Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurley too long,disadvantages and maybe cut off a few inches?

• 07-12-2013 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

So i have recently gotten into hurling but my Hurley is too long for me (36 inch), unfortunately refund is not an option so i am wondering what are the disadvantages of a hurley that is too long and whether or not cutting off a few inches is a good idea.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TimCTG wrote: »
    So i have recently gotten into hurling but my Hurley is too long for me (36 inch), unfortunately refund is not an option so i am wondering what are the disadvantages of a hurley that is too long and whether or not cutting off a few inches is a good idea.

Not sure how you could cut off any of it. Just buya shorter one. Regarding advantages and disadvantages it's highly subjective. It just depends what you like. If you're new to the game you'll just have to try a few different ones to find what's right for you. People debate this stuff endlessly but mainly cos they enjoy the discussion, ultimately you just like what you like.

Fir what it's worth, in my opinion a 36 is very unwieldy for a new hurler, much harder to control the ball. But I dunno what height you are. The advantage of a longer hurl us you can get a longer strike but you are also more likely to get hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If its any use to you. I shortened one during the year, that one of the lads on the team had but was too light for him. It was a lovely hurley except a 36" and I use a 32". I was told of several ways to shorten it.

What i did was cut the butt off, then several inches off the end until it was the required length, drilled a hole through the butt and end, fill the hole with glue and drove a long narrow screw down through it.

It has seen a few matches and a lot of training sessions and the butt hasn't budged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TimCTG

Thanks, but why did you have to drill a hole and fill it with glue?

Thanks, but why did you have to drill a hole and fill it with glue?

I wanted to give the butt more grip, seeing as i would have weakened it by cutting it. Glue in the hole before the screw went should see it being fairly strong now and I doubt it'll break easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TimCTG

Thanks, you ve been very helpful :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, you ve been very helpful :D

No problem, and remember, pull hard, he's no relation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Smaller hurley = lighter
    easier to swing from the wrists (where a swing should come from)
    hands closer to the bas (and ball), so better first touch
    easier to use hurley with one hand to snig, hook and block due to lighter hurley

Advertisement