of Big Lebowski's book and say 'Yeah, well that's just your opinion man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

My mam is the worst for this. She will sit there telling you that shooting rabbits is cruel (while she's eating her roast beef). My counter arguement is that cattle are bred to be killed and eaten, I don't shoot every rabbit I see so a larger proportion of them get to live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Blay wrote: »
    You've just got to let it bounce off you really. Opinions like that can't really be changed and if you get angry with them you're only playing into their hands.

As I said to someone over in After Hours the other night on a shooting topic..just take a leaf out of Big Lebowski's book and say 'Yeah, well that's just your opinion man'.

Yeah i guess.Some people :rolleyes:

Looking up gun policy theres around 250,000 licence holders there all going to become serial killers dont think so... Theres the hard facts on dat 1!
    My mam is the worst for this. She will sit there telling you that shooting rabbits is cruel (while she's eating her roast beef). My counter arguement is that cattle are bred to be killed and eaten, I don't shoot every rabbit I see so a larger proportion of them get to live :)

My mam is not bad she understands why vermin need to be shot atleast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You have to "pick your battles". As Blay said there are certain people that simply will not listen. I find there are three types.
    1. Those that believe in shouting their opinion, and then sticking their fingers in their ears and humming while you try to counter that argument. You will never change their minds so why frustrate yourself trying to.
    2. Others may have a more open approach to it. They believe in one thing, but can listen to the other side while still maintaining their view point. These people are reasonable and can be debated with.
    3. The last group are those that change their mind. They are usually uninformed, and when shown what shooting is all about find it to either be not so bad or actually take a liking to it themselves.

You need to determine which category of person you are talking to and react appropriately as the situation demands. When i was younger i tried, in vain, to change the mindset of those in category 1 and it drove me mad. It took some time but i relaised i was wasting my breath so just took the "M'eh" approach. I'm originally from Dublin, and have some serious conversations with friends and family about my shooting. Some nasty remarks similar to what you experienced were leveled at me, but again i had to brush them off and resign myself to the fact that they were ignorant and closed minded.

I'm not so naive, even now, to believe everyone can be made to "see the light", but i defend my sport when and where i feel it appropriate to do so, and then the other times simply ignore any comments.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I love having this debate with the pseudo intellectuals especially if they want to start in a public forum, unless they are eating Tofu they don't have a leg to stand on :pac:......

Just use plenty of buzz phrases and watch them back peddle, and don't be afraid to break out the Thesaurus either :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As a lad said to me one day "if ya can't reason with logic, then baffle with bulls**t".
    The Aussie wrote: »
    .......... if they want to start in a public forum, .............

Not this forum.

(he says, picking up the ban hammer :D)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    As a lad said to me one day "if ya can't reason with logic, then baffle with bulls**t".

That's the best bit, they would not know a battery hen from a pheasant.

Cass wrote: »

Not this forum.

(he says, picking up the ban hammer :D)
    fun stopper :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

If its a meat eating person giving you grief for this nonsense, just ask them if you would like to do a google image search for "killing floor abattoir" for them, that i'll shut them up. If its a veggie, just make personal remarks about the fact they never stop farting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Guess I live in the wrong place. I've never ever encountered a nay-sayer when pressed to say what I do in my leisure time.

It's simple, I either shoot guns or play trains, as anybody who has seen my stuff on Youtube would testify.

I've certainly had the p*ss taken out of me for 'playing trains', never mind that on occasions the 'train' weighs almost 300 tons and is over 100 feet long, but never for shooting. Mind you, I don't frequent the kinds of gathering where people of opposing opinions opinion to mine actually attend. Perhaps the OP is talking to the wrong kind of people...

Steam or gunsmoke - all the same to me.

Do I sound as though I care about people and their opinions?

The family DGAS-o'meter hasn't even twitched.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I've certainly had the p*ss taken out of me for 'playing trains'.

tac

sorry, can't help myself at times.

• Advertisement

Aaaaaaaw, bless!

Raise ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPy0BXHp7fA

Move up to 1:13.......................

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaw, bless!

tac

I've got a 3 year old here, I can see Daddy Pig with cross hairs on him for hours on end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Not that I'm an expert in the subject. But serial killers do prob start of killing small animals. But they hurt them aswell by means of causeing pain and slow death.

Any decent hunter I know actuaaly gets distressed himself if his kill isn't quick and clean. I suppose the difference is compassion.

Your aswell of not even talking about it lad just let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

1shot16 wrote: »
    .....why do i shoot crows... because i have to.....
    .....She will sit there telling you that shooting rabbits is cruel.....
    1shot16 wrote:
    .....around 250,000 licence holders there all going to become serial killers.....

Serial killers??? yeah thats laughable alright. Ask my fields of barley for their opinion. How many young plants die because of pigeons, crows and rabbits. Them be the real "cereal killer";)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Well this one time I got my favourite knife and...

Shiote I thought this was the serial killers forum....

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1shot16 wrote: »
    Recently i got a stupid comment on "shooting and hunting"
    Yeah, that happens. You learn to recognise that the most important word in there is the one I've highlighted ;)
    Im sorry but how does anyone come up with this?
    See above :)

To be fair, in a few cases it's down to ignorance rather than being stupid (and by ignorance, I literally mean "not knowing about"). In those cases, you can try to highlight counterpoints if you've got the time or inclination, but in general, I don't try too much anymore. If it's a public platform, that's a different story -- you still have next to no chance to change the complainer's mind (because nobody changes their mind mid-argument in Ireland, we view it as losing face or some such daft ****e, which is why we so often see our government run headfirst into walls and destroy our healthcare system, our educational system, our economy or whathaveyou), but you could have a chance to change the mind of the undecided people who are also reading but not posting. In those cases, just be polite, explain the fundamental counterpoints clearly, don't try to get a dig in, then leave before the stress kills you.

See also, definition of stress:

Funny-definitions-stress.jpg
    Anyone else get these sort of people talking through their rear end? :rolleyes:
    Sadly yes, and often from TDs. Have you read the threads on the last few batches of firearms legislation? :D

As an early new year resolution, I hereby promise, in front of you all, not to make any comments on ANY Irish firearms legislation, unless, in the great unlikelihood, I am asked to do so.

tac

Advertisement