Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To claim or not to claim?

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have a question regarding motor insurance. I got a dent on my car while I was trying to enter a narrow driveway in the evening. This driveway leads to my apartment's parking area. It was a difficult space to enter because I didn't have much room to turn my car. In theory, it is possible to enter this space with enough time, but I rushed it a bit and got a dent in the side panel.

My insurer has a "no claims bonus protection", which states that I can make two claims in a three year period and it won't affect my no claims bonus rights. I have never claimed before, so I'm not sure if I would get compensation in my case.

Given the nature of my error, should I claim for insurance or would I be better off paying for the repairs myself?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's an economic decision which depends on the numbers so nobody can give you the right answer but be aware that "no claims bonus protection" only applies to your own insurance company, it does not mean that you can get a quote from a different company and be treated as someone with a claim-free record.

If you submit a claim, it is the practice in the industry that nobody else will quote you for your next policy until the passage of time has 'cleansed' your record, this means that you will be at the mercy of your own company when it comes to renewal time.

In my case I have a very good record but my insurance company tries in on with every renewal so I have to use some serious threats to move to get them to reduce the quote. If I had had a claim during the year, I wouldn't be in such a strong position, with or with out "no claims bonus protection".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I have a question regarding motor insurance. I got a dent on my car while I was trying to enter a narrow driveway in the evening. This driveway leads to my apartment's parking area. It was a difficult space to enter because I didn't have much room to turn my car. In theory, it is possible to enter this space with enough time, but I rushed it a bit and got a dent in the side panel.

My insurer has a "no claims bonus protection", which states that I can make two claims in a three year period and it won't affect my no claims bonus rights. I have never claimed before, so I'm not sure if I would get compensation in my case.

Given the nature of my error, should I claim for insurance or would I be better off paying for the repairs myself?

Thanks!

How much is your excess? how much is the repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

The excess is 250 Euro, and repair costs about 400 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Considering you have to pay e250 excess anyways-leaves e150 for insurance.

I would leave the no claims bonus protection alone in case of bigger claims, i.e., Id an accident a few years ago with e3000 damage (skidded on ice) and had to use it (excess was about e250 as well).

With the difference of e150, dont use one of the two claims for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The excess is 250 Euro, and repair costs about 400 Euro

If nothing else, that should make your mind up.

• Advertisement

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Considering you have to pay e250 excess anyways-leaves e150 for insurance.

I would leave the no claims bonus protection alone in case of bigger claims, i.e., Id an accident a few years ago with e3000 damage (skidded on ice) and had to use it (excess was about e250 as well).

With the difference of e150, dont use one of the two claims for this.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I have resolved this situation by not claiming. Too much risk. Feel free to close this thread

Advertisement