Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, I need to identify a caterpillar so I can feed him before it is too late.

Options
  • 07-12-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I found a caterpillar in my salad in a restaurant in Dublin, Ireland. I took him home and have tried feeding him 6 kinds of lettuce, leaves from my tomato plant, grass, cabbage, broccoli, chives, a daffodil leaf and I even tried a chilli plant leaf and a piece of carrot. These are the only leaves I could find this time of year. He hasn't eaten in 2 days. I don't want him to starve to death.

Please help me identify him so I can see if it is possible to find him food before it is too late.

Thank you all very much.

Sue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I'd say it's a 'Lesser Green Troll' caterpillar, I wouldn't bother trying to feed it. Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sue_bubbles

I'd say it's a 'Lesser Green Troll' caterpillar, I wouldn't bother trying to feed it. Dave

Why shouldn't I try to feed it? Is the food hard to find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Would a vet do anything for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sue_bubbles

Boaty wrote: »
    Would a vet do anything for it?

Haha, I don't think vets do caterpillars!
    More of a wildlife enthusiasts wheelhouse than a vet in this case. I think a vet would be more likely to feed it TO something than to feed it, if you know what I mean :-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If anyone has anything useful to add feel free to PM me, thread closed otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement