Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Youtube rules...

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:14pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, youtube are bringing in some new rules for partners which might make things a little awkward for us.

They're starting to review partner videos. That means, firstly, that videos might take 2 days after an upload to appear- also they might not let me upload them if they don't like them.

I've a couple of ideas how to deal with this, I'm going to mail the various FG companies and see if they give fan licenses, and also I've made a back up channel www.dailymotion.com/brianvondoom in case they start refusing any videos.

Just thought it should be mentioned in case I have to start making changes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And here I was, thinking youTube couldn't get more annoying :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    And here I was, thinking youTube couldn't get more annoying :pac:

Honestly, sometimes it feels like they don't actually want people making videos for them anymore, and they really only want to keep it about as a marketing tool for businesses.

http://cramgaming.com/youtube-getting-tough-video-game-monetization-12989/

Looks like it's going to mainly be a pain in my arse but not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Youtube needs some serious competition. YT videos load badly with massive ads and horribly downscale resolution and framrate. Their bots harrass anything that even sounds like something someone else owns and they obviously don't give a damn about user empowerment and are willing to bend over backwards for any corporation. If a website comes along that allows uploaders to make money off their popular vidoes then I expect or more so HOPE that YT burns to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Murderous Neil

for a second I thought the title meant "New Youtube Rules" as in "Yeah, this rules!". That was a bit extremely overoptimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I have been told this is good watching. Haven't checked it myself yet though:

As much as Phil is usually an idiot, as long as I've been on youtube I've seen him fighting the good fight and deep in discussion with Google over this stuff.

I've watched the first 12 minutes and I've heard similar things to the points he says.

Weirdly I don't have any content matches yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New tournament rules:
    • Players MUST mash the Start button at the beginning of rounds.
    • Games will be recorded on mute. Instead, the commentators will imitate every single sound effect. Marvel commentators will get an pack of lozenges after every third match for their efforts.
    • At the end of rounds, the "Win" animation will be replaced by pictures of Zeus.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    New tournament rules:
    • Games will be recorded on mute. Instead, the commentators will imitate every single sound effect. Marvel commentators will get an pack of lozenges after every third match for their efforts.

I know you jest but not recording cut scenes and altering the sound may prevent a lot of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Run the sound through a pitch-shifter by about a quarter tone. Should work.

• Advertisement

Kanped wrote: »
    Run the sound through a pitch-shifter by about a quarter tone. Should work.

Trick is doing that before xsplit, as no way am I doing it for every video :D

Yo, Doom, just a heads-up; I got content matched on the music from some old SF4 videos, so they will automatically claim that. I believe if there's commentary over it, though, they may not be able to match the content. Seems like about a minute of the music, uninterrupted, will trigger the flag, though.

"Hideyuki Fukasawa-Deserted Temple Stage -Japan-", sound recording administered by: 3:16
    [Merlin] Phonofile
    IDOL
    Shock Entertainment Pty

Interesting. Still no claims here.

I'm usually dilligent about this stuff, maybe I got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Murderous Neil

The Content ID seems to be targeting more large scale youtubers. Angry Joe said he got 62 of his vids content matched, and apparently all of these vids were over or almost at a million views. Also came across this today http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/blizzard-ubisoft-and-capcom-help-gaming-content-creators-battle-youtube-copyright-claims/

I wonder if Twitch would consider upping its game and allowing non-streamed video content to be uploaded, and a subscription feed, comment system etc.

If Youtube is going to just keep getting worse, and they already have a reasonable profile, it may be a viable alternative for content creators, especially considering how many of them stream anyway.

Only problem really is the paid subscription model Twitch is currently operating under, as some providers use it to limit access to chat (which would extend to comments) and archives (on demand content), so I guess that would need to be changed if they wanted to go down that route.

Would you look who's getting involved...

Trick is doing that before xsplit, as no way am I doing it for every video :D

Xplit sucks btw. Try open broadcaster.

It might suck but it works with a lot more PVRs than OBS does.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MazManZero

OBS doesn't support Hauppauge right now. :( Otherwise, I'd be trying it myself.

I see. Never had many problems with it that weren't my own fauly. I use it in conjunction with dxtory

• Advertisement

Classic games room has apparently moved to dailymotion.

Possibly the beginning of a rot on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Yo, Doom, just a heads-up; I got content matched on the music from some old SF4 videos, so they will automatically claim that. I believe if there's commentary over it, though, they may not be able to match the content. Seems like about a minute of the music, uninterrupted, will trigger the flag, though.

"Hideyuki Fukasawa-Deserted Temple Stage -Japan-", sound recording administered by: 3:16
    [Merlin] Phonofile
    IDOL
    Shock Entertainment Pty

I can confirm this. Looks like sticking with training stage is the way to go for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know you jest but not recording cut scenes and altering the sound may prevent a lot of the problems.
    I wonder will "mods" appear that will swap out any sounds with generic copy-left beeps, and any cut-scene video with a generic copy-left picture, for no other reason than to allow people record matches and comment on gameplay?

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder will "mods" appear that will swap out any sounds with generic copy-left beeps, and any cut-scene video with a generic copy-left picture, for no other reason than to allow people record matches and comment on gameplay?

Probably. I know some people turn off the sound in RPG lets plays and voice the characters themselves :/

BTW kanped/ Chris, Capcom have been on twitter asking people to highlight their content id claims, you should probably get in contact if you've had any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You could use the Xbox music player feature to play Creative Commons music for the stages instead of the game music, might get around it.

Probably. I know some people turn off the sound in RPG lets plays and voice the characters themselves :/

BTW kanped/ Chris, Capcom have been on twitter asking people to highlight their content id claims, you should probably get in contact if you've had any.

I already just hit 'accept' on them. I don't monetize my videos because I don't think the content I make has any value beyond the fun I have making it. It doesn't count as a copyright strike, and the videos don't go down. If I start making proper stuff that takes effort, then I will do that.

I *was* thinking of making a 'how to Let's Play in 2014' video, with some Nintendo or Sega game and completely **** up the audio and video beyond recognition and finish by telling people that it'sd available on Steam or whatever. Point out the lunacy of all this.

I already just hit 'accept' on them. I don't monetize my videos because I don't think the content I make has any value beyond the fun I have making it. It doesn't count as a copyright strike, and the videos don't go down. If I start making proper stuff that takes effort, then I will do that.

I *was* thinking of making a 'how to Let's Play in 2014' video, with some Nintendo or Sega game and completely **** up the audio and video beyond recognition and finish by telling people that it'sd available on Steam or whatever. Point out the lunacy of all this.

I'm considering something similar, for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm considering something similar, for the craic.
    If you look at some of the anime on Youtube, you'll see that it was horizontally switched to get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This whole thing actually got me thinking about why these two video game shorts from earlier in the year don't use their appropriate game music:

Mario and Luigi Ultimate attack has parody music vaguely similar to the music from the series, but isn't even close enough to be considered a remix.

And the Dovahbear series based in Skyrim makes a point of crediting its soundtrack to Royalty free music

Credited music: http://www.neosounds.com/royalty-free-music-8905-the-descent-lynnemusic.html

So while 6-12 months ago I was thinking "Why did these guys go so far out of their way, rather than just using the music from the game?"

Clearly the answer today is that "They had more foresight than most, and kept their original content squeaky clean from the copyright spiders"

• Advertisement

So while 6-12 months ago I was thinking "Why did these guys go so far out of their way, rather than just using the music from the game?"

Clearly the answer today is that "They had more foresight than most, and kept their original content squeaky clean from the copyright spiders"

I've still got no claims, think it's because I avoid cut scenes and it's very rare to hear music I don't own without someone talking over it.

It'd be great if some of SDM's music got claimed. I'd love to have that chat with them.

Advertisement